The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Philosophy and Ethics, UNIT4: Implications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sherlockedd
Aaah, sounds like a good plan of attack :L

The exam is quite unclear because the question is 'clarify the argument and/or interpretation in the passage' so it gives you the ability to talk about either the argument in the paragraph or the text as a whole

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jackhayes74
The exam is quite unclear because the question is 'clarify the argument and/or interpretation in the passage' so it gives you the ability to talk about either the argument in the paragraph or the text as a whole

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. I literally never thought about it like that... mind = blown
True. I literally never thought about it like that... mind = blown

Ahaha well, at least you've got a get out clause if its the paragraph you don't want of Ayer! Btw I'm really struggling with making a summary of Westphal, do you know any useful links for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahaha well, at least you've got a get out clause if its the paragraph you don't want of Ayer! Btw I'm really struggling with making a summary of Westphal, do you know any useful links for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://sgsphilosophy.webs.com/anthologywestphala2.htm
For Westphal it's easier to break it down into scholars (and they've used the intro paragraph, so literally everything else can be broken down into scholars)
http://sgsphilosophy.webs.com/anthologywestphala2.htm
For Westphal it's easier to break it down into scholars (and they've used the intro paragraph, so literally everything else can be broken down into scholars)

Thank you very much! Most of my class work has random drawings on it where I got bored of Westphal during the lesson so that's no use to me aha! Really wish A2 philosophy was as easy as AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much! Most of my class work has random drawings on it where I got bored of Westphal during the lesson so that's no use to me aha! Really wish A2 philosophy was as easy as AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Saaame, AS was a doddle, this stuff makes you think :L
Hope Ayer comes up, as it should, really. I know all the stuff about the articles, I know most concepts, just a bit unsure whether or not I can flesh them out.
Original post by gumtrees
Hope Ayer comes up, as it should, really. I know all the stuff about the articles, I know most concepts, just a bit unsure whether or not I can flesh them out.

I looked at the mark scheme and it said for the examiners to mark positively so if you know the basic points and just fill it out then you'll pick marks up easily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 348
argh Donovan just says nothing
Original post by Gee:)

The only words I can use to describe his passage is that it is very liberal because it tries to keep everyone happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gee:)

I know! All he says is intuition, intuition, feeling right, being certain
Conclusion: well anyone can be right really.

Really Donovan?
REALLY? :L
Donovan just basically says that intuition can't be a proof for God, but he doesn't deny the experience. When people start shoving it down your throat then it becomes a problem. Bring in thoughts about Buber's I-You/I-It relationships, ie. Adam needed to know Eve exists before he could have the I-You, personal relationship. you need to know that God is, before you can put labels onto God.

the thing that I don't get, is what are the implications for Westphal?
I know! All he says is intuition, intuition, feeling right, being certain
Conclusion: well anyone can be right really.

Really Donovan?
REALLY? :L

well for the conc, bring in that religion would probably crumble as it's founded on intuition and religious experiences, like Saul's conversion etc. Without intuition the bible becomes just a book about morality, and nothing supernatural.
well for the conc, bring in that religion would probably crumble as it's founded on intuition and religious experiences, like Saul's conversion etc. Without intuition the bible becomes just a book about morality, and nothing supernatural.

Dunno why you're all fretting about Donovan.... It's not coming up.. I hope-pray-wish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dunno why you're all fretting about Donovan.... It's not coming up.. I hope-pray-wish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, I'm not, Donovan was quite easy to learn I thought. Got a B in my mock, didn't seem difficult. I just hope Ayer comes up, his is the easiest. It's basically

"To sum up, if you think about God you're a weiner"

They used the conc for Donovan on June 12, don't think it's gunna come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not, I'm just vocalising my disdain at his 'contribution' :L
The more I think about it, the more I realise it must be Ayer... Surely?? But then I also get a bad gut feeling that it's gonna be Westphal

Posted from TSR Mobile
The more I think about it, the more I realise it must be Ayer... Surely?? But then I also get a bad gut feeling that it's gonna be Westphal

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the same, keep thinking of Kant (as long as it's not deism/scholasticism I'll be fine)
Reply 358

Posted from TSR Mobile

ME TOO. I have a really bad feeling it will be Westphal!! Everyone is expecting Ayer but edexcel are great at throwing in nasty surprises.
Original post by klfc2035
ME TOO. I have a really bad feeling it will be Westphal!! Everyone is expecting Ayer but edexcel are great at throwing in nasty surprises.

Glad I'm not the only one! I hope our bad feelings are wrong though! I think I'd cry with happiness if it was Ayer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending