The Student Room Group

AQA A2 RST3A and RST4A - 6th June + 14th June respectively

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onemore
Essentially yes, though its relevance may be diminished on other sides of the syllabus.

Thanks, was going to use them if a question comes up about afterlife, because it cannot be verified it's not meaningful to discuss
Original post by CoolCat94
Thanks, was going to use them if a question comes up about afterlife, because it cannot be verified it's not meaningful to discuss

Can we counter argue the fact that it can't be verified with the fact that if the afterlife is a non-physical place then it will be incompatible with scientific methods? So it makes sense that there's no evidence but lack of evidence doesn't have to mean it doesn't exist?
Original post by hungryatafuneral
Can we counter argue the fact that it can't be verified with the fact that if the afterlife is a non-physical place then it will be incompatible with scientific methods? So it makes sense that there's no evidence but lack of evidence doesn't have to mean it doesn't exist?

Of course, you can counter argue anything which makes sense and is relevant
Original post by CoolCat94
Of course, you can counter argue anything which makes sense and is relevant

Great, thank you. Just checking :smile:
Reply 124
Really hope eschatology/apocalyptic teachings come up! :biggrin:
Reply 125
can someone please explain to me the principle of crudity and testimony by Swinburne please?
Reply 126
The chances of them repeating the same topics as last year is incredibly low right? because I haven't gone over death and beyond / human nature and value

:redface:
Reply 127
Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 128
any one got idea about what the 45 marker potentially might be on religious experience hmm?
Reply 129
Original post by Aamna01
can someone please explain to me the principle of crudity and testimony by Swinburne please?

Testimony- believing people in the absence of evidence
Credulity- is X seems present then X probably is present

Basically, they are used by Swinburne in order to verify RE's.
Puts a lot of faith in humanity essentially
Well that wasn't too bad.

Christianity views of stewardship and dominion
Augustine's view that humans are just in existence to be punished for Adams sin
Ireneaus' view that humans were not create perfectly but have the potential to develop in the light of evil
Islam's devotion to completing the 5 pillars.
Hindu's attempt to achieve moksha.

Just used Darwin and Dawkins as my secular points.

And I just poured my heart out in the 30 marker as religion takes the shine off the present life.

On the whole not a bad question at all
Great paper. For the Life, Death, Beyond section I would have preferred if the death question was about death and beyond, death by itself was too vague hence why I picked nature.

Time really flies in that exam, doesn't it? Was quite disheartened that I couldn't write everything in my plan and I am worried my language was a little bit too informal at the end when I was rushing.

But good luck everybody - would love to hear your results when August comes.

Bless
Reply 132
I thought that was a really good paper - I did the one on nature of life. For the religious bit on the first question, I talked about Christianity - how man was created, how humanity was imperfect (Augustine and Irenaeus) and the idea that man can redeem themselves. I also talked a bit about the dualistic nature but not sure if that was relevant. I talked about Islam and Buddhism there. For the secular bit, talked about existentialism, humanism, marxism, nihilism, altruism, hedonism and materialism - pretty much all the -isms.

Second bit - initially thought it was difficult but as I got into the swing of things it was okay. I wrote that religious beliefs were more positive in terms of the afterlife (that there was a Heaven and Hell) - I did write more but I've completely forgotten what, despite the exam being only a few hours ago.

Prayed for the nature question to come up and it did - I'm happy with that. Hope you guys did well too!
Reply 133
Paper was decent, was hoping for eschatology/present life. ^^

How much raw marks are needed for an A at A2?

I got 188/200 UMS for AS
Reply 134
How did people find the Religious Experience questions? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 135
Original post by ghowell13
How did people find the Religious Experience questions? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found 09 pretty hard could only write 3 pages 10 I wrote 4
Reply 136
Original post by yaboy
I found 09 pretty hard could only write 3 pages 10 I wrote 4

Yeah, the 30 marker for 10 was amazing, but I did 11 and 12 as the 45 marker was good. 30 marker less so but used examples etc so...fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone do the Perspectives of the Ultimate Reality section? The questions were okay. I didn't answer the religious language question as I hadn't revised it much.
Original post by TooMuchG
Paper was decent, was hoping for eschatology/present life. ^^

How much raw marks are needed for an A at A2?

I got 188/200 UMS for AS

Around 61/75 for RST4A and 80/100 for RST3A
Original post by tsundre1
I thought that was a really good paper - I did the one on nature of life. For the religious bit on the first question, I talked about Christianity - how man was created, how humanity was imperfect (Augustine and Irenaeus) and the idea that man can redeem themselves. I also talked a bit about the dualistic nature but not sure if that was relevant. I talked about Islam and Buddhism there. For the secular bit, talked about existentialism, humanism, marxism, nihilism, altruism, hedonism and materialism - pretty much all the -isms.

Second bit - initially thought it was difficult but as I got into the swing of things it was okay. I wrote that religious beliefs were more positive in terms of the afterlife (that there was a Heaven and Hell) - I did write more but I've completely forgotten what, despite the exam being only a few hours ago.

Prayed for the nature question to come up and it did - I'm happy with that. Hope you guys did well too!

I did Islam and Christianity for religion and then Immanuel Kant, Dawkins, Socrates, Thomas Hobbes for secular... hope that I wrote enough quality information I managed to get about 5 pages.

For second question I managed to do 5 pages too, I said that religious and secular persepectives on human life were balanced, and questioned if they were talking about nature or value, that religion is more positive about value (secular I said eugenics and stuff were negative) and then I said for nature that secular was a bit more positive because there's original sin and in buddhism life is marked by suffering... I really hope i get the A. Last year when I sat this paper I manged a mid B and didn't finish so this should be cool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending