The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
if that comes up i'll love the examiners forever.

I know! it has not yet came up in any of the papers so fingers crossed! Also an essay about protein structure relating to its function or DNA transfer or a specific enzyme Q are yet to come up!
Reply 2341
Original post by marleyxd
Its not RNA Polymerase its Helicase that separates the 2 strands

Ohhhh yeah thanks! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2342
Original post by bad8oy
Yeah that's right...the DNA strand is acting like a template for RNA polymerase to from the comp strand which is pre mRNA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by sienna5
RNA polymerase is a enzyme that moves along the DNA, allowing the 2 strands to separate and assembling the premRNA strand by lining up free nucleotides by the template DNA strand

RNA polymerase reaches a stop signal in DNA eventually and then mRNA production stopped and the enzyme deattaches

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by sienna5
RNA polymerase is a enzyme that moves along the DNA, allowing the 2 strands to separate and assembling the premRNA strand by lining up free nucleotides by the template DNA strand

RNA polymerase reaches a stop signal in DNA eventually and then mRNA production stopped and the enzyme deattaches

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by James A
I can confirm this :yep:

Thanks guys! Don't wan't to give wrong information and at least if i am wrong i get to learn this way too!
Reply 2343
Is DNA ligase a enzyme that is used to anneal sticky ends with the required gene?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by temi1234
Am i the only one who would rather have a multiple answer paper like in the US? Wouldn't that be amazing? :redface:

I have multiple choice for the first part of my Chemistry paper. They can be nasty because sometimes they confuse you and you think it could be either of the the questions. Plus you can spend ages on working one out and it's only worth one mark so you waste time. Not cool :frown:
Original post by sienna5
That would be a BLESSING seeing as I have just resat the unit 4 last week,

What is the chance that a essay question about the biological importance of water will come up?!!

Slim I think! Well I hope it don't come up because I would be screwed haha!
Original post by marleyxd
Its not RNA Polymerase its Helicase that separates the 2 strands

So helicase for semi-conservative replication & transcription !?
trying not to get panicky.........................................................wooooooooooosssshshhhaaaaa
Original post by samfreak
im feelin sick all the time, got headaches, stomach paina due to hunger but ive also lost my appetite. this aint allowing me to revise i have three days left what shud i do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get a question paper and the mark schemes and just read them!
Original post by sienna5
Is DNA ligase a enzyme that is used to anneal sticky ends with the required gene?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, it anneals the 'sticky ends' of the plasmid and the gene :smile:
Original post by flyylikejetz
Right so FSH stimulates Oestrogen production from the follice which is maturing, but then oestrogen inhibits FSH, but at it's peak oestrogen stimulates FSH which again stimulates more oestrogen ( Is this the positive feedback part to focus on) ?

The bit I highlighted you don't need to worry about though.

The positive feedback you need to worry about:

An increase in Oestrogen production (from the follicles) allows for a critical point to me reached. At this critical point, Oestrogen stimulates the production of FSH and LH. (hence causing ovulation).
Reply 2351
Specimen past papers are terrible, does anyone have any REAL past papers cus I can only seem to find like 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2352
Does anyone have any tips on how to structure the essay, and just generally any advice on improving your mark?
Reply 2353
Original post by sienna5

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sticky end pair up and the ligase is used to join phosphate sugar framework of the 2 sections of DNA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2354
Original post by ConorP
Specimen past papers are terrible, does anyone have any REAL past papers cus I can only seem to find like 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are only 4 including the specimen, cause BIOL5 is only taken in June!
Original post by James A
The bit I highlighted you don't need to worry about though.

The positive feedback you need to worry about:

An increase in Oestrogen production (from the follicles) allows for a critical point to me reached. At this critical point, Oestrogen stimulates the production of FSH and LH. (hence causing ovulation).

Any idea why it stimulates FSH and not just LH on its own as this is the main to cause ovulation or is it because they are both from the pituitary gland ?
Reply 2356
Original post by amberpen
Does anyone have any tips on how to structure the essay, and just generally any advice on improving your mark?

Basically write brief intro, then 3/4 main paragraphs and then a brief conclusion . Don't waste to much time on intro/conclusion :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2357
Original post by flyylikejetz
So helicase for semi-conservative replication & transcription !?

Yeah it's doing the same job in both though

Posted from TSR Mobile
which of the legacy papers feature unit 5 content ?
Reply 2359
Original post by MLogan
There are only 4 including the specimen, cause BIOL5 is only taken in June!

Ohhh :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending