The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2460
advantages and disadvantages for both in vivo and in vitro gene cloning?? :confused:
Reply 2461
Original post by kiyubi
Can someone plz explain question 4cii after chapter 16 where it says give the sequence of the shortes DNA fragment produced in tube 2 thx

Nvm i'm wrong can someone answer this too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by peebs123
advantages and disadvantages for both in vivo and in vitro gene cloning?? :confused:

In-vivo Cloning:

Advantages:
- Can produce mRNA, proteins and DNA.
- Able to modify the produced proteins/dna/mrna
- Relatively cheap
- Can use large fragments

Disadvantages:
- Slow
- Doesn't produce that much

In-vitro cloning

Advantages:
- Very fast
- Can produce lots of fragments

Disadvantages
- Expensive equipment
- Can only use small fragments
- can only produce DNA.
Reply 2463
Original post by miketree
Nvm i'm wrong can someone answer this too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually i worked it out.

Find the complementary strand of DNA to this sequence and then the shortest strand will be up to the first C in the complementary strand.

because tube 2 has cytosine terminator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2464
How can you determine when fertilisation is most likely to occur? When there is high level of progesterone, so the uterus lining is available for a fertilised egg to be embedded?
Reply 2465
Original post by MLogan
How can you determine when fertilisation is most likely to occur? When there is high level of progesterone, so the uterus lining is available for a fertilised egg to be embedded?

If I'm correct it's when the LH levels are the highest this surge in LH is what causes the developed follicle to release the mature egg. (and another indication is just before LH levels rise considerably you can see the oestrogen levels having reached a critical high level before decreasing).
Reply 2466
Original post by MLogan

Fertilisation must happen after ovulation, so on a graph it'll be shortly after LH peaks, and you know fertilisation has occurred if progesterone is still being released throughout the cycle, if it drops then fertilisation did not occur

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2467
im a bit stuck on transcription and translation... anybody got a bullet point form of what happens that has enough content in that i could learn from? or a decent youtube vid?
Reply 2468
Original post by miketree
Actually i worked it out.

Find the complementary strand of DNA to this sequence and then the shortest strand will be up to the first C in the complementary strand.

because tube 2 has cytosine terminator.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thx so we always find the new strand of DNA right?
Reply 2469
are both primers and the terminator nucleotides labelled for sequencing as in the revision guide it states that the terminator nucleotide is labelled but in the book its the primer which is labelled?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ahmmm
im a bit stuck on transcription and translation... anybody got a bullet point form of what happens that has enough content in that i could learn from? or a decent youtube vid?

Transcription:
- Occurs in the nucleus
- DNA stands are split by hydrogen bonds being broken by DNA helicase
- One of the strands acts as a template
- Individual RNA nucleotides align next to the template according to specific base pairing
- The difference being uracil replaces thymine
- RNA nucleotides are joined together by RNA polymerase
- This creates a strand of pre-MRNA which undergoes splicing (removes introns and joins together exons) and leaves through a nuclear pore to the cytoplasm to attach to a ribosome to undergo translation.

Translation:
- Occurs in a ribosomes in the cytoplasm
-Sequence of codons on mRNA is used to determine the sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide and works by:

- Each tRNA molecule has 3 exposed bases called an anti-codon.
- tRNA with the anticodon complimentary to the first mRNA codon will move towards the mRNA strand bringing along the specific amino acid
- Other tRNA join in order determined by mRNA
- Amino acids join together by peptide bonds which require ATP.
- tRNA then begins to move away, leaving behind the amino acids. It collects another amino acid of the same kind so it can be reused.
- This continues until all codons have been read and it reaches a stop codon, and a specific polypeptide is then produced from the sequence of amino acids.
- The polypeptide then folds into secondary/tertiary structures.

FEel free to ask more if something doesnt make sense
Reply 2471
Original post by ahmmm

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371235327.101590.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1371235336.253619.jpg

Simple revision cards I made for them. Some people say its helicase that breaks the H bonds, this is true in semi-conservative replication but for transcription my textbook just says it starts when RNA polymerase attaches to the DNA, and the H bonds break, doesn't specify helicase so you should be fine with or without it

Hope they help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2472
Original post by Mocking_bird
Transcription:
- Occurs in the nucleus
- DNA stands are split by hydrogen bonds being broken by DNA helicase
- One of the strands acts as a template
- Individual RNA nucleotides align next to the template according to specific base pairing
- The difference being uracil replaces thymine
- RNA nucleotides are joined together by RNA polymerase
- This creates a strand of pre-MRNA which undergoes splicing (removes introns and joins together exons) and leaves through a nuclear pore to the cytoplasm to attach to a ribosome to undergo translation.

Translation:
- Occurs in a ribosomes in the cytoplasm
-Sequence of codons on mRNA is used to determine the sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide and works by:

- Each tRNA molecule has 3 exposed bases called an anti-codon.
- tRNA with the anticodon complimentary to the first mRNA codon will move towards the mRNA strand bringing along the specific amino acid
- Other tRNA join in order determined by mRNA
- Amino acids join together by peptide bonds which require ATP.
- tRNA then begins to move away, leaving behind the amino acids. It collects another amino acid of the same kind so it can be reused.
- This continues until all codons have been read and it reaches a stop codon, and a specific polypeptide is then produced from the sequence of amino acids.
- The polypeptide then folds into secondary/tertiary structures.

FEel free to ask more if something doesnt make sense

is that the bare minimum that needs to be known? theres always extra stuff in textbooks and half the teachers notes never make any sense !! you are a geenius :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 2473
Original post by stoppy123
In-vivo Cloning:

Advantages:
- Can produce mRNA, proteins and DNA.
- Able to modify the produced proteins/dna/mrna
- Relatively cheap
- Can use large fragments

Disadvantages:
- Slow
- Doesn't produce that much

In-vitro cloning

Advantages:
- Very fast
- Can produce lots of fragments

Disadvantages
- Expensive equipment
- Can only use small fragments
- can only produce DNA.

Thanks!!! :biggrin:
Reply 2474
Original post by Ghost95
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371235327.101590.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1371235336.253619.jpg

Simple revision cards I made for them. Some people say its helicase that breaks the H bonds, this is true in semi-conservative replication but for transcription my textbook just says it starts when RNA polymerase attaches to the DNA, and the H bonds break, doesn't specify helicase so you should be fine with or without it

Hope they help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

they're great thanks :biggrin:
Original post by ahmmm
is that the bare minimum that needs to be known? theres always extra stuff in textbooks and half the teachers notes never make any sense !! you are a geenius :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This is from my class notes :smile:

Textbooks just waffle on sometimes so :P
I've taken 2 past papers, got 52/75 and then 61/75 without the essays. If I did like a low-average score essay would this be enough to get me an A? I've barely revised at all for the essay :/
Reply 2477
Original post by SusieShire
I've taken 2 past papers, got 52/75 and then 61/75 without the essays. If I did like a low-average score essay would this be enough to get me an A? I've barely revised at all for the essay :/

same for the essay, and barely revised the other stuff too! was too butt hurt over psychology :|
Reply 2478
Original post by SusieShire

Not sure if 52 would be an A but 61 is definitely an A. Don't worry too much about the essay, seriously everyone does crap on it, the average mark is like 11/12 out of 25.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2479
Original post by Mocking_bird
This is from my class notes :smile:

Textbooks just waffle on sometimes so :P

is your principal ms hunter by any chance?

Latest

Trending

Trending