The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 5 6BI05 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by jojo1995
is that the same thing as conduction of an impulse along a neurone ?

i think so, yeah
how is the volume and rate calculated from the respirometer?
Reply 402
Original post by IchHabDichLieb
how is the volume and rate calculated from the respirometer?

Breathing rate is the number of peaks (on the trace) x minute
Tidal volume = volume breathed in and out at one breath - from the trace it is top reading (of the peak) minuse the botoom reading of that peak.
Reply 403
Original post by Nilie
i think so, yeah

i say:

- impulse arrives at the neurone
- na+ ion channels open atthe region of the neurone and na+ ions flow in ... casuing depolariastion of this part of the membrane
- some of the na + ions move side ways to the next region of the membrane ..... this cause the na+ ion channels in this areas/ region of the membrane to open and so there is an influx of na+ ions into the axon here too
- the same thing occurs again at the next (3rd) region
at the 1st region, the na+ ions close and k + ions flow into the axon ... and the rest of the impulse cyle occurs ... it then goes into refractionary period ....

- the impulse moves away from regions of the membrane in refreactionary period
- in this way the impulse is passed along the neurone

sorry if this is confusing :frown:
Reply 404
Original post by vladipn
Really? And they did am international version because....reasons? :biggrin:

Anyway, thanks a lot for pointing that out for me.

No idea why there are two versions.
No problem :smile:
Reply 405
i say:

- impulse arrives at the neurone
- na+ ion channels open atthe region of the neurone and na+ ions flow in ... casuing depolariastion of this part of the membrane
- some of the na + ions move side ways to the next region of the membrane ..... this cause the na+ ion channels in this areas/ region of the membrane to open and so there is an influx of na+ ions into the axon here too
- the same thing occurs again at the next (3rd) region
at the 1st region, the na+ ions close and k + ions flow into the axon ... and the rest of the impulse cyle occurs ... it then goes into refractionary period ....

- the impulse moves away from regions of the membrane in refreactionary period
- in this way the impulse is passed along the neurone

sorry if this is confusing :frown:

thats great! Thanks

i just hope such a question does not come up((
Reply 406
how is everyone finding the pre-release? Am getting worried as it has 30 marks!
Reply 407
Original post by Nilie
thats great! Thanks

i just hope such a question does not come up((

haha yeah same ... i doubt it's come up that detailed if at all ... far too much :tongue:

also does anyone know what the process of gene therapy is? ... a quick review please :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 408
Original post by titch_04
how is everyone finding the pre-release? Am getting worried as it has 30 marks!

i honestly need to max that section out in the real exam ... iahve been doiung past papers and i can oly seeem to get around 30/60 ... today i got 38/60 so i was pleased with that but still ... im becoming worried :tongue:

i hope its easier ... have a look at the past paper type questions ... the questions seem to hold 2-3 marks each
Reply 409
haha yeah same ... i doubt it's come up that detailed if at all ... far too much :tongue:

also does anyone know what the process of gene therapy is? ... a quick review please :smile:

from what i remember, is when a gene coding for a desired protein is inserted into human DNA using viral or lipid vectors, so that translation of proteins can start...

something of that kind..hah)
Original post by Nilie
Breathing rate is the number of peaks (on the trace) x minute
Tidal volume = volume breathed in and out at one breath - from the trace it is top reading (of the peak) minuse the botoom reading of that peak.

the respirometer is the woodlice in the test tube
Reply 411
Original post by Nilie
from what i remember, is when a gene coding for a desired protein is inserted into human DNA using viral or lipid vectors, so that translation of proteins can start...

something of that kind..hah)

ahh okay, thank you :biggrin: .. so is it just the same thing as GM ? All these differnent names :redface:
Reply 412
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has a bank of unit 5 questions that aren't from current past papers? I have done some questions from old spec edexcel papers but I remember for unit 4 someone helpfully posted a huge amount of questions that weren't from modern past papers. If anyone does have access to some they could post that would be great!
Reply 413
sorry i dont... i only know edexcel papers can be found on the edexcel website ^ ^^^

also does anyone know what we need to know about the crutiate ligament thing ?
Reply 414
Original post by IchHabDichLieb
the respirometer is the woodlice in the test tube

oh damn, you're right.
sorry..

for the woodlice it is:

the volume: at the start mark the level of the liquid in the tube -> after some time measure the distance travelled by the liquid and from there find a volume (pi x r^2 x distancе moved, where r=radius of the tube). Alternatively, the tube can already have volume marks on it - then just read the volume mark. This would be the volume oxygen uptake.

I am not sure you can measure the rate...

Sorry for the mistake before)
Hope this helps
Reply 415
sorry i dont... i only know edexcel papers can be found on the edexcel website ^ ^^^

also does anyone know what we need to know about the crutiate ligament thing ?

"Explain how medical technology, including the use of keyhole
surgery and prostheses, is enabling those with injuries and
disabilities to participate in sports, eg cruciate ligaments
repair using keyhole surgery and knee joint replacement
using prosthetics" this is from the spec... I think just what is it and why/shen you use it...
Reply 416
Original post by Nilie
"Explain how medical technology, including the use of keyhole
surgery and prostheses, is enabling those with injuries and
disabilities to participate in sports, eg cruciate ligaments
repair using keyhole surgery and knee joint replacement
using prosthetics" this is from the spec... I think just what is it and why/shen you use it...

thank you ... you are so good at this all :tongue:

thanks again :smile:
Original post by Nilie
oh damn, you're right.
sorry..

for the woodlice it is:

the volume: at the start mark the level of the liquid in the tube -> after some time measure the distance travelled by the liquid and from there find a volume (pi x r^2 x distancе moved, where r=radius of the tube). Alternatively, the tube can already have volume marks on it - then just read the volume mark. This would be the volume oxygen uptake.

I am not sure you can measure the rate...

Sorry for the mistake before)
Hope this helps

np thnx:smile:
Reply 418
Hi guys ... does anyone know if it is true that respiration totally stops in the presence of no oxygen? only the hdizzle document says so :?
i though anaerobic resp would take place but it says otherwise ...

Original post by Hdizzle
Hey :smile:

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 419
Hi guys ... does anyone know if it is true that respiration totally stops in the presence of no oxygen? only the hdizzle document says so :?
i though anaerobic resp would take place but it says otherwise ...

it would take place for a short period of time, as with time lactate will accumulate -> blood ph fall -> enzymes triggering respiration will become inhibited -> won't happen any more

So, technically without oxygen respiration does not stop, however anaerobic lasts for a very limited time period.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending