The Student Room Group

AQA A2 RST3A and RST4A - 6th June + 14th June respectively

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kat798
have you got any topics to revise for importance of present life? I really have no idea what I'd answer!

Present life for Islam

- Following the 5 Pillars
- Life is a test

Christianity

- to gain salvation
- to accept jesus christ as lord and saviour

Buddhism

- generate good karma

Look up these concepts, present life is one of the easiest imo
Original post by beckya
Is anybody doing Ways of Moral Decision Making: Medical Ethics?!

I am doing this! What kind of question are you predicting?
Original post by kat798
have you got any topics to revise for importance of present life? I really have no idea what I'd answer!

The importance of the present life: just think religions. In Christianity, you are judged based on actions in your present life. Good deeds = Heaven. Sin = Hell.

Secular views can include YOLO. The fact we only live once, we should make our present life the best it can be and take every opportunity we can.

Hope this helps a little bit, I'm revising this too
Reply 103
What are scholars views on mysticism and visions???

I cant find any other than ninian smart and pahnke
Reply 104
Original post by yaboy
What are scholars views on mysticism and visions???

I cant find any other than ninian smart and pahnke

William James has done a lot on mystical experience. There's a lot of relevant information about Saint John of the Cross, Julian of Norwich, some strong quotes.

Realistically, an expansion on what James says about mystical experience is the best way to look at it.

JB Phillips and Taylor also analysed the validity of visions to some extent. Scholar's views on visions specifically aren't massively prevalent.

Otto's concept of the numinous is also useful, as is Stace's notion of extrovertive and introvertive experience.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 105
Original post by CoolCat94
Dude this is a great question with the potential for a really enriched response!

The question is basically asking what the importance of present life is, and for those who are religious, it basically is in preparation for death as life is
used as a vehicle towards your fate in death. So if you agreed with the view you would talk about how the purpose of life IS for death, such as with Christianity, Islam, and Buddhists seeing that our present life is important in determining our fate after we die.

Secularists might argue that nothing happens after you die (Humanists) and that life isn't for preparing for death because we should enjoy the present.

What you would do is chose which side you agree on and use the religions to either argue or counter argue your points

Thank You very much, this was helpful!
I wanted to ask though, could I make a brief reference to Bentham's Utilitarianism in the Secularist approach as he expresses the point to live life with happiness and 'to the max'?? Or would that be inappropriate.
I would only write like a sentence.
Reply 106
Original post by Navdeash
I wanted to ask though, could I make a brief reference to Bentham's Utilitarianism in the Secularist approach as he expresses the point to live life with happiness and 'to the max'?? Or would that be inappropriate.

The synoptic nature of this exam implies that anything relevant is appropriate in order to gain marks. If you were to comprehensively and cohesively link the statement to the question, any information will likely grant you some credit. The more relevant and informative the better.

For example, with a question regarding the verification of the reality of a concept, logical positivism can be used in an answer.
(edited 10 years ago)

It's not irrelevant as long as it relates to the question, if it relates to the importance of present life then it's useful and fine! But make sure you expand on the point, I don't think you should only write a sentence because that is merely stating it and not "unpacking it" like the mark scheme requires, if you are going to write about his ideology make sure you explain it a bit more in depth with an example
Original post by Onemore
The synoptic nature of this exam implies that anything relevant is appropriate in order to gain marks. If you were to comprehensively and cohesively link the statement to the question, any information will likely grant you some credit. The more relevant and informative the better.

For example, with a question regarding the verification of the reality of a concept, logical positivism can be used in an answer.

Logical positivists maintain that a statement is only meaningful is there's internal logic to support it or direct sense experience to verify a statement, is that correct?
image.jpg
Original post by jonathanmeehan
image.jpg

Very kind of you to post this. I was reading your part of Islam, where you mentioned polygamy, could you please expand on how that keeps the sanctity of life?
Reply 111
Anyone got any helpful Religious Experience revision?
Would appreciate it since I havnt had a teacher for this topic whatsoever
Original post by jonathanmeehan
image.jpg

I've been struggling with the secular bits of present life, thank you so much! I'm also ridiculously jealous of your handwriting, mine looks like a drunk spider wandered through some ink
Reply 113
Original post by Onemore

Oooh thanks very much! :^_^:
Reply 114
It's not irrelevant as long as it relates to the question, if it relates to the importance of present life then it's useful and fine! But make sure you expand on the point, I don't think you should only write a sentence because that is merely stating it and not "unpacking it" like the mark scheme requires, if you are going to write about his ideology make sure you explain it a bit more in depth with an example

Yeah that's true.
Oh yeah I've read that phrase 'unpacking it' in an examiners report.
Thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 115
anyone that's doing rst4a RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE tomorrow? what you focusing on, anything and everything? i'm struggling. any help would be greatly appreciated D:
Reply 116
Original post by jackrowan
anyone that's doing rst4a RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE tomorrow? what you focusing on, anything and everything? i'm struggling. any help would be greatly appreciated D:

Yeah, I'm focusing on these aspects of the syllabus

Ideas about what might in general terms be regarded as a
religious experience and what the term might mean. The
relationship between definitions of God/gods/Ultimate Reality
and any idea of religious experience. Identification of different
types and styles of religious experience with particular reference
to conversion, visions, revelation, mystical experience. Scholars’
definitions with particular reference to characteristics and process
of the different types and style of religious experience.
Methods for establishing the validity of different religious
experiences, both individual and corporate experiences. The
verification of religious experience and its place, if verified, in a
particular religion the value for the religious community and for an
individual.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is an acceptable approach but i'm risking it.
Yeah that's true.
Oh yeah I've read that phrase 'unpacking it' in an examiners report.
Thanks again :biggrin:

No problem, best of luck for tomorrow!
Reply 118
Really scared for this exam tomorrow :/
wonder if anyone could tell me secular bits of present life, if you have any notes on it, would really appreciate them!
thanks in advance
Reply 119
Logical positivists maintain that a statement is only meaningful is there's internal logic to support it or direct sense experience to verify a statement, is that correct?

Essentially yes, though its relevance may be diminished on other sides of the syllabus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending