The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2280
Original post by AquisM
I've always been fascinated by Portuguese, as I learn Spanish. Is it difficult to learn Portuguese if I learn Spanish?

It really does depend. Portuguese was my first language so I learned it a different way than you guys who are learning it as an additional language :smile:

The grammar in Portuguese is one of the most difficult in languages (at least in my opinion), but depending on the level of your Spanish it could be easier than some might think. It's not as easy as English but definitely not as difficult as something like Russian or Arabic which has a completely different alphabet.

Make sure you learn the grammar in Portuguese and know how to apply it, if you do this then you should be fine :biggrin:
Original post by Ronove
Irony? :angry:

Perhaps :mmm:
Reply 2282
Original post by jim_lelliott
Spanish is very helpful when learning Portuguese once you learn the differences between the two because a lot of words/verbs are the same or similar... I started this year studying advanced Spanish and starting Portuguese from scratch, but I'm going straight into advanced Portuguese next year so it's not that difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by srm4
It really does depend. Portuguese was my first language so I learned it a different way than you guys who are learning it as an additional language :smile:

The grammar in Portuguese is one of the most difficult in languages (at least in my opinion), but depending on the level of your Spanish it could be easier than some might think. It's not as easy as English but definitely not as difficult as something like Russian or Arabic which has a completely different alphabet.

Make sure you learn the grammar in Portuguese and know how to apply it, if you do this then you should be fine :biggrin:

Oh I see. I'm not actually learning it right now, just thinking about it. :biggrin:
Original post by Dead End Street
Does anyone know what the 'Hugo' books/CDs are like for languages? Especially 'French in three months'?

Absolutely recommendable provided that you're not fazed by grammar flying at you. :smile: But I love the series personally, I can feel myself getting better and better as I progress though the book. :smile:
Original post by constantmeowage
Absolutely recommendable provided that you're not fazed by grammar flying at you. :smile: But I love the series personally, I can feel myself getting better and better as I progress though the book. :smile:

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, I prefer getting to grips with grammar before learning vocabulary anyway. Good to hear.
Original post by thatitootoo
The tutor pointed out how unusual our A2 class is this year :tongue:
1) It's a majority boys class! (3/5!)
2) We are ALL (a bit) foreign! (a BBC girl, a Persian girl, A Dutch speaking African :wink:, A German speaking African guy && a REAL Dutch guy!)

How does this compare to your former class? :wink:
Ausser einer Deutsche waren alle Personen in Großbritannien geboren. Obwohl sie auch britische Staatsangehörigkeit hat!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MangoFreak
I presume you don't mean Victor Hugo because I imagine you might kill yourself trying to read that while learning French :mmm:

Fortunately not! I'm giving Les Misérables a miss for now..
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Ausser einer Deutscherin waren alle Personen in England geboren. Obwohl sie auch britische Staatsangehörigkeit hat!

Completely different!
I do like my new A2 class! But I'm no longer the only one who is confident enough to speak German in class...:
Me and the Dutch guy did most of the talking today. :lol:

I still can't believe that I have gone from doing a 1 night a week GCSE prep course over the summer, to being enrolled on the 2nd year A-LEVEL class for September! :zomg:
Had never even been in a language class before...:dontknow: :L
(edited 10 years ago)
Completely different!
I do like my new A2 class! But I'm no longer the only one who is confident enough to speak German in class...:
Me and the Dutch guy did most of the talking today. :lol:

I still can't believe that I have gone from doing a 1 night a week GCSE prep course over the summer, to being enrolled on the 2nd year A-LEVEL class for September! :zomg:
Had never even been in a language class before...:dontknow: :L
Erwarte viel Arbeit!
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Erwarte viel Arbeit!

Och, natürlich!
Du weißt wie viel ich arbeiten kann, wenn ich die Lust habe, das(s) zu tun...:wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Ich bin endlich frei! ^^ Ich kann jetzt englischsprachige Nachrichten angucken, ohne mich zu fühlen, als ob ich für eine Prüfung wiederholen sollte, indem ich die Nachrichten auf anderen Sprachen angucke. ^^
I'm learning Russian now :tongue:

I love Russian; I never have enough time to learn it :awesome:
Original post by MangoFreak
I love Russian; I never have enough time to learn it :awesome:

:awesome:
I've found that there are a fair number of cognates between German, English and Russian!
Can you guess the German words for these words:
можно - купить - революция - политика - вода - метро - два - можно кофе?!

Ich langweile mich...:tongue:

May I recommend some Russian artists for you to listen to? I discovered Russian music by asking my grandma and father and they gave it to me :tongue:
Ich hoffe, dass die russische Wörte korrekt sind!
Original post by SecretDuck
May I recommend some Russian artists for you to listen to? I discovered Russian music by asking my grandma and father and they gave it to me :tongue:

Da, mozjno!
Ich hoffe, dass die russische Wörte korrekt sind!

I'm re learning the Russian Alphabet properly :yep:

Wanna do some dipping in it, just to improve my maths :mmm:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'm re learning the Russian Alphabet properly :yep:

Wanna do some dipping in it, just to improve my maths :mmm:

CYRILLIC :shakecane:
Da, mozjno!

Da!

Valeria, Bratja Grimm, Jana Friske, Denis Maidonov, Dima Bilan are just a few of the many Russian artists out there.

Happy listening! :crown: