The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Physics P4P5P6 - 18/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zippyzazu
i agree with you!! p6 is fairly simple, the only thing i can't seem to understand is the bridge rectifier circuit :confused: going to go over that on monday night and just hope it sticks in my head!! yeah same, i have no idea about projectiles, but hopefully it won't be worth a lot of marks, since the 6 marker in the specimen was about trajectory etc :biggrin::redface:

yesss hopefully! find it really hard to imagine what the 6 markers will be :s-smilie:

and bridge rectifier circuit all ya need to know is that by having 4 diodes it's producing full wave rectification because when AC voltage comes out the negative side of the power supply during the negative half of the AC cycle instead of going to the negative terminal of your device ( which is useless because we need a positive voltage in our electricals) It goes to the positive terminal because of the way the diodes are placed in the circuit and therefore turns the negative voltage across the device to positive :smile: haha hope that helped, it helped me trying to explain it :P
Reply 141
Is it just me who cba to revise for this exam....but i am because i need to ...im not in the mood ...:confused:
Original post by ryanb97
Is it just me who cba to revise for this exam....but i am because i need to ...im not in the mood ...:confused:

I've been feeling the same (probably due to having 6 exams this week) but I will start revising more...Now. :tongue:
According to my school, they think the grade boundaries for all the coursework pieces are the following:

A* - 42 marks
A - 38 marks
B - 33 marks
C - 25 marks
D + lower - Below 25 marks
Original post by MrMusicLTD
According to my school, they think the grade boundaries for all the coursework pieces are the following:

A* - 42 marks
A - 38 marks
B - 33 marks
C - 25 marks
Wait, so the official grade boundaries haven't actually been set? When will they set it?
Original post by DeadUnicorn
Wait, so the official grade boundaries haven't actually been set? When will they set it?

After everyone has been marked

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, as the coursework grade boundaries are set after they have been moderated by an examiner. So, in effect, we'll only find out the coursework grade boundaries after we get our results in August.

However, the person leading the OCR coursework training day, which my teacher attended, said that schools should expect those marks to roughly equal to those grades. She said that at most, the A* could go up by a mark, so 43 marks; an A could go up by 2 marks, so 40 marks; and so on and so forth.

Summarised:

What schools SHOULD expect:

A* - 42 marks
A - 38 marks
B - 33 marks
C - 25 marks

At most/Highest grade boundaries:

A* - 43 marks
A - 40 marks
B - 35 marks
C - 27 marks
D + lower - Below 27 marks
Surely, it's more likely that the coursework grade boundaries will go down because I was told that although some schools marked leniently, moderation caused these marks to go down making it difficult to get an A* ..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NatashaG
yesss hopefully! find it really hard to imagine what the 6 markers will be :s-smilie:

and bridge rectifier circuit all ya need to know is that by having 4 diodes it's producing full wave rectification because when AC voltage comes out the negative side of the power supply during the negative half of the AC cycle instead of going to the negative terminal of your device ( which is useless because we need a positive voltage in our electricals) It goes to the positive terminal because of the way the diodes are placed in the circuit and therefore turns the negative voltage across the device to positive :smile: haha hope that helped, it helped me trying to explain it :P

ah thank you!! :smile: that makes sense, it's just i find it hard to remember lol :tongue: hopefully it won't be worth a lot of marks if it comes up :colondollar:
Original post by MrMusicLTD
Nope, as the coursework grade boundaries are set after they have been moderated by an examiner. So, in effect, we'll only find out the coursework grade boundaries after we get our results in August.

However, the person leading the OCR coursework training day, which my teacher attended, said that schools should expect those marks to roughly equal to those grades. She said that at most, the A* could go up by a mark, so 43 marks; an A could go up by 2 marks, so 40 marks; and so on and so forth.

Summarised:

What schools SHOULD expect:

A* - 42 marks
A - 38 marks
B - 33 marks
C - 25 marks

At most/Highest grade boundaries:

A* - 43 marks
A - 40 marks
B - 35 marks
C - 27 marks
D + lower - Below 27 marks

Thanks for this info, but from what I here from my school and others too is that very few people got high grades, so do you think there's a chance it'll go down instead of up?
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Surely, it's more likely that the coursework grade boundaries will go down because I was told that although some schools marked leniently, moderation caused these marks to go down making it difficult to get an A* ..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I'm hoping for, how did you find the chemistry coursework?
Reply 151
Hey guys
This is my last exam paper woop woop! Anyone else finding it difficult to revise for this? Does anyone have any revision tips especially for P6 which I find difficult? If so I'd love to hear your advice. Cheers
Reply 152
Could someone with the CGP revision guide explain what it means on page 107 when it says "Relatively low resistance, so very small voltage drop". It's in the green box next to the thermistor diagram.
Original post by Ani97
Hey guys
This is my last exam paper woop woop! Anyone else finding it difficult to revise for this? Does anyone have any revision tips especially for P6 which I find difficult? If so I'd love to hear your advice. Cheers

For P6 you get the equations so it's only a bit of theory to revise for. Personally i find the resistance graphs for thermistor etc hard to revise, as well as EM induction and transformers.

Personally to revise i put a heading and draw graphs, with notes around it:smile: I find p5/6 are just logical thinking and the equations will be the hardest parts but they give you these in the paper so :smile:

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I'm hoping for, how did you find the chemistry coursework?

I did titrations and managed to achieve a B (despite writing 18 sides of A4 in total, excluding the booklet! :facepalm: ) so I'm most worried about my chemistry grade overall. And yourself? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I did titrations and managed to achieve a B (despite writing 18 sides of A4 in total, excluding the booklet! :facepalm: ) so I'm most worried about my chemistry grade overall. And yourself? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:eek:

I wrote about...

4 for research including bibliography.

8 sides? (actually can't remember...) for the other bits

Plus booklet. But.I used continuation for every questiom

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the thermal runaway one, I can't remember much about it but I remember investing the most time in it and ending up getting a mid C, 31. :mad: I found it the easiest which is strange, the other two I managed to get decent As in which made me feel a little better. I'm putting it down to the Chemistry teacher having a general dislike towards me D;
Reply 157

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a low B too (33). Do you think it's possible for us to get an A* still, if we got good grades in the exams?:confused:
Reply 158
Original post by andersson
I got a low B too (33). Do you think it's possible for us to get an A* still, if we got good grades in the exams?:confused:

I got 34 in chem coursework and 137 in the first exam and I'm quietly confident that I have an A* overall.
Reply 159
Original post by benwalters1996
For P6 you get the equations so it's only a bit of theory to revise for. Personally i find the resistance graphs for thermistor etc hard to revise, as well as EM induction and transformers.

Personally to revise i put a heading and draw graphs, with notes around it:smile: I find p5/6 are just logical thinking and the equations will be the hardest parts but they give you these in the paper so :smile:

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much I really appreciate it!
Good luck to you too!
I don't really mind what I get because I got 46 in the coursework and 140ums in the first physics exam so I think even a low A can get me an A* overall

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending