The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Philosophy and Ethics, UNIT4: Implications

Scroll to see replies

surely will be Ayer, otherwise what's the point of having it on the spec
Original post by gumtrees
surely will be Ayer, otherwise what's the point of having it on the spec

They have used Ayer before and could use him next year. Just because he hasn't been on for a couple of years doesn't mean they have to use him :L
Original post by Sherlockedd
They have used Ayer before and could use him next year. Just because he hasn't been on for a couple of years doesn't mean they have to use him :L

I'm sure they have to cover the whole syllabus in a set amount of time as if they don't centres will complain that they teach Ayer for no reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jackhayes74
I'm sure they have to cover the whole syllabus in a set amount of time as if they don't centres will complain that they teach Ayer for no reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeaaah, but they might use him next year. I want it to be Ayer ngl, just been going his stuff and it'd be so easy to write about. I'm just saying, don't be surprised if it's not
Reply 364
Glad I'm not the only one! I hope our bad feelings are wrong though! I think I'd cry with happiness if it was Ayer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! but there are only a few paragraphs of his work that can be talked about and analysed in depth! I think that's one of the main reasons why edexcel don't chuck him in often...
Yeaaah, but they might use him next year. I want it to be Ayer ngl, just been going his stuff and it'd be so easy to write about. I'm just saying, don't be surprised if it's not

I know, the only person who knows what is on the exam is the chief examiner, but imagine the complaints edexcel would get if Ayer wasn't on, I'd say it's 60% Ayer 30% Westphal 10% Donovan

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, the only person who knows what is on the exam is the chief examiner, but imagine the complaints edexcel would get if Ayer wasn't on, I'd say it's 60% Ayer 30% Westphal 10% Donovan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Truuuue, still, Ayer has a smaller extract than the other two, there's more of theirs to write about if you get me?
Reply 367
Original post by klfc2035
ME TOO. I have a really bad feeling it will be Westphal!! Everyone is expecting Ayer but edexcel are great at throwing in nasty surprises.

I totally agree
Reply 368
GOODLUCK EVERYONE :-) have a good nights sleep and breakfast and you will smash the exam
I want to cry :frown:
Truuuue, still, Ayer has a smaller extract than the other two, there's more of theirs to write about if you get me?

True but with Ayer you can link in falsification principle and analogies, religious experience argument, design argument, ontological argument etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gumtrees

the thing that I don't get, is what are the implications for Westphal?

I've been using the viewpoint of the philosopher's Westphal cites to use for implications i.e.

If Kant is right that religion should be no more than a system of morality

Aspects of faith not concerned with morality would be marginalised or disappear.

The emotional content of religion would be replaced by a focus on moral duty.

Religion everywhere would be the same, since rational ethics would be universal.

Churches, mosques and synagogues would change into moral support groups; all other rituals would become irrelevant.

Human experience would always have to focus on ethics; being moral is the highest good and the only basis for religion. We should always have to be conscious of duty.

Human society might become more just and moral, since the consideration of the moral law would replace self interest and hedonism.

Reply 372
Surely if edexcel wanted to throw more of a curve ball it would be Donovan though? Because we would assume for them to either choose Ayer or carry on the Westphal Donovan pattern!
Original post by apple1
Surely if edexcel wanted to throw more of a curve ball it would be Donovan though? Because we would assume for them to either choose Ayer or carry on the Westphal Donovan pattern!

Yeah... that would be super sneaky :frown:
Original post by apple1

If it's Donovan it is good bye uni and hello enforced gap year for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 375
after the apparent bitch of c3 maths today i'm worried they are just feeling particularly grumpy this year and will do a donovan! :frown:.
Also for Westphal does anyone know anything about Jean Rousseau or is he minor?
Reply 376
If it's Westphal i'll probably cry! How are you supposed to have an opinion on his text when he doesn't even make a point?! D:
Reply 377
If it's Donovan it is good bye uni and hello enforced gap year for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha, thats what I told my mum! she didnt sound too pleased with it
Reply 378
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!! I've just done my Donovan summary in like 30 mins aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha! no problem, that got me through the worrying of not knowing ANYTHING for Donovan :smile:
Original post by Gee:)
after the apparent bitch of c3 maths today i'm worried they are just feeling particularly grumpy this year and will do a donovan! :frown:.
Also for Westphal does anyone know anything about Jean Rousseau or is he minor?

Rousseau just creates the idea that we are born 'good' but develop selfish means etc so the only way to change this is to change society, contradicts Kant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending