The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography unit 4B 2013 June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Gary
I don't think they will ask anything outside the AIB (e.g. extra research on the response etc), that way students are treated fairly in the exam

We'll need to reference further research listed on the back though.
Reply 181
Original post by Gary
with scatter though, you can draw a line of best fit, and roughly estimate the values of the missing years

the data isn't continous. It's not like each year is related. From looking at the table there isn't a gradual increase. I get your point though.
Reply 182
Original post by HYPERbol
We'll need to reference further research listed on the back though.

yehh thats a definite but atm i just dont know what to do with item 6... and what questions they can potentially ask
Reply 183
For the bar graph then... would you just include 1999,2000, and 2008 but just not fill them in? or just leave them out?

Also why would you use this method? as i don't think i can write like 7 marks on it or w/e
Reply 184
Someone needs to be a saviour and explain the reasons why use the graphs we will use in the figures P1-P4 and someone definitely needs to explain how to evaluate the data in item 6
Original post by etta95
how would u answer the question 'critically evaluate the use of the websites mentioned in item 6 by planners and local people' (7 marks) PLEASE HELP x

erm, the second website shows how much land has moved upwards which is useful to planners to see the damage to buildings and pipes etc, as the land subsided 1.5m & photos are useful in 3rd website as planners can see the damage to the areas and areas which are derelict and damaged and they can see which areas they can open, and also it shows locals and warns them of what areas not to go to. However the majority of the websites are only useful for academic research and aren't really that useful for planners and locals. Not too sure about the first website, as its quite confusing but you could say how it shows the greendale fault zone and the map itself is useful to planners as they can plan transport routes/evacuation routes and they can see where the majority of the population are. I hope that helps :smile: thats all i have really..
Reply 186
Original post by LydiaSmith
erm, the second website shows how much land has moved upwards which is useful to planners to see the damage to buildings and pipes etc, as the land subsided 1.5m & photos are useful in 3rd website as planners can see the damage to the areas and areas which are derelict and damaged and they can see which areas they can open, and also it shows locals and warns them of what areas not to go to. However the majority of the websites are only useful for academic research and aren't really that useful for planners and locals. Not too sure about the first website, as its quite confusing but you could say how it shows the greendale fault zone and the map itself is useful to planners as they can plan transport routes/evacuation routes and they can see where the majority of the population are. I hope that helps :smile: thats all i have really..

Saviour that's better than nothing and given me some ideas thanks a lot
Original post by Gary
For the bar graph then... would you just include 1999,2000, and 2008 but just not fill them in? or just leave them out?

Also why would you use this method? as i don't think i can write like 7 marks on it or w/e

I dont think it would really matter if you didnt include them because its just categoric data, but then again i'm not 100% i'm not really a maths geek.

You would use this method because its categoric data and it isnt consecutive data, therefore it isnt suitable for a line graph.
It is most suitable because it will show variation and the height of the bars will be significantly different, which means its easy to compare the different years. you could maybe write about how the Global top ten hottest years would be on the X-axis and the Anomoly would be on the Y axis. If the question says describe how you would construct the graph you have chosen like the paper in january then you could talk about how there should be a 'break' (squiggly thing) in the graph on the y axis because there would be a gap in the scale and you cant just jump straight to 0.52. But i dont think thats 7 marks, this is all i would know what to write. hope that helped :smile:
Reply 188
I dont think it would really matter if you didnt include them because its just categoric data, but then again i'm not 100% i'm not really a maths geek.

You would use this method because its categoric data and it isnt consecutive data, therefore it isnt suitable for a line graph.
It is most suitable because it will show variation and the height of the bars will be significantly different, which means its easy to compare the different years. you could maybe write about how the Global top ten hottest years would be on the X-axis and the Anomoly would be on the Y axis. If the question says describe how you would construct the graph you have chosen like the paper in january then you could talk about how there should be a 'break' (squiggly thing) in the graph on the y axis because there would be a gap in the scale and you cant just jump straight to 0.52. But i dont think thats 7 marks, this is all i would know what to write. hope that helped :smile:

thank you very much!! :smile:
Reply 189

thank you so much!!!!!!
Reply 190
Original post by Gary
thank you very much!! :smile:

And if its a bar graph then you would be able to compare it to the Figure P1 and hopefully see a link???
does anyone know where i can gets the geog unit 4a paper jan 2013??
Reply 192
Original post by Baldwin94
most people have done spearman's rank for P1 with P2 and P3 with P4 and we just got a result so we can quote it in the exam but most people do not believe we need to do other statistical tests, I think the only thing they will ask you to do is suggest another form the data can be displayed in and suggest reasons why

I did standard deviation for P3 and P4 :frown: wat are the results for spearmans for P3 and P4?? please
Reply 193
Original post by Leroy94
I did standard deviation for P3 and P4 :frown: wat are the results for spearmans for P3 and P4?? please

0.33 no or very weak positive correlation
Can anyone explain how on earth I would answer a 15 mark questions on "To what extent can the Canterbury Plains be seen as an unstable region?" Im really struggling to even get a few marks for it? Thaanks x
Reply 195
Original post by Baldwin94
0.33 no or very weak positive correlation

thank you very much!
Reply 196
Original post by alicejackson95
Can anyone explain how on earth I would answer a 15 mark questions on "To what extent can the Canterbury Plains be seen as an unstable region?" Im really struggling to even get a few marks for it? Thaanks x

The eroded material from the southern alps is hiding a lot of fault lines which means settlements could be in danger and the population wouldn't even know about it. The example would be the green dale earthquake which know body thought would happen. Unconsolidated sediment means serious liquefaction. Arguments for stable is that now the earthquakes have happened they won't happen again for centuries. Sorry not got a lot of answers for the stable argument
Reply 197
me and my friends have noticed that if you click the second link from the AIB booklet online you get a different page compared to if you just copy the link into google-which is the one we're supposed to use would you think? I'm going with the AIB....
Reply 198
should we quote from the booklet or put the info into our own words? also 'should christchurch rebulid and expand?' - how would you answer that? x
Reply 199
Would you actually need to draw the bar graph for figure p2 in the exam if they ask you to choose another method?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending