The Student Room Group

Bristol vs Birmingam pleaseplease help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I graduated from Birmingham in 2008. It's a great university and absolutely will not put you at any disadvantage going there. Three main things for you to think about are;

1) If you're planning on going on to do your LPC people your choice of Law School is equally as important as your choice of university. Remember to work hard from the get-go. Law firms will scrutinise every mark for every module. In terms of MCs taking people from Birmingham, I can think of at least 5 people in my close circle of friends who work for/have worked for the likes of Accenture, KPMG and PwC.

2) Most employers do not differentiate between redbrick universities. If you get a 1st from Bristol or a 1st from Birmingham it doesn't matter. You got a 1st from a good university. You've proven yourself. So, I implore you to choose the university where you feel you're going to get the best overall experience. That is not limited to your academic experience but your involvement in extra-curricular activities and societies. University is hard - especially in your first year. You make huge adjustments to your life so you have to go where you want to go. Otherwise you'll be miserable.

3) Whilst there is a good ethnic mix at Birmingham, don't let that be the deciding factor. I understand it is important for you to be surrounded by people who understand your background and culture but it is equally important to mix with people whoever they are. Including if they are "Rahs".

You will have a gut feeling about which university you want to go to. Go with it. It'll all turn out right in the end. And if its not right, it's not the end.

Good luck with your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Els523
I graduated from Birmingham in 2008. It's a great university and absolutely will not put you at any disadvantage going there. Three main things for you to think about are;

1) If you're planning on going on to do your LPC people your choice of Law School is equally as important as your choice of university. Remember to work hard from the get-go. Law firms will scrutinise every mark for every module. In terms of MCs taking people from Birmingham, I can think of at least 5 people in my close circle of friends who work for/have worked for the likes of Accenture, KPMG and PwC.

2) Most employers do not differentiate between redbrick universities. If you get a 1st from Bristol or a 1st from Birmingham it doesn't matter. You got a 1st from a good university. You've proven yourself. So, I implore you to choose the university where you feel you're going to get the best overall experience. That is not limited to your academic experience but your involvement in extra-curricular activities and societies. University is hard - especially in your first year. You make huge adjustments to your life so you have to go where you want to go. Otherwise you'll be miserable.

3) Whilst there is a good ethnic mix at Birmingham, don't let that be the deciding factor. I understand it is important for you to be surrounded by people who understand your background and culture but it is equally important to mix with people whoever they are. Including if they are "Rahs".

You will have a gut feeling about which university you want to go to. Go with it. It'll all turn out right in the end. And if its not right, it's not the end.

Good luck with your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont suppose you can help me out here - have a massive dilemma!
Basically, I have offers to study economics at birmingham/york/manchester but I am also exploring the possibility of a school leavers programme with PWC.
They say they'll offer me a salary (around 18k) and help me study towards CFAB and ACA.
I really don't know which route to take as PwC state that school leaver generally proceed faster than a grautae joining them.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Reply 22
If it were me in your situation I would go with university. If you have offers to study at such good institutions you should take them. Especially to do something like economics. That way you will have a qualification that no one can take away from you.

My reasoning behind this is, since the age of 18, I have changed my mind on what I want to do about 5 times! You may get into the PwC thing and decide you hate it. And you won't have a degree.

Whereas if you go to uni you give yourself 3 extra years to figure out what you want to do, you'll gain loads of life experience and will, hopefully, have a great time. Then you can make the decision at that point. There will be so many more opportunities available to you once you have a degree. Especially if you do well.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i've got an unconditional from birmingham, but i wish i'd applied to bristol, if i had offers from both i would have picked bristol.
Reply 24
Original post by woodchuck
i've got an unconditional from birmingham, but i wish i'd applied to bristol, if i had offers from both i would have picked bristol.

May I ask why? just on prestige?
still so confused got till thurday to decide haha
Original post by alleta95
May I ask why? just on prestige?
still so confused got till thurday to decide haha

mainly yeah, its a great university, remember though if you choose birmingham you'll be on the same course as me so thats something in favour of birmingham :^_^:
Reply 26
Chose Birmingham incase anyone still cares
thanks for all your help guys
Original post by alleta95
Chose Birmingham incase anyone still cares
thanks for all your help guys

woohoo, see you next year hopefully :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending