The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography unit 4B 2013 June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flowers456
and what statistical test do we need to know and what for? help !

I'm not actually sure if we need to do stats tests, my teacher never mentioned a word, but we apparently need to "analyse and interpret" the data so it might come up. There are a few different stats tests. Spearmans rank, Chi squared and Mann Whitney are the big three everyone is mentioning. Look in the back of the textbook, it has them all there (page 297)

Edit: Ignore this, we only have to know that they exist apparently, so happy days :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

I've asked my teacher about this and she said its highly unlikely we will be asked any specific questions on statistics, but most of us have done a spearmans rank for P1 and P2 to add to our answers.

It's more beneficial to know the advantages and disadvantages of graphical techniques as they tend to like asking questions on justifying appropriate techniques to present data, like a bar graph for P2.
Reply 162

most people have done spearman's rank for P1 with P2 and P3 with P4 and we just got a result so we can quote it in the exam but most people do not believe we need to do other statistical tests, I think the only thing they will ask you to do is suggest another form the data can be displayed in and suggest reasons why
Original post by Baldwin94
most people have done spearman's rank for P1 with P2 and P3 with P4 and we just got a result so we can quote it in the exam but most people do not believe we need to do other statistical tests, I think the only thing they will ask you to do is suggest another form the data can be displayed in and suggest reasons why

what would you say for spearman's rank for these two in a sentence or two?

A bar chart because its not consecutive data which means its not suitable for a line graph and a bar chart will show variation as the height of the bars will be significantly different so you can compare :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
"Describe how the data in Fig P2 could be presented in graphical form, and justify the method" (8 marks) How would you answer this to gain the full marks? All I can think of is that it's discrete data, not continuous, how else could you justify it?
Reply 166
Think scatter graph with line of best fit will be better than bar for figure p2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ellie_May :)
I've asked my teacher about this and she said its highly unlikely we will be asked any specific questions on statistics, but most of us have done a spearmans rank for P1 and P2 to add to our answers.

It's more beneficial to know the advantages and disadvantages of graphical techniques as they tend to like asking questions on justifying appropriate techniques to present data, like a bar graph for P2.

ok thankyou very much ! have you not learnt how to calculate mann whitney test etc then?

thanks thats helpful! so what would be another form the data could be displayed in?
Original post by birdstheword5
I have a few practice exam questions that our teachers gave to us, Hope they help
1 Study Figure P2. Describe how this data could be presented in graphical form. Justify the methods that you suggest. 8 marks
2. Critically evaluate the use of the websites mentioned in item 6 by planners or local people. 7 marks
3. To what extent are natural disasters becoming more common? 10 marker
4 "impact is dominated by the magnitude of an earthquake" Discuss this statement with reference to the two earthquakes in the Christchurch region. 15 marks.
5. Evaluate the view that Christchurch would have been "back to normal" after the Darfield Earthquake if it wasn't for aftershocks. (Don't know number of marks memory sucks)

I would be fine with most of these, I might struggle with the last two. For Number 4, what arguments would you put FOR the statement? I can find plenty against, but little for :s-smilie: Help, please?

Do you have the answers to these questions? xx
Reply 170
Original post by stephhaskell
what would you say for spearman's rank for these two in a sentence or two?

Between P3 and P4 there was a very weak positive correlation at (0.33) however this would not be conclusive as it is such a weak correlation, P1 and P2 had a negative correlation (-0.42) that result does vary from person to person though so I would suggest doing that one yourself to check it over. Again a weak negative correlation but not very much can be concluded from this
Reply 171
I don't think they will ask anything outside the AIB (e.g. extra research on the response etc), that way students are treated fairly in the exam
Original post by birdstheword5
I'm not actually sure if we need to do stats tests, my teacher never mentioned a word, but we apparently need to "analyse and interpret" the data so it might come up. There are a few different stats tests. Spearmans rank, Chi squared and Mann Whitney are the big three everyone is mentioning. Look in the back of the textbook, it has them all there (page 297)

Edit: Ignore this, we only have to know that they exist apparently, so happy days :biggrin:

hahah great thats much better ! :smile:
Reply 173
thanks thats helpful! so what would be another form the data could be displayed in?

P1 could have separate scatter graphs for the different types of natural hazards but my teacher has told us to pull that figure apart if we are asked to evaluate it because you cant clearly see what each bar represent numerically and meteorological and hydrological are practically the same thing. Furthermore we do not know what the insurance company has used to describe what one natural hazard is. P2 is just simply a bar chart. P3 you could do as a pie chart and have each group of magnitudes as a portion. P4 I would certainly mention about removing 2004 and saying how the mean would be significantly lower therefore making the axis different and showing that some of those years are actually above the average if you remove the mean.
Reply 174
Can someone please explain how i'm meant to evaluate the sources in item 6 which are the extra research websites!!!
Ive got a few questions that I would appreciate so so so much if anyonw could answer them?

1) New Zeland is a sparsley populated country. Explain why this is beneficia considering the complex tectonics which operate accross the country. (10 marks)

2) What are the issues the authorities should consider when tackling the rebuilding and repair of the city? (15 marks)

3)Discuss the view that Christchurch would have been almost back to normal by January 2011, after the Darfield earthquake, it it wasnt for aftershocks. (10 marks)

I WOULD LOVE IT IF ANYONE COULD ANSWER ANY OF THESE FOR ME!!!!
Reply 176
mhmm bar graph or scatter diagram for figure p2...
Reply 177
Original post by Gary
mhmm bar graph or scatter diagram for figure p2...

bar
Reply 178
how would u answer the question 'critically evaluate the use of the websites mentioned in item 6 by planners and local people' (7 marks) PLEASE HELP x
Reply 179
bar

with scatter though, you can draw a line of best fit, and roughly estimate the values of the missing years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending