The Student Room Group

Best route for a 22 year old who failed A-Levels to go into Primary Teaching?

Hi,

I'm a 22 year old guy. I've decided to start again and continue my education. Whilst I got good GCSE's, I basically went off the rails in Year 13 due to Alcohol issues and failed two of my A-Levels and getting a C in the other.

Ive spent the last 4 years working full time and pulling myself together trying to figure out what I want to do. I'm really good with kids and Im a cub leader and have been for 6 years so I think Primary teaching would be a good fit for me. Besides I hear they really need male teachers.

The problem is I cant just go to uni and get started due to my A-Levels. Most courses want 300+ UCAS points and I only have 120.

The options I know of are:

Access Course > Degree > PGCE

Degree with foundation year > PGCE

Self study A-Level > Degree > PGCE

Are there any other options for me? Which is best?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Check whether or not teaching jobs require UCAS points to employ you. I don't know if they do or not but I know a lot of graduate schemes say you need 320 points or whatever plus a 2.1 so double check if that's the case.

If it is: do the A levels because otherwise you fall at the first hurdle. Access courses don't actually give you any UCAS points so if you qualified as a teacher and then the job description said "320 UCAS points, 2.1 degree with QTS" for example you wouldn't fit the requirements.
If it isn't: Access course is cheaper than foundation year as far as I'm aware. They're about 2k compared to the 9k you would pay doing a foundation year so it just saves you the money in the long run.

Finally: if you do a primary teaching degree you won't need a PGCE. There are lots of primary teaching degrees which offer the QTS needed so you wouldn't need to do that after your degree. If you did an unrelated degree or you did something like Education Studies you would need to do a PGCE but if you can get onto a primary teaching course with QTS (like the ones at Roehampton, Durham, Canterbury Christ Church, Winchester etc) you don't need the PGCE.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
How does one go about doing that? Is it hard to self teach? What about entering yourself into the exams, how does that all work?

The A-Level route was my least favorable option because I'd have to do it alone but it looks like thats the only way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
You could apply to Durham university foundation centre,you do a foundation year which you can apply for student finance for.If you pass the foundation year you automatically progress to teaching training.You dont need A levels for entry requirements and they consider work experiemce,motivation to learn etc. I got a place with one A level and an AS level.Some people on the course didnt have any qualiications. Most people were your age and above.....and its Durham !
Original post by WannabeCrypto
Hi,

I'm a 22 year old guy. I've decided to start again and continue my education. Whilst I got good GCSE's, I basically went off the rails in Year 13 due to Alcohol issues and failed two of my A-Levels and getting a C in the other.

Ive spent the last 4 years working full time and pulling myself together trying to figure out what I want to do. I'm really good with kids and Im a cub leader and have been for 6 years so I think Primary teaching would be a good fit for me. Besides I hear they really need male teachers.

The problem is I cant just go to uni and get started due to my A-Levels. Most courses want 300+ UCAS points and I only have 120.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another option is a degree with QTS status imbedded, meaning there is no need to complete a PGCE afterwards.
Reply 6
You're actually in a really similar situation to me, I'm 22 and did horrendeous in my A levels. I came out with one A level (an E) and two AS levels (C and a D). I'm considering Primary teaching and I'm finally going back into education this September doing an Access course in humanities and teaching. I'm hoping to go on to study a Primary Education BEd. I'm doing work experience in a primary school alongside working full time.

The problem with self studying A Levels is it requires a lot of motivation alone. It depends what kind of person you are. My personality and attitude has changed a lot since school, and I used to HATE school (I pretty much did my A levels because I didn't know what to do with myself) but now I'm really excited about going to a new college. I'm getting my tuition fees paid for because my awful grades didn't count as a full level 3 qualification. From the sounds of it, yours won't either so you should be able to get it paid for!
Reply 7
I did really badly in my A-Levels. Before I even did my exams (knew I'd do badly - I'd gone off the rails education-wise), I secured a job in childcare. I was able to do Level 2 and 3 Btec and NVQ while working full time. I am now off to uni in September to do a Primary Education degree. That is a degree that includes QTS, so no need for a PGCE :smile:
I'm 23, by the way :smile:
Reply 8
How does one go about doing that? Is it hard to self teach? What about entering yourself into the exams, how does that all work?

The A-Level route was my least favorable option because I'd have to do it alone but it looks like thats the only way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have just turned 21 and i did really bad at my alevels came out with DDE

This year I went back to do my alevels privately and I have 2 more exams left but I am in a strong position to secure BBB

My subjects are physics maths and biology

I also got private tutoring which I recommend but in can be expensive

It is really depressing knowing some of my friends have graduated this year

But you have to realise it's better to be late than never

your we are still very young

You have your whole life still ahead :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Hi mate, I'm also 22 and going back to university to get into teaching and I'm also thinking of going down the primary route! I'm doing a 1 year access course in teaching. I can either then go subject specific e.g. English or I can do a primary education degree which includes QTS so no need for the PGCE year after. The access course should have been £1000 but I get the fees wavered as I don't have a level 3 qualification. I've been told that an access course is good prep for uni in terms of a busy workload and referencing the same as if you were at uni.

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Or you could do an Access course, and then a degree in Primary Education with QTS :biggrin:

Like meeee
Original post by Soncheese
I have just turned 21 and i did really bad at my alevels came out with DDE

This year I went back to do my alevels privately and I have 2 more exams left but I am in a strong position to secure BBB

My subjects are physics maths and biology

I also got private tutoring which I recommend but in can be expensive

It is really depressing knowing some of my friends have graduated this year

But you have to realise it's better to be late than never

your we are still very young

You have your whole life still ahead :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

So did u apply to uni, and if so, did u get any offers?? What course did u apply too?
You could do an access course/ a levels then a degree.

You don't necessarily have to get a PGCE

If your degree doesn't have QTS status, some schools offer work based training into teaching and enabling you to get Newly qualified teacher status that way. My sister did this after she failed to get into a Uni for her PGCE and is now a department head. However, this was a secondary school I don't know how many PrimRy schools offer this
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dropped out of college on my AS year, ended up completing an NVQ level 3 in Children and Young People's Workforce > Foundation Degree in early childhood studies (level 4&5) > then a top up year giving me a BA (honors) degree - and I've been offered a PGCE course.

A teacher at my school is 21- she completed a 3 year Primary Education Degree with QTS and did not need to do a PGCE with it. You can't teach abroad without a PGCE but if your happy in England you only need a QTS to be a teacher :smile:
Original post by Cleo1988
I dropped out of college on my AS year, ended up completing an NVQ level 3 in Children and Young People's Workforce > Foundation Degree in early childhood studies (level 4&5) > then a top up year giving me a BA (honors) degree - and I've been offered a PGCE course.

A teacher at my school is 21- she completed a 3 year Primary Education Degree with QTS and did not need to do a PGCE with it. You can't teach abroad without a PGCE but if your happy in England you only need a QTS to be a teacher :smile:

Please check the date before posting - the last post was three-and-a-half years ago and I think the OP has his answer!

Spoiler

As per @Reality Check's suggestion I am closing this thread as it is quite old now. OP could be well on the way to being a primary school teacher!

~Neo

Latest

Trending

Trending