The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Does anyone have a link to the Jan 2013 F334 paper?
Reply 61
Original post by LCFCKris
Does anyone have a link to the Jan 2013 F334 paper?

Here you go :smile:
Need to get above 80 marks probably to make up for losing stupid stupid marks in F335. :frown:
Reply 63
Right, okay I'm gonna smash revision for this today - as with most my exams I produce a list of generic recurring answers

I'll upload them here when I finish :smile: not long now people!!
Reply 64
also, here are the Chemical Ideas answers (I don't think they're from the same edition) so might be a little off
Reply 65
Original post by Tikara
Right, okay I'm gonna smash revision for this today - as with most my exams I produce a list of generic recurring answers

I'll upload them here when I finish :smile: not long now people!!

Cheers dude, that'll be really helpful! :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by abzy1234
Cheers dude, that'll be really helpful! :smile:

okay, I just compiled some chemical tests and some generic questions and answers to experimental technique questions (courtesy of billybobs from the F335 thread :smile: )

I'm just gonna start ripping through past papers now so I should have some generic ones by the end of today/tomorrow ;D
Reply 67
Original post by Tikara
okay, I just compiled some chemical tests and some generic questions and answers to experimental technique questions (courtesy of billybobs from the F335 thread :smile: )

I'm just gonna start ripping through past papers now so I should have some generic ones by the end of today/tomorrow ;D

Thanks for that! That'll be helpful; good luck in them past papers! :biggrin:
Reply 68
curlty arrow.JPG

Guys, does anyone know how exactly to do curly arrows - eg in nuclephilic addition, would you draw the arrow going straight to the carbon or to the space next to it to indicate a bond making? above is what the MS said, so it's kind of near the C but just next to it and not going into it... ? never knew how to do these properly haha
Reply 69
Original post by Tikara
curlty arrow.JPG

Guys, does anyone know how exactly to do curly arrows - eg in nuclephilic addition, would you draw the arrow going straight to the carbon or to the space next to it to indicate a bond making? above is what the MS said, so it's kind of near the C but just next to it and not going into it... ? never knew how to do these properly haha

The first arrow goes from the lone pair of electrons in the carbon atom of the CN- ion directly to the carbon. The next arrow goes from the double bond to the oxygen atom.

Page 9 of the A2 revision guide should show this clearly :smile:
Reply 70
The first arrow goes from the lone pair of electrons in the carbon atom of the CN- ion directly to the carbon. The next arrow goes from the double bond to the oxygen atom.

Page 9 of the A2 revision guide should show this clearly :smile:

awesome thanks - yeah I see :smile:
Reply 71
Just checking is the steel making process in the new syllabus?
Reply 72
I've looked on the Jan 2013 F334 forum and loads of people did badly in it. Why did so many people do badly on that exam??? I didn't do it in January but I've just done it as a mock and I got 77/90. Were those of you who didn't get the grade you want not ready for the exam or was it lack of preparation?
Reply 73
Original post by Jlane5000
Just checking is the steel making process in the new syllabus?

Nope :smile:

Original post by Aimee18
I've looked on the Jan 2013 F334 forum and loads of people did badly in it. Why did so many people do badly on that exam??? I didn't do it in January but I've just done it as a mock and I got 77/90. Were those of you who didn't get the grade you want not ready for the exam or was it lack of preparation?

The grade boundaries went up by a ridiculous amount. Here was the pattern before Jan 2013 for an A grade, 65,64,63,68,63,63... Then all of a sudden it went up to 71. The general consensus after the exam was that it was by no means the easiest F334 paper; perhaps it merited around 67-68 maximum for an A. Thus, everyone's grades more or less went down one.

Plus, exam pressure plays a crucial role for many when doing Salters Chemistry tbh. The general wording and "synoptic" elements of that paper did throw back a lot of people. When we look back at a paper, it always seems easier. I still don't see why that paper warranted such a hike in the grade boundaries. :smile:
Reply 74
Nope :smile:

The grade boundaries went up by a ridiculous amount. Here was the pattern before Jan 2013 for an A grade, 65,64,63,68,63,63... Then all of a sudden it went up to 71. The general consensus after the exam was that it was by no means the easiest F334 paper; perhaps it merited around 67-68 maximum for an A. Thus, everyone's grades more or less went down one.

Plus, exam pressure plays a crucial role for many when doing Salters Chemistry tbh. The general wording and "synoptic" elements of that paper did throw back a lot of people. When we look back at a paper, it always seems easier. I still don't see why that paper warranted such a hike in the grade boundaries. :smile:

And yeah my thoughts exactly with regards to F334 in Jan, I did more than enough prep and got a B when it should have been an A going by past grade boundaries. Doing a mock in the comforts of your own home and sitting in an exam hall with exam nerves/pressure are not really comparable situations :rolleyes:
Reply 75

And yeah my thoughts exactly with regards to F334 in Jan, I did more than enough prep and got a B when it should have been an A going by past grade boundaries. Doing a mock in the comforts of your own home and sitting in an exam hall with exam nerves/pressure are not really comparable situations :rolleyes:

Yup, so true! I got 65 raw marks, which would've been scraping an A 5 out of 6 times before 2013. It would've relieved so much pressure tbh for F335. The examiners' report mentioned that the overall majority seemed to be really well prepared, so perhaps many did do well tbh.

I've given up trying to handle nerves; they always seem to get the better of me, especially in the weird world of Salters Chemistry :tongue:
Reply 76
Yup, so true! I got 65 raw marks, which would've been scraping an A 5 out of 6 times before 2013. It would've relieved so much pressure tbh for F335. The examiners' report mentioned that the overall majority seemed to be really well prepared, so perhaps many did do well tbh.

I've given up trying to handle nerves; they always seem to get the better of me, especially in the weird world of Salters Chemistry :tongue:

I always feel the pressure, I end up doubting myself on even the most simple things that I know inside out when in the exam. I wish F335 had been a little kinder and less heavy on the calculations, but for me the pressure is now on with this one to pick up some of the slack for F335. Some of it was ridiculously easy and some was a bit harsh *cough iodine number* :colondollar: How did you find F335?
Reply 77
I always feel the pressure, I end up doubting myself on even the most simple things that I know inside out when in the exam. I wish F335 had been a little kinder and less heavy on the calculations, but for me the pressure is now on with this one to pick up some of the slack for F335. Some of it was ridiculously easy and some was a bit harsh *cough iodine number* :colondollar: How did you find F335?

I counted the calculation questions (most of which I knew I got wrong) and it was a max of 20 marks if you messed up all the calculations, which made me feel a bit better :P

Can anyone help me with Jun10 2a? I don't really understand what happens :frown:
Reply 78

Yeah, that's how I exactly feel! Totally agree regarding F335; some of those calculation questions were so challenging, especially that Iodine number. What a beast of a question that was. I think it was though, F335 average, like you said there was some wonderful bits (Q3 and Q4), but likewise some awful parts; so I'm guessing average boundaries. I'm just worrying over silly errors tbh :frown:

What's worse is that F334 has the lower weighting, so we have to do really, really well on this tbh to offset any lost marks in F335. Oh well, just gotta try and aim for the best! :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by Tikara
Can anyone help me with Jun10 2a? I don't really understand what happens :frown:

Cheeky OCR question. It's a reaction between a metal and an acid. General equation for such reactions are:

metal + acid salt + hydrogen

See if you can work it out from there :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending