The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography unit 4B 2013 June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
ADVANTAGES:-
1. Beautiful and neatly constructed diagrams/charts are more attractive then simple figures
2. Comparison is made easy and it will save time of the user to make quick comparison of large data.
3. You can record comparison between two things or objects.

DISADVANTAGES:-
1. Graph categories can be reordered to emphasize certain effects
2. Use only with discrete data
3. Limited space for labeling with vertical bar graphs
Reply 201
what could they ask about p6?
Reply 202
Good luck everyone!! Just having a last read through the booklet hoping something will pop out at me! Not looking forward to this!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
How did everyone find it?! I thought it was a really nice paper!
Original post by emah123
How did everyone find it?! I thought it was a really nice paper!

Yeah, I thought that too, the only dodgyish question was Q4. I don't trust it tbh.
Reply 205
Original post by Croydon'Stepper
Yeah, I thought that too, the only dodgyish question was Q4. I don't trust it tbh.

Which q was that? The one on the causes of the earthquake?
Original post by emah123
Which q was that? The one on the causes of the earthquake?

Nah, it was about the woman and her family, and whether you advise her to stay or leave or something like that. It was an 8 marker I think.
I am very happy with how that went today :smile:
Reply 208
considering i didnt know what to expect thought it went really well
Reply 209
Grade boundaries gonna be high I recon

Posted from TSR Mobile
That went absolutely Cr*p. Expecting a U tbh. What did people write for Qs 2 and 3, the one on causes of the earthquake and how p1 can be used with p2?? So nervous for results :frown:
I loved all the questions except the last two - about the women and advice to her mum about why it's ok to stay and the one about why people live in earthquake zones. Overall thought it was a nice paper :biggrin:
That was a very nice paper - esp. nice as it was my last exam :smile:

Some of those questions were GCSE level (i.e. especially the 1st)/not far beyond basic comprehension - and I believe my Edexcel GCSE skills paper was perhaps harder 2 years ago. Grade boundaries will have to be significantly higher i.e. at least 50/60 for an a* rather than 45 like last June.

The early questions i.e. trends in figure p1, causes of earthquake, reason for death toll were self-explanatory. The questions that probably will differentiate between students, and were slightly more challenging, were the last 2 questions: i.e. on why there will not be "further, bigger" quakes and why people live in quake prone areas - although those were relatively nice too. These were more synoptic questions based partly on wider knowledge.
I thought that went quite well, made a stupid mistake on the last one though. I basically rattled off a bunch of benefits of living in an earthquake prone area and explained them, and said that sometimes the benefits out weigh the hazards, but i then forgot to say why that meant more people lived in the area, i only mentioned it in my intro :frown: Would that affect the mark for that question much?
Original post by flower124
That went absolutely Cr*p. Expecting a U tbh. What did people write for Qs 2 and 3, the one on causes of the earthquake and how p1 can be used with p2?? So nervous for results :frown:

I wrote about how it was a triggered earthquake and so was caused by the Darfield quake, and mentioned the type of fault movement (reverse) and its stress release etc causing the earthquake, I think that was what it was looking for. What did you put, out of interest? You probably didn't do as bad as you think :smile:
I can't even remember what I wrote to be honest! Blanked the whole thing out of my memory!! I think I wrote something about the fault line and how it released a large amount of stress that had been building up over a long time.. for question 2 I wrote absolutely loads but I said over all there's not that much to show that global warming is linked to natural hazards and for question 1 I talked about whether the natural hazards showed an increase or not... I'm worried, thank you though :smile: Nervous wait til August as I really don't think the other paper went at all well either!
Reply 216
Original post by flower124
I can't even remember what I wrote to be honest! Blanked the whole thing out of my memory!! I think I wrote something about the fault line and how it released a large amount of stress that had been building up over a long time.. for question 2 I wrote absolutely loads but I said over all there's not that much to show that global warming is linked to natural hazards and for question 1 I talked about whether the natural hazards showed an increase or not... I'm worried, thank you though :smile: Nervous wait til August as I really don't think the other paper went at all well either!

I'm sure you've done fine, it's probably just post exam stress :smile:
Reply 217
What did everyone write for the last question on reasons for living in an earthquake prone area? Was it to do with population growth and marginal land?
^^^ I put that as the population is increasing, people are being forced to live in seismically active areas. I also put that on the other hand, people actually choose to live in these areas, such as in California, as they have enough preparadness and such a strict building code that should any seismic activity occur, the effects should be greatly minimised, so it is not really a problem.
Original post by lucyt123
What did everyone write for the last question on reasons for living in an earthquake prone area? Was it to do with population growth and marginal land?

I said more about what was mentioned in the AIB about jobs, children being happy, invested a lot in the house and would lose money if moved away etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending