The Student Room Group

Law Unit 4 14th June 2013 (AQA)

Scroll to see replies

What property offences does anyone think might come up? TDoing some last minuite revision and tryin to decide which ones to go over... Hope theft, robbery or burglary comes up!
Reply 381
Original post by Cheese man
What don't you understand about it?

Basic offences of criminal damage :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 382
Original post by natasha007a
What property offences does anyone think might come up? TDoing some last minuite revision and tryin to decide which ones to go over... Hope theft, robbery or burglary comes up!

Theft is 99.999% sure to come up and fraud is 90% likely to come up in one of the scenarios.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Warda3

Basic offences of criminal damage :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's one of the nicer offences really
AR
Destroy or damage - Roe v Kingerlee, matter of fact and degree - Hardman, Blake, will it cost money time and effort to remove - Fiak, temporary impairment may be damage - A v R, if there are no costs in clean up then no damage
Property S10 (1) same as theft but you can't damage plants
Belonging to another S10 (2) must be someone elses property, and you can damage property you co-own - Smith, damaged a light fitting in a property he rented

MR
Intention (to destroy or damage property belonging to another) - must be intention to do the damage - Pembleton, intended to throw the stone, but did not intend to break the window
Recklessness - this is now subjective - saw a risk but took it anyway - G and R

Lawful excuses:
S5 (2) a) consent - Denton, thought his manager wanted him to burn the place down
S5 (2) b) damaging property to protect other property - Hunt, the property must be in immediate danger - Creswell and Currie, must be property - Baker and Wilkins, can't be used for defending a person

+

S5 (2) a) plus S5 (3) drunken mistake - Jaggard v Dickinson - belief may be honestly held if caused by intoxication, stupidity, forgetfulness or inattention

:biggrin: hope I helped
Reply 384
Original post by Cheese man
I think it's one of the nicer offences really
AR
Destroy or damage - Roe v Kingerlee, matter of fact and degree - Hardman, Blake, will it cost money time and effort to remove - Fiak, temporary impairment may be damage - A v R, if there are no costs in clean up then no damage
Property S10 (1) same as theft but you can't damage plants
Belonging to another S10 (2) must be someone elses property, and you can damage property you co-own - Smith, damaged a light fitting in a property he rented

MR
Intention (to destroy or damage property belonging to another) - must be intention to do the damage - Pembleton, intended to throw the stone, but did not intend to break the window
Recklessness - this is now subjective - saw a risk but took it anyway - G and R

Lawful excuses:
S5 (2) a) consent - Denton, thought his manager wanted him to burn the place down
S5 (2) b) damaging property to protect other property - Hunt, the property must be in immediate danger - Creswell and Currie, must be property - Baker and Wilkins, can't be used for defending a person

+

S5 (2) a) plus S5 (3) drunken mistake - Jaggard v Dickinson - belief may be honestly held if caused by intoxication, stupidity, forgetfulness or inattention

:biggrin: hope I helped

Thank you so much good luck for tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lankan-gurl
Oh ok thanks :smile: but do you talk about the other elements of robbery too such as force immediately before or at the time of force etc and is that the same for burglary you have to go through all elements of theft then a paragraph on burglary?

Basically the first element of robbery is theft. So you do all of theft and then continue with the other elements.

Burglary is different. The common elements of 9(1)(a) and 9(1)(b) is entry, building or part of a building and trespasser. Then you go through the specifics of each. You do not have to go through theft
(edited 10 years ago)
please god let law and morals come up
Reply 387
Looking at a previous paper there's a scenario where D puts a foreign coin into a vending machine, is this Fraud by false representation?
Reply 388
Could someone do a quick summary of devlins debate please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 389
Original post by SteJayT
Looking at a previous paper there's a scenario where D puts a foreign coin into a vending machine, is this Fraud by false representation?

Yes
Reply 390
Original post by 52807
Could someone do a quick summary of devlins debate please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The wolfenden comittee published a report on prostitution and homosexuality leading to sexual offences act 1967 and wanted to make prostitution legal as it only harmed individual concerned, but since soliciting in public is an offence it remained illegal and homosexuality was legalised aslong as people involved consented and acts done in private. They wanted to increase amount of free will but still protect society from danger. Devlin disagreed and said social behaviour should be linked with christian principles even though there is less influence by religion. He believed strict moral code was needed that should reflect biblical rights and wrongs and said that society was made up of people who share basic values and without consensus belief society would disintergrate. He said if morals prevent chaos then law should be enforced and conduct that causes intolerance, indignation and disgust should be controlled by law

Hart disagreed with devlin and supported the wolfendon report. He argued that society was made up of diffrrent types of people with different beliefs therefore should be a mixture of moralities. He said that society was capable of containing more than one moral value without disintergrating therefore had pluralistic view and argued that enforcing moral values by using law restricts freeedom and law should only justified when acts endager society or individual concerned

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to be repetitive but their seems to be ambiguity. The most likely 2 essay questions to come up are Law and Morality and Law and Justice?
Reply 392
Original post by mattcole320
Sorry to be repetitive but their seems to be ambiguity. The most likely 2 essay questions to come up are Law and Morality and Law and Justice?

I would ague that morality and creativity would come up to be fair

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predicting whats going to come up is always extremely risky
Reply 394
Original post by tulips17
Yes

Thanks!
Reply 395
Ow. I just did a past paper with doing the concept questions first and the scenarios second. Although I saved quite a lot of time, my writing gets messier towards the scenario questions because my hands starts aching. And my mind starts drifting! >.<
Reply 396
Original post by mattcole320

Why law and justice?
Reply 397
Please god let morals come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SteJayT

Yes, you would discuss whether you can make a representation to a machine etc
Original post by heleena11
Why law and justice?

A few people have said aqa may do it to throw us off a bit

Quick Reply

Latest