The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by igobyursula
Hiya...

Sorry if someone else has already answered this question for you.

With 2+ hexa-aqua ions, basically (well my chemistry teacher told me because there is no distinction in the book(s))

Its 3en which forms [M(en)3]2+ + 6H2O

With 3+ hexa aqua ions it does something different.

en is H2NCH2CH2NH2

This is the following equation

2[M(H2O)6 ]3+ + 3H2NCH2CH2NH2 ----> 2[M(H2O)3(OH)3] + 3H3NCH2CH2NH3

This is because 3+ ions are slightly more acidic and can donate H+ more easily. Think of the reactions between the hexa aqua ions and carbonate ions.

Hope this helps. I was completely muddled by it all initially. There is not actually any distinction in the book (I use Nelson Thornes) at all, but I think you are supposed to apply knowledge of the differences between the reactions betweeen carbonate with 2+ hexa aqua ions and 3+ hexa aqua ions. en is a bidentate ligand, as is the carbonate ion.

Sorry to butt in. i didn't know that about 3+ ions with 'en'. But it kinda explains the question about Al3+ reacting with diaminoethane in January 2012 paper. The questtion says diaminoethane behaves like ammonia, So i thought you were meant to think, well Al3+ doesn't undergo substitution with ammonia, so its not going to undergo substitution with this ligand...didn't know there was a rule, thank you for sharing. :smile:
Reply 1081
Original post by JSN
thanks alot, cant rep you

That's fine, just glad I could help :smile:
Reply 1082
Original post by lifeisgood2012
Does the value of emf increase if more electrons are released?

Original post by JSN
it gets more -ve i think but someone confirm this

Emf should always be positive otherwise the spontaneous reaction doesn't occur. I think the emf decreases if more electrons are produced because that would lead to an increase in current in the circuit and as current increases, emf decreases but I'm not entirely sure :s-smilie:

Edit: thinking about it though that's more to do with physics and I think it would be unfair to assume everyone would know it so I'm not even sure if that would be tested in the exam. Did it come from a specific question in a past paper?

Edit 2: never mind, I was thinking of resistance instead of current for some reason :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by crc290
Emf should always be positive otherwise the spontaneous reaction doesn't occur. I think the emf decreases if more electrons are produced because that would lead to an increase in current in the circuit and as current increases, emf decreases but I'm not entirely sure :s-smilie:

Edit: thinking about it though that's more to do with physics and I think it would be unfair to assume everyone would know it so I'm not even sure if that would be tested in the exam. Did it come from a specific question in a past paper?

Nope i was just wondering.... on some papers... they give you like a table and one of the questions was explain why water reacts with flurorine... and you had to use the ecell values to explain it
Original post by itssochaotic
Sorry to butt in. i didn't know that about 3+ ions with 'en'. But it kinda explains the question about Al3+ reacting with diaminoethane in January 2012 paper. The questtion says diaminoethane behaves like ammonia, So i thought you were meant to think, well Al3+ doesn't undergo substitution with ammonia, so its not going to undergo substitution with this ligand...didn't know there was a rule, thank you for sharing. :smile:

Yes, exactly. Al, Fe (Cr is an exception when NH3 is in excess) do not undergo ligand sub with ammonia as they are more acidic and donate protons. Fe 2+ is less acidic and does not undergo ligand sub either, so its not really a hard and fast rule, but when they do ask about other species and the way they behave with hexa aqua ions , you just need to apply knowledge about the reactions we have been taught. My teacher saysthat it is not because they want to trick us. :rolleyes:
Reply 1085
Nope i was just wondering.... on some papers... they give you like a table and one of the questions was explain why water reacts with flurorine... and you had to use the ecell values to explain it

Ah right. Well ignore my explanation then because I think it was wrong anyway :tongue: on those questions you usually just have to say that the potential for one electrode is higher than the other and that gets the marks
Reply 1086
For http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
Qs 1a and 1bii, how do you know what the equations are? I don't understand what they mean when it says what's the eqn equal to the standard enthalpy of.....

Thanks in advance
For question 4b

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/AQA/Chemistry/2004%20Jan/AQA-CHM5-W-QP-JAN04.pdf

If the hydrogen ion concentration is reduced, equilibrium shifts to the left so more e- ions are accepted so EMF should increase? Why does it decrease?

Reply 1088
Pls could someone explain what you would put for the reasoning..
Does the value of emf increase if more electrons are released?

Absolutely not, EMF is independent of that.
Wow, are AQA serious. June 2012, the gradient of the line question is ridiculous. I only noticed the it didn't go exactly through the middle of the box after I'd seen the answer and zoomed in A LOT. No chance of me seeing that, not clear AT ALL. I'd never assume that it didn't pass directly through.
Original post by popnit

The answer is just " by definition "

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Extricated
For question 4b

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/AQA/Chemistry/2004%20Jan/AQA-CHM5-W-QP-JAN04.pdf

If the hydrogen ion concentration is reduced, equilibrium shifts to the left so more e- ions are accepted so EMF should increase? Why does it decrease?

When it moves to the side with the electrons, the emf always decreases for that paricular electrode

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chris-69
Wow, are AQA serious. June 2012, the gradient of the line question is ridiculous. I only noticed the it didn't go exactly through the middle of the box after I'd seen the answer and zoomed in A LOT. No chance of me seeing that, not clear AT ALL. I'd never assume that it didn't pass directly through.

It is actually ridiculous. I kept getting 0.1 but the markscheme says that it must not be that number unless the students has written 0.997.. Whatever it was. So ridiculous. I actually would not mind such a question but they need to make their graphs more clearm
Original post by popnit

Wouldn't it just be 0 and then for a reason just "by definition. The Standard Hydrogen Electrode is a reference point".
Reply 1095
Wouldn't it just be 0 and then for a reason just "by definition. The Standard Hydrogen Electrode is a reference point".

Ahhh wasn't sure what to put for the by definition bit. Thank you
Reply 1096
Original post by poopnoddy
The answer is just " by definition "

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you
Reply 1097
Guys can some tell me me if this is right:

The question is: Defineenthalpy of atomisation

I wrote:the enthalpy change when 1 mole of a gaseous atom is formed from an element inits standard state under standard conditions.

Mark scheme says:
Enthalpy changefor the formation of 1 mol of gaseous atoms (1)
From the element (inits standard state) (1)

What’s the difference between mol and mole? :s-smilie:

Also, say with calculation questions like calculating the latticeenthalpy of dissociation, if you get the right answer do you all marks?

For the Jan 11 paper question 1.b) I got +771KJ mol-1

Which is correct but the mark scheme says this: so do I get all three even though I have written this below?
1(b) ∆HL = –∆Hf + ∆Ha + I.E. + 1/2E(Cl-Cl) + EA (1)
= +411 + 109 + 494 + 121 364 (1)
= +771 (kJ mol-1) (1)
Or correct Born-Haber cycle drawn out
–771 scores 2/3
+892 scores 1/3
–51 scores 1/3
–892 scores zero
+51 scores zero ignore units thanks in advance guys :smile:
Reply 1098
Original post by ryanj18
What’s the difference between mol and mole? :s-smilie:

No difference, mol is the symbol for mole, like kg is the symbol for kilogram :smile:
It is actually ridiculous. I kept getting 0.1 but the markscheme says that it must not be that number unless the students has written 0.997.. Whatever it was. So ridiculous. I actually would not mind such a question but they need to make their graphs more clearm

Yeah, if the graph was clear it was pretty straight forward; I also got 0.1. Wasn't at all clear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending