The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

retinal convergence only occurs with rod cells not cone cells
Original post by ahmmm
why cant we just be fwends? :redface:
i just wrote what was written - he's explained that to us too, pretty self explanatory
june 2011 was 'using DNA in science and tech' ... the bulk of that is in bio5 - not particularly synoptic?

Well that's why they give you an option on two essays. The other essay, inevitably was a proper synoptic question.

Fair enough though on that question.
Reply 2202
Original post by James A
Well that's why they give you an option on two essays. The other essay, inevitably was a proper synoptic question.

Fair enough though on that question.

yeah tbh i agree that it is pretty likely to be one of the seven essays that were said before
chemical mediators , do they travel to their target cells by diffusion?
Reply 2204
anybody got a simple verison of the oestrous cycle??
Original post by ahmmm
anybody got a simple verison of the oestrous cycle??

Remember: 'F.O.L.P.'

(The first letter of each hormone in order of release) :smile:
Reply 2206
Original post by The Oboist.
Remember: 'F.O.L.P.'

(The first letter of each hormone in order or release) :smile:

haha cool thanks :biggrin:
Reply 2207
what points would you mention when answering this question? "Name and briefly describe the sequence of different processes involved from crime scene upto
producing the DNA profile of the suspects."
Reply 2208
Original post by gingerandice
chemical mediators , do they travel to their target cells by diffusion?

yes :smile:
Original post by Anjna
what points would you mention when answering this question? "Name and briefly describe the sequence of different processes involved from crime scene upto
producing the DNA profile of the suspects."

sounds like fingerprint thing last section of the spec.
anyone got any predictions for the synoptic essay?
Reply 2211
Original post by propagation
sounds like fingerprint thing last section of the spec.

And probably a bit of PCR in there as well :smile:
Reply 2212
what would you include for the role of pigments as a 25 marker? all i can think of is RBCs and chlorophyll :s
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2213
if you were asked how does genetic material differ in different bacterium. would you talk about different sequence, type of bases/nucleotides ect
Original post by V95
what would you include for the role of pigments as a 40 marker? all i can think of is RBCs and chlorophyll :s

I don't know what RBC's are but if they are not the pigments in cones-iodopsin and Rods-Rhodopsin
Can someone please help me with q 10 on the specimen paper?

Thanks
Original post by V95
what would you include for the role of pigments as a 40 marker? all i can think of is RBCs and chlorophyll :s

...40 marker?! And I highly doubt we'd get pigments for the essay anyway...
Original post by James A
She means that her comment got a thumbs down. She didn't know why someone would do that.

Because I'm a subscriber, I can see who gives me thumbs up/thumbs downs. I was just curious as to why you didn't like my question I was asking Mocking Bird. :s-smilie:

just interested, how come you have subscribed and what benefits does it give you?
Original post by master y
just interested, how come you have subscribed and what benefits does it give you?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc.php?do=subscribe-to-tsr

Loads of benefits :smile:

But I get mine for free.
When trying to predict the synoptic question, you must look through the content and find threads that run through the two years. They must be sweeping and they must act as a large umbrella under which many substantial topics may fit happily. We have it easier than those before us because there are only so many of these threads to find and I doubt the examiners will repeat themselves.

My bet is on diffusion. You've got Fick's law, absorption in the small intestine, gas exchange, lung disease (and how it reduces efficiency of gas exchange by decreasing SA, reducing diffusion gradients and increasing length of diffusion pathways) and transpiration to name a few. However, one problem with this topic is that there isn't anything all that substantial from unit 5 that pertains to it.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Latest