The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

How good are the universities of Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and York at rowing? I'm applying to all of them and just wondering on their general performance.
Original post by mctruffle
How good are the universities of Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and York at rowing? I'm applying to all of them and just wondering on their general performance.

The BUCS leagues are probably the best indication of how well universities do at different sports. You'll need to filter by sport, but these are the tables. http://www.bucs.org.uk/bucscore/BUCSPoints.aspx

That said, BUCS is of relatively little importance to rowing, so you might also like to have a look at results for HoRR and Henley Regatta.
(edited 10 years ago)
The BUCS leagues are probably the best indication of how well universities do at different sports. You'll need to filter by sport, but these are the tables. http://www.bucs.org.uk/bucscore/BUCSPoints.aspx

That said, BUCS is of relatively little importance to rowing, so you might also like to have a look at results for HoRR and Henley Regatta.

Ah ok, thank you :smile:
Reply 1203
Hi, I'm really interested in taking up rowing in sept with my uni. I was just wondering if you find it expensive or not. Thanks
Original post by Peanut
Hi, I'm really interested in taking up rowing in sept with my uni. I was just wondering if you find it expensive or not. Thanks

It really varies between clubs - rowing is an expensive sport (equipment, boathouse, coaches etc), but that doesn't mean that it filters down into a high cost for individuals. If your uni have good links with alumni and/or a sponsorship deal you'll find it a cheap sport, if not you might find it's reasonably expensive. I cox at an Oxbridge college - we get our first year entirely free and then we have to pay minimal subs and race entries. The only other thing which individuals have to pay for is kit; this can be relatively expensive, but most clubs are happy for you to wear general sports kit to begin with and only purchase kit when you're certain that you want to stick with rowing, at which point buying rowing lycra is worth the spend!

So, assuming it doesn't cost a fortune to join the boat club and you don't have really high subs to pay throughout the year it's unlikely to be too expensive. It's really worth giving it a try, the chances are it won't be unaffordable, especially at uni as everyone's aware that students are on a relatively tight budget! If you're concerned about it you could try emailing one of the boat club captains at your uni to ask.
Reply 1205
What time should you be getting on the erg if you're part of an 8 that gets 6:30-6:40 in races??
Do you still need to hit 6 and a half minutes?
Original post by Peanut
What time should you be getting on the erg if you're part of an 8 that gets 6:30-6:40 in races??
Do you still need to hit 6 and a half minutes?

Concept 2 ergs are calibrated to show your speed as what speed you'd be doing in a coxless four in good/ok conditions, where everyone has good technique and everyone is producing the power output you're doing - so if your 8+ is doing about 6:35, then to be an average rower in that 8+ I'd expect you should be around 6:50 - 7:10 on the erg.
Original post by Peanut

Hey Peanut, you should take up rowing, it's awesome.

For my uni it's £125 for the year. That includes a rowing specific gym, coach, use of boats, blades, boathouse etc.
Most clubs will allow you to pay in termly installments.

Kit is £48 for your racing all in one and £10 a race for your race entry fee.

If you want to compete you'll need to get a British Rowing liscence which is £30 for the year on student discount.

Unless you are lucky enough to have your own Uni rowing facilities (Oxbridge or Loughbrough) then most of your memebership fee will go towards whats called a 'shared liscence agreement'. In plain terms, this is what the society pays to the local rowing club to have a presence there and use their facilities etc.

Hope that helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1208
Original post by Pegasus2
Hey Peanut, you should take up rowing, it's awesome.

For my uni it's £125 for the year. That includes a rowing specific gym, coach, use of boats, blades, boathouse etc.
Most clubs will allow you to pay in termly installments.

Kit is £48 for your racing all in one and £10 a race for your race entry fee.

If you want to compete you'll need to get a British Rowing liscence which is £30 for the year on student discount.

Unless you are lucky enough to have your own Uni rowing facilities (Oxbridge or Loughbrough) then most of your memebership fee will go towards whats called a 'shared liscence agreement'. In plain terms, this is what the society pays to the local rowing club to have a presence there and use their facilities etc.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. I think I'm pretty settled on the idea that I'm definitely going to give it a go now. Someone gave me a job a few weeks ago so I have the money to do it now.

I'm so excited about giving it a go. Already started some fitness training in prep for September :smile:

Thank you for letting me know prices for things, I was wondering how much the Lycra was :smile:
Reply 1209
Original post by Danehill897
Concept 2 ergs are calibrated to show your speed as what speed you'd be doing in a coxless four in good/ok conditions, where everyone has good technique and everyone is producing the power output you're doing - so if your 8+ is doing about 6:35, then to be an average rower in that 8+ I'd expect you should be around 6:50 - 7:10 on the erg.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Pegasus2

And Manchester and Lancaster, and (if my memory serves me correctly) York St John

Original post by Peanut

Thank you for letting me know prices for things, I was wondering how much the Lycra was :smile:

Around £55-60 from memory for the one-piece bit of lycra, and you'll probably want to buy other bits of kit too. Many clubs order from Godfrey, and you can see their custom prices online (other clubs order from Crewroom or JL)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1211
Original post by Origami Bullets
And Manchester and Lancaster, and (if my memory serves me correctly) York St John

Around £55-60 from memory for the one-piece bit of lycra, and you'll probably want to buy other bits of kit too. Many clubs order from Godfrey, and you can see their custom prices online (other clubs order from Crewroom or JL)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I might check out those websites.
Reply 1212
Does anyone know anything about the university of Liverpool bc?
Original post by Peanut
Does anyone know anything about the university of Liverpool bc?

https://www.smore.com/vdv0-liverpool-university-boat-club
Reply 1214
I am interested in taking up rowing, i tried it at the gym and think i am reasonably good, ( i realise it is v different on water). I did 2000m in 9 mins on level 10 and that was the first time i had used a rowing machine. I want to improve so what sort of technique should i try? I am a girl, 5'10 and around 9 stone, so should i be doing hard strokes, or pulling faster on a lower level?
Thanks
Original post by nath4lie
I am interested in taking up rowing, i tried it at the gym and think i am reasonably good, ( i realise it is v different on water). I did 2000m in 9 mins on level 10 and that was the first time i had used a rowing machine. I want to improve so what sort of technique should i try? I am a girl, 5'10 and around 9 stone, so should i be doing hard strokes, or pulling faster on a lower level?
Thanks

Hi nath4lie, you might want to try using the rowing machine on about resistance level 4 as I think this is the resistance that best simulates rowing on the water. In relation to technique you should be aiming to ensure a steady 2:1 ratio, spending twice as long on the recovery of the stroke (sliding forwards) as you do on the leg drive. You also need to ensure that your separation of the stroke and body position is correct as this can greatly improve times ie fully extend your arms, then rock your body over and then break your knees and slide forward transferring the weight onto the balls of your feet until your calves are perpendicular to the floor, then pressing the knees down flat, leaning back a little and following through with the arms by bringing the handle to your chest. You should probably be aiming to rate somewhere around 30-36 strokes per minute depending on your strength and fitness. As your weight would place you in the lightweight category you will probably find that you will have to rate slightly higher than someone who is heavier to achieve the same splits.

You might find these videos helpful (I made my crew watch them!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_zmJYQ5URw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP6OR-G7AxM
Reply 1216
Original post by Becca :)
Hi nath4lie, you might want to try using the rowing machine on about resistance level 4 as I think this is the resistance that best simulates rowing on the water. In relation to technique you should be aiming to ensure a steady 2:1 ratio, spending twice as long on the recovery of the stroke (sliding forwards) as you do on the leg drive. You also need to ensure that your separation of the stroke and body position is correct as this can greatly improve times ie fully extend your arms, then rock your body over and then break your knees and slide forward transferring the weight onto the balls of your feet until your calves are perpendicular to the floor, then pressing the knees down flat, leaning back a little and following through with the arms by bringing the handle to your chest. You should probably be aiming to rate somewhere around 30-36 strokes per minute depending on your strength and fitness. As your weight would place you in the lightweight category you will probably find that you will have to rate slightly higher than someone who is heavier to achieve the same splits.

Thank you, those videos were very helpful!
Reply 1217

Is 9mins over 2km for a beginner a decent time?
Original post by Peanut
Is 9mins over 2km for a beginner a decent time?

Well that depends on your age, gender, size and ambition. For a female beginner yes I think it's a reasonable time; for a bit of context I'm a 5'2" 20 year old female cox who doesn't do any sport and I pulled a 9:37 when I did my one and only 2k with my crew (as you would imagine given my seat, I was the slowest on that occasion, but faster than the times a couple had pulled the first time they did a 2k). I don't know but I would imagine that university level for a girl is more around the 7:30 mark, possibly lower, and for a heavy weight male sub-6 minutes. However the saying "ergs don't float" is very important so your technique on the water is just as important as your erg time. Also, the heavier you are the faster you would be expected to go as your mass would slow the boat down more (eg everything else being equal a 70kg lightweight would make a boat go faster than a 100kg open weight!)

Sorry that that probably seems rather vague, but as I don't know anything about you I can't give more specific advice! If you have any questions that I may be able to answer please fire away!!
Reply 1219
Well that depends on your age, gender, size and ambition. For a female beginner yes I think it's a reasonable time; for a bit of context I'm a 5'2" 20 year old female cox who doesn't do any sport and I pulled a 9:37 when I did my one and only 2k with my crew (as you would imagine given my seat, I was the slowest on that occasion, but faster than the times a couple had pulled the first time they did a 2k). I don't know but I would imagine that university level for a girl is more around the 7:30 mark, possibly lower, and for a heavy weight male sub-6 minutes. However the saying "ergs don't float" is very important so your technique on the water is just as important as your erg time. Also, the heavier you are the faster you would be expected to go as your mass would slow the boat down more (eg everything else being equal a 70kg lightweight would make a boat go faster than a 100kg open weight!)

Sorry that that probably seems rather vague, but as I don't know anything about you I can't give more specific advice! If you have any questions that I may be able to answer please fire away!!

I'm a 5'3 female, 20 in 2 weeks (so fairly similar to you) and about 56kg. I did 2km in 9 minutes flat tonight on the erg on resistance 4. The quickest i've done 5km is 23.30 (resistance 10) but i probably had more in the tank if i had pushed myself further. I'm joining the boat club at uni when I get back next next month. I would preferably like to row in an 8+ if they have a place for me.
I don't really know if those times are any good as I have no benchmark as what I should be hitting. Any advice now you know a little more?
Thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest