The Student Room Group

JACT Summer Camp Bryanston 2013

Hi all, just wondering who is going to Bryanston this summer, and if you have been before and are coming back, what can I expect? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hopefully coming back for a second time this year (haven't had letter back yet; eep!). Greek camp is great, you can really make of it whatever you like. The teaching is pretty intense, and I guess the ammount of work you put in is up to you, but I worked my butt off and found it really useful! There are some awesome lectures too, and everyone is SO NICE. I've probably jinxed it now but I swear I didn't meet a single person there who I disliked, and have made some great friends because of it. Oh, and the food is AMAZING; you will come home a couple of pounds heavier (that is unless you use one of the bazillion sports facilities!). Gosh that was a lot of hyperbolic language, but I really can't stress enough how great it is. What level are you going in at?
Reply 2
I got my acceptance letter yesterday, and will be in the beginner class. I know a couple of people who have been who say it's fantastic, and it sounds excellent. The above reply is certainly encouraging!
Reply 3
I got my letter a couple of days ago and will be in lower intermediates, having done a few introductory classes last year. It will be my first time at Bryanston. Is anyone else bringing instruments?
Reply 4
Thanks for all the responses :smile: I am going in at advanced (I think...), have done Greek since GCSE and now doing A level. I'm glad it seems to have made such a good impression on everyone - looking forward to going even more now! And I will be bringing some bagpipes (so perhaps ear plugs might be recommended).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Which textbook do you prefer, John Taylor's Greek to GCSE or the JACT Reading Greek ones? I am about to order one to use at the course (I've been using my own notes up to now) and aren't sure which one to get... the Latin book by John Taylor I have is pretty good, but then Reading Greek might be more useful as it's by JACT... (?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
We've always used JT at our school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'd love to hear about previous years, and any more day to day details if people have them. And write here if you are going this year - nice to know who we will be spending time with!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm going to Bryanston this year! My first time at this camp, although I went to Repton last year and had an absolute ball. I'm going into advanced, as I did GCSE and am now doing A level. @najabri, I'm bringing my flute :smile: Also, are we supposed to bring textbooks etc? I have GUT and John Taylor and Usher, but I wasn't really planning on bringing them as I figured we'd just get given the texts there...
Reply 9
Hey guys, I'm going this year woo, never been before and I'm really excited.
I think I'll probably be in intermediate because I did GCSE last year and only have only done half of the AS (my school only really offers the AS over 2 years).
We use the JT books at my school.
Is anyone going to audition for the plays?
Reply 10
I'm going for the first time this year as a beginner, never studied Greek before but off to uni (exam results willing) in October to study English & Classics and it would be lovely to be able to do languages as well as culture. I have a lot of friends who have gone and always loved it (one is now banned haha)
V much looking forward to it!
Reply 11
I'm going this year as well for the first time as a beginner. Am hoping it will be really informative and useful for uni applications. Note this year we are doing Agamemnon as the end play.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by BillieIris
I'm going for the first time this year as a beginner, never studied Greek before but off to uni (exam results willing) in October to study English & Classics and it would be lovely to be able to do languages as well as culture. I have a lot of friends who have gone and always loved it (one is now banned haha)
V much looking forward to it!

Exciting!!! Where are you going??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by JennieM
Exciting!!! Where are you going??

Posted from TSR Mobile

All being well, Bristol
Reply 14
All being well, Bristol

Wow . I have been looking there and it looks amazing.
Reply 15
Original post by JennieM
Wow . I have been looking there and it looks amazing.

Yes it's such a lovely city, and the departments seem amazing. Are you thinking of applying there?
Reply 16
Yes it's such a lovely city, and the departments seem amazing. Are you thinking of applying there?

Possibly. I'm just a bit worried about getting in because loads of people keep saying that it's harder if you are from a private school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I've been to Bryanston before and I'm going again this year and it is brilliant! You learn absolutely loads and it is really hard work but really fun. You have one teacher throughout with about 10 people per class. Last time our class read some of the Odyssey, Medea and some Plutarch. Make sure you go to as many lectures and seminars as you can or you will really regret it! There are tennis courts (grass and hard), squash courts (rackets provided) and if you play an instrument there are also practice rooms.
I advise you to bring a laptop - I forgot last year and really regretted it as it is nice to use Skype (and use Perseus!). Also tea bags and some snacks and stuff are good!
I love the Agamemnon!
Reply 18
Hey everyone. I left my Greek course stuff that they sent us in June up in bath and I was wondering if anyone could let me know what it included. I'm a beginner and I know I have to learn the alphabet but what else did they say in the letters??? Also did they mention whether we have to pay if we decide to go into town on the coach?
thanks
Reply 19
Original post by JennieM
Hey everyone. I left my Greek course stuff that they sent us in June up in bath and I was wondering if anyone could let me know what it included. I'm a beginner and I know I have to learn the alphabet but what else did they say in the letters??? Also did they mention whether we have to pay if we decide to go into town on the coach?
thanks

They said that to go into Blandford you have to pay a small amount for the minibus service, apparently there is a trip to Salisbury one day which you pay £10 for to go on the coach

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending