The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Just out of interest, how much research have you guys done for each business. For example, I'm averaging at about 1-2 A4 pages per business...
Here's a pretty good article on Tutor2U about exam technique: http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/business-studies/comments/10-tips-to-think-of-when-writing-a-buss4-essay-answer

Many thanks to Joe Corcoran from Greenhead College for this superb advice on BUSS4 essay writing. Well worth putting these tips into practice!

Don't forget that Mark Mitchell, Joe's teaching colleague at Greenhead, has recently written a comprehensive guide to BUSS4 essay writing - which is now also available in a full-colour printed edition from the tutor2u online store! We have a couple of boxes left, so order one soon if you would like a copy in good time for the BUSS4 exam.

1. Avoid business cliché (e.g. ‘It’s not all doom & gloom’, ‘blue sky thinking by senior management’ etc.)

2. Avoid shopping lists of points in your paragraphs try and develop one point of argument through an entire paragraph (use connective stepping stones as an approach)

3. Don’t assume the examiner knows your examples set the scene with a brief one line summary of the industry or market the company operates in.

4. Don't rely on just what you discuss in class with your Teacher think about how could you dig a little deeper on your examples who know’s, that company may be a suitable example for not one but five or six topics covered on the module.

5. Avoid 2/3 line final paragraphs your final paragraph is evaluative in nature, not simply a conclusion. There is 14 marks awarded for evaluation on a BUSS4 essay and most of these will be accessed in that final paragraph.

6. Make sure you read the question more than once the question might be about ‘technological change’, not ‘technology’. That should make you think about the type of examples you bring into your essay.

7. Don't dive into your arguments a 4/5 line introduction paragraph at the start of the essay helps set the scene and adds structure to your answer. Remember this is an essay so a logical structure and framework needs to be in place.

8. Your arguments should be underpinned by links to relevant theory, frameworks or models covered over the entire two year syllabus. You don’t want your answer to be like something a pedestrian on the street could write. Your answer needs to reflect the textbooks, notes and theory read and revised in the run up to this exam!

9. Avoid what I call ‘default analysis’. This is where your chain of analysis always ends in ‘this will lead to poor cash flow’ or ‘resulting in less profit’ or ‘loss of turnover which in turn leads to low profit and this results in the business closing down’. In some cases your argument may have an end product like this but don’t repeat that outcome in 4 arguments in the same essay. The examiner will see through this and it will indicate that the writer has not really understood what the question is asking.

10. Think about does your example support the point your making? For example, there is no point in using Facebook as an example about culture if the question specifically wants you to consider change in culture. For instance, using Barclay’s and their change in CEO would be more effective in building an argument.

Hope these top tips help. Whether they are that ‘top’ depends on what you think. They actually came from a result of group feedback I shared with my own A2 teaching groups on some essays they did just before Easter. I must admit it got my students thinking about their own approach to essay writing in BUSS4.

Happy Researching!

Joe Corcoran
Does anyone think a question on the economy (Recession) might come up in section B?
Reply 143
Original post by arnoob
Just out of interest, how much research have you guys done for each business. For example, I'm averaging at about 1-2 A4 pages per business...

You're really going in deep.
But it's good if it's not time consuming.
But make sure you find relevant points which back up your points.
You wouldn't want to write a story of a firm's history for the examiner.
Reply 144
Original post by dan94adibi
You're really going in deep.
But it's good if it's not time consuming.
But make sure you find relevant points which back up your points.
You wouldn't want to write a story of a firm's history for the examiner.

I saw an answer that got 36 marks when half the essay was a story on steve jobs life
Reply 145
Original post by yaboy
I saw an answer that got 36 marks when half the essay was a story on steve jobs life

Well I have no idea. But I wouldn't risk writing a story. Only if I have absolutely no idea about the question.
Reply 146
Can somebody list the main theories we should learn for section A? I know theres Handy and Schien but what are the others?
As I re-sat unit 3, I have hardly had any time to revise for unit 4! Not looking forward to this at all...
Also, HOW is everyone researching? I have 4-5 example companies per bullet point quite detailed (not too detailed - don't want it to be a 'story') and then I'll start practicing essays. Is this the way to go?
Original post by james2557
Can somebody list the main theories we should learn for section A? I know theres Handy and Schien but what are the others?

The others ones you'll want to know are Cooke and Hofstede.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrChuckNorris
Yeah I've got quite a few notes, just on Culture though but I'm having trouble with structuring the essay and making a plan

Here's the essay structure that I use, it's reccomended by AQA too.
Original post by CharlieTT
Generic Essay structure right here:

Introduction

Definition of topic you will be discussing e.g. CSR, Culture etc.

Setting the scene for what you will be discussing e.g. Relate a business you will be talking about to the topic

Argument

Point 1

Evidence/Example 1

Evaluate 1

Point 2

Evidence/Example 2

Evaluate 2

Link back to question

Counter Argument

Point 1

Evidence/Example 1

Evaluate 1

Point 2

Evidence/Example 2

Evaluate 2

Link back to question

Concluding Paragraph

Answer/Address

It Depends

Most Important

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabrielleDsouza
I am clueless about this exam. I'm aiming for an A. But I have no idea of essay structure and only minimal research done. Can any one help?
Also any predictions as to what might come up...

Here's the essay structure I use. Am recommending it on all the BUSS4 threads here :P

Original post by CharlieTT
Generic Essay structure right here:

Introduction

Definition of topic you will be discussing e.g. CSR, Culture etc.

Setting the scene for what you will be discussing e.g. Relate a business you will be talking about to the topic

Argument

Point 1

Evidence/Example 1

Evaluate 1

Point 2

Evidence/Example 2

Evaluate 2

Link back to question

Counter Argument

Point 1

Evidence/Example 1

Evaluate 1

Point 2

Evidence/Example 2

Evaluate 2

Link back to question

Concluding Paragraph

Answer/Address

It Depends

Most Important

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
can someone pls tell me what businesses used task culture, role culture, people culture and power culture pllsssss! God bless
My book only mentions charles handys culture guide so i am trying to learn hofstede's theory also. My understanding is that it explains how different nationalities within an organisation have different cultures, so for example, a UK firm moving abroad to China will mean that there could be 2 types of culture within the organisation?
Reply 154
Original post by OEAFAS
can someone pls tell me what businesses used task culture, role culture, people culture and power culture pllsssss! God bless

Task culture - Google, Youtube, Facebook etc. where teamwork is used to complete tasks. Emphasis on innovation, ingenuity, creativity etc. to solve problems

Role culture - Nokia, Barclays etc. where rules and procedures are used, very formal and hierarchical

People culture - Law firms, accounting firms, dentist practioners etc. where all employees are similarly skilled/qualified

Power culture - usually a small business, such as a corner shop, where the owner makes all the decsions

Hope this helps
Reply 155
yes thanks but how can I use it in a question and what kind of question will be asked? if u get me??:s-smilie:
Reply 156
Original post by Gurd33p
Task culture - Google, Youtube, Facebook etc. where teamwork is used to complete tasks. Emphasis on innovation, ingenuity, creativity etc. to solve problems

Role culture - Nokia, Barclays etc. where rules and procedures are used, very formal and hierarchical

People culture - Law firms, accounting firms, dentist practioners etc. where all employees are similarly skilled/qualified

Power culture - usually a small business, such as a corner shop, where the owner makes all the decsions

Hope this helps

yes thanks but how can I use it in a question and what kind of question will be asked? if u get me??
Original post by OEAFAS
yes thanks but how can I use it in a question and what kind of question will be asked? if u get me??

Something like 'Is culture integral to the success of a business?' and then say yes, and why with examples, eg at Google or whatever and then the other side by saying no, why and with examples eg Barclays.
Reply 158
Original post by Superunknown17
Something like 'Is culture integral to the success of a business?' and then say yes, and why with examples, eg at Google or whatever and then the other side by saying no, why and with examples eg Barclays.

thanks buh why no Barclays?
Reply 159
Going to start revising for this tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending