The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathsgeek1995
But there were some people who didn't do the replacement paper!! They did the original paper! So how is it fair! I think a resit is the best option so everyone has and equal opportunity

It won't be fair to the students who sat the replacement and still did well overall as they kept their calm and were able to apply their knowledge to the questions asked.
Reply 3242
Original post by madaboutmambo
*sigh* it was undoubtedly the toughest C3 paper ever! I know because I spent those 8 days, on coffee studying just c3, answering every single question on the text book, every single edexcel paper from 2003 (jan and june), every solomon paper there was and a couple of delphis papers as well. For someone like me, whose not naturally good at maths, it's all about practice. practice. practice. But when you do everything you can and sit a paper like that, you get so demoralised and it's just heartbreaking. It really is. Lost hope to get into a good uni now. FML.
And then they decide not to keep the much-needed january sessions! -______-
It sucks knowing this was a replacement paper, who knows, maybe our original paper would have been a relatively easier one although I am aware that they try to make all the papers of equal standards which is just BS because this wasn't of usual standards! It was sky high!
I think that luck does have a role in this and our batch is generally unlucky even in the past with our IGCSEs (our art papers were effed up)
And you know what hurts the most? The 13th of June was my birthday. Thanks a lot edexcel.

I am in the Exact same position as you.

But we can all continue to bitch, or smash C4 then complain appropriately when the time comes.

But for now - onto C4, you're all wasting energy here complaining. Go to school show your Teachers the BBC Article, and to the Head of Maths, and then get on with work.

If you don't keep working C4 will destroy you. I personally want to have a bit of revenge after that C3 Paper to be honest.

Come at me.
Reply 3243
Original post by MathsNerd1
It won't be fair to the students who sat the replacement and still did well overall as they kept their calm and were able to apply their knowledge to the questions asked.

Exactly. It was a difficult Paper not simply because of the fact that Paper was hard but the Questions were Asked in a manner not ever asked before; which makes the point in sitting an Examination almost redundant.

I am sure if all of the Previous Papers were similar we would all be able to answer the questions, but if you get a Paper which is so different in your last June Examination sitting you will be Psychologically distraught.

Some girls walked out crying from my Exam Hall.

I'm not too fussed for now. I still have C4, Chem 4 and Phys 4 to smash.

I will show no mercy.

Crying about this Exam is just wasted energy right now. I will complain with full force if it is only C3 that prevents me from getting an A* but until then, come at me Exams.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MathsNerd1
Yeah I'm aware of what it means but all I take from people's responses is that they are jealous about the fact someone did better than them and can't completely see where this outburst has came from. If anything the internationals that sat will most likely have an advantage considering the content was all over the news and Facebook and twitter :redface:

Fair enough and good luck with the rest of the things you have, let's just show them what we're made of in C4!! :biggrin:

Yep. Gbs may be slightly heightened by people discussing publicly, specific questions, online. As the forewarned ppl may (or may not) do better
Guys, am I the only one crapping myself about C4?!
Original post by Better
Exactly. It was a difficult Paper not simply because of the fact that Paper was hard but the Questions were Asked in a manner not ever asked before; which makes the point in sitting an Examination almost redundant.

I am sure if all of the Previous Papers were similar we would all be able to answer the questions, but if you get a Paper which is so different in your last June Examination sitting you will be Psychologically distraught.

Some girls walked out crying from my Exam Hall.

I'm not too fussed for now. I still have C4, Chem 4 and Phys 4 to smash.

I will show no mercy.

Crying about this Exam is just wasted energy right now. I will complain with full force if it is only C3 that prevents me from getting an A* but until then, come at me Exams.

This is the right approach to have I believe, let's just go and smash the other exams first!! Then it can be discussed but I'd prefer if we didn't have to do a resit as people are basically asking for a second change as it was hard, even though that's the point of an exam to be able the separate the best from the majority.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Guys, am I the only one crapping myself about C4?!

I'm worried but after venting my frustration yesterday I realized that the best think I can do now is C4 revision.
Original post by reubenkinara
Yep. Gbs may be slightly heightened by people discussing publicly, specific questions, online. As the forewarned ppl may (or may not) do better

I'll be rather annoyed if that happens!
Original post by Better
I am in the Exact same position as you.

But we can all continue to bitch, or smash C4 then complain appropriately when the time comes.

But for now - onto C4, you're all wasting energy here complaining. Go to school show your Teachers the BBC Article, and to the Head of Maths, and then get on with work.

If you don't keep working C4 will destroy you. I personally want to have a bit of revenge after that C3 Paper to be honest.

Come at me.

K I shall have the same mentality as you. C4 is my final paper, so I got to give it my best shot! Let's do this sh*t.

That's simply not going to happen, they're not going to give free re-sits because of two schools.

All this is just people grasping at straws because they didn't do as well as they expected, tbh
(edited 10 years ago)
I agree with everyone saying that this was a tough paper, but edexcel really do need to consider the students views as appose to making rash decisions based on their view of the exam.

Alot of people, including myself are sitting these A2 core modules hoping to do well to get a place at our firm choices, i would be deeply gutted to see a declined offer on UCAS track on the morning of results day due to this silly paper.

A pleasant thing that edexcel should do is to see this problem from the students side:
*Many, if not all students that sat C3 are dependant on this for uni places.
*LEAKED papers were sat, this isn't the fault directly related to edexcel as many students and all centres were made aware of the change of papers. But for the leaked papers to be even given a mark is utter stupidity, the best part of half or more of those students that sat that paper most probably were aware of the leaked paper and i wouldn't be surprised if a handful have seen the paper beforehand.
*In terms of a free resit (that most students would like) i dont see the need to be put through another few tense weeks of revision just for a slip up on edexcels behalf.

I got home after the exam yesterday to find myself calculating up what i would require in C4 to get a B overall...Its panic! Most people now would be dreading the C4 exam and all will now be eagerly desperate to find out what edexcel plan to do in response.

Results day this august isnt going to be the best after yesterdays paper for me.

I hope edexcel do something reasonable about this, since it is a huge story!
Hey guys probably not the right time, but how many marks will i get for expanding everything in question 3, and how many will i lose if i missed out one solution for the gf(x)=16 question. Thanks :smile:
Reply 3253
I certainly agree with most your comments but ensure you complain to your teachers to file a complaint for a resit ASAP so edexcel can give a suitable date.. but definitely focus on C4 hopefully it won't be as disastrous as this paper.

Goodluck guys.
Original post by RainieXD
Thing is, I didn't think this paper was impossible, and it was surely doable. But the fact that it was so different completely screwed me over. I revised so much for this and to get a paper like that i had a massive panic attack as soon as i saw the first question.
It's not even about it being hard, it was just really unexpected and stressed me out so much I spent half the exam thinking about my life at a chicken shop as I was surely not getting my A*. Didn't even consider that they'd lower the boundaries. It's just.. I don't know if others get this but as soon as you can't do one question (That was the first question for me =.= ) it puts you off for the whole paper and you screw up nicely cause of the stress and pressure.

Sigh. Sorry for the blab.

I appreciate that people worked hard and that stress got to many people a bit (people were tearing up in the exam hall), and I myself froze at the beginning of question 3 for a bit. However apart from the speed and distance and stuff like that which threw everyone off everything was on the syllabus Afterwards people moaned how they couldnt get ff(0) because they didnt give the equation of f(x), but if you're a proper a level maths student you would see that it was a simple linear line (which they said at the top).
Everything was on syllabus, but it was a proper test. I'm not great at maths, but a little bit of common sense helped me through most of those questions
Reply 3255
This ain't the first time it's happened either

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18425283

May have cost me my first choice uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think murking C4 is the only possibility now. Still won't get an A* though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have tips on revising C4? also the list of formulas we need to memorise?
I hope that C4 wont be really hard :frown:
Reply 3258
c'mon everyone will forget how hard c3 was if we wait till tuesday!
Edexcel are a wholly incompetent body. This is not the first time they have proved themselves completely incapable and I very much doubt this will be the last. So many students risk their careers, university places and futures on an organisation that shows a lack of care and total negligence. If they in a true commercial world that answered to their customers they would have failed many years ago. How can Edexcel continue to set the examinations in the UK? After reading their statement on the website it becomes quite apparent that they have very little knowledge of the syllabus they are basing their examinations on. I am very tempted to start an online Parliamentary petition to insist that the Government discusses a board that feels it can ruin students futures by its incompetence. 150,000 signatures would be required. It would be too late for those of us who sat examinations this year but, it might help future students.

Rant over. Months of hard work down the drain just because they cannot manage to deliver the examination papers. Now, we are left with the hopes that they will lower the grade boundaries. What is the point?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending