The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE maths Unit C Higher - June 2013

So for those OCR-ers on GCSE doing their Unit C higher exam, good luck in advance! A quick 'questionnaire' for you about the exam:

- What grades/marks have you got in the previous 2 units?
- What's your target grade?
- How well prepared are you feeling?
- Which topic, if any, are you worried about?

I'll answer myself;

- Two A*s (one at 100%, another at 91%)
- A/A*
- Very well prepared, i've been revising it for the past two months, getting this A* means a lot to me!
- I'm not feeling worried per se about any topics, but might not perform as well on algebraic proof.

Share your thoughts!

(ps: if i've got 191 UMS so far, how many marks do you reckon i'd need in this exam to get an overall A*? I'm guessing 80+?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
10 days to go!
anyone scared?
so far i have gotten in Unit A- 89% , Unit B- 83%... in this Unit C exam i need 34% to get a C, 54% to get a B, 74% to get an A, 94% for an A*. Not bad. Im doing Maths for A-Level. Good luck to you all
Reply 6
do we need to know circle equations for this unit?
Original post by merlynct
do we need to know circle equations for this unit?

no, thank god.
Reply 8
Hey :smile: how did everyone find the exam??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Well everyone in my class found it easy! But I messed up bigggg time on like every single big question! I feel like crying cauz of that! Like I made soo many silly mistakes :mad:
Reply 10
Original post by ommgg!whyy
Well everyone in my class found it easy! But I messed up bigggg time on like every single big question! I feel like crying cauz of that! Like I made soo many silly mistakes :mad:

Yeah there were so many big markers which made it hard because if you make a small mistake at one step it messes up the whole answer :frown: but other than that i thought it was decent.. I'm so glad I brought my pair of compasses with me for the construction question :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I did the construction question wrong and did the triangles w/o a compass, which is wrong, but did the square base correct, how many marks do you reckon i'm able to get?

Apart from that I felt the exam was really easy, 7 mark simultaneous equations question = :smile:
It was a brilliant exam today, think I did great in everything except on the question where you had to label which was a formula, equation, expression and identity, and the question where you had to express 2f(x) in the form ax+b.

What did you guys do for these questions?
For the first I put, in order, Formula, Equation, expression.
For the second 2f(x) I put 2a(x)+2b. And for f(2x) I put a(2x)+b.
Reply 13
IIRC (could be different numbers, but similar)

f(x) = 2x + 3

so 2f(x) = 2(2x+3) = 4x + 6

and f(2x) = 2(2x) + 3 = 4x + 3
Reply 14
Original post by MyChemicalGarden
It was a brilliant exam today, think I did great in everything except on the question where you had to label which was a formula, equation, expression and identity, and the question where you had to express 2f(x) in the form ax+b.

I put Expression, Equation, Identity but they were complete guesses! Yeah I hate those function questions too!
And for the construction of the net question I found the angle and used my protractor as I had a blank and couldn't figure out how to use my compass! Do you think they'll give me some marks at least?! :eek:
Original post by cenxo
IIRC (could be different numbers, but similar)

f(x) = 2x + 3

so 2f(x) = 2(2x+3) = 4x + 6

and f(2x) = 2(2x) + 3 = 4x + 3

Oh damn, your kidding?! I thought we weren't supposed to used the function from part a. D: oh well, there goes 2 marks

What did you get for naming the Expression, Equation, Identity and Formula?
Original post by Bethany_
I put Expression, Equation, Identity but they were complete guesses! Yeah I hate those function questions too!
And for the construction of the net question I found the angle and used my protractor as I had a blank and couldn't figure out how to use my compass! Do you think they'll give me some marks at least?! :eek:

I cant remember how many marks the question was, but I'm sure you will get at least 1 mark for drawing the 3x3 square base correctly (with a ruler) with the correct scaling.

But yeah those function and labeling questions were a pain, i knew how to do every other question apart from those two, and they were probably one of the easiest ones in the paper!
Reply 17
Original post by MyChemicalGarden

I put Expression, Equation, Identity, but I didn't get the other question.
Reply 18
Original post by Bethany_

Yeah definitely! It was 5 marks so I reckon you would get at least 2 for the base and attempting to do it with a protractor :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
when do you reckon the paper will be available online (if ever)?

Latest

Trending

Trending