The Student Room Group

Reading Festival- what to pack?

Hi, its my first time experiencing a festival and I was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the things to pack or any essentials I will be needing please :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Babywipes, Socks, Deodrant, a comb, Chewing gum and mouthwash, spare shoes and clothes you dont care about too much.

Those are essentials. Everything else are bonuses.
I don't bring anything because #YOLO
Reply 3
If your driving there, anything you can fit in the car. Fold-up chairs, tables, camping stuff. NOT Gas Stoves though because the gas bottles are illegal on site. Wellies + towel too
This is what loads of people will be packing - drugs condoms etc. So just be aware.

But I wouldn't just the essentials tbh :biggrin: We brought speakers as well don't know why though.
Fold up chairs are worth more then gold. Look after them well. Ours were stolen after the 2nd night :'(
Reply 6
Original post by Bellaaaa
Hi, its my first time experiencing a festival and I was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the things to pack or any essentials I will be needing please :smile:

Hand sanitiser

Loo roll

Torch

Wet wipes

Towel and flip flops if planning to shower

Food and snacks as it is incredibly expensive there so some supplies like crisps and biscuits at least might be good...pot noodles etc. Festivals typically charge £6 per meal and £2.50 for water

Water carrier

Small solid fuel stove and kettle and a cup...and a lighter

Toothbrush and toothpaste

Sunblock, maybe a hat

Waterproof clothing ie poncho

Fold up stool, chair or mat

Cheap or old mobile phone as smartphones will die on their arses

Wellies or walking boots

Spare plastic bags to put rubbish or dirty things in

Kitchen sink...not really

That is what I usually take along with obvious such as clothing and a tent. But anything you forget you can probably buy on site but it will be more costly.
If I were you I wouldn't bring anything you cared about too much. Last year someone went into my tent and stole all of my socks haha. Bring lots of loo roll and keep a close eye on it as that is likely to get nicked along with camping chairs (you would be really lucky to bring one of those back home again!).
The food there is incredibly expensive so I'd advise either bringing your own or walking down to the sainsburys and buying it from there. Bring a large 1.5 ltr bottle of water that you can keep refilling up instead of having to buy a new bottle everytime.

For clothing I bought t shirts and shorts and a hoodie for each day and then for the evening when it got really cold I had 2 pairs of leggings and 2 pairs of fleecy pajama bottoms from primark. I took a duvet last year instead of a sleeping bag and I ended up making loads of friends sitting outside with it as people walking past would come and sit down and have a chat. It's up to you what you bring though.

Regarding toiletries, I bought dry shampoo (didn't want to go in manky festival showers but could have also walked to the sports centre), travel sized tooth paste, tons of baby wipes, a small tooth brush, deodrant, hand sanitizer, hayfever tablets and tiger balm

Have fun :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
bring a disposable BBQ or 2 really a life saver some of the stuff people forget usually are things likeMedcines (aspirin, anti diarrhea things) make sure you have these if you have them you won't need them but if you don't you can be sure you will.
Reply 9
You don't need a lot, if you think you can live without it don't take it. I can't tell you how awesome having a light backpack is, the walk into and out of the campsite is a bitch with all your stuff, even more so if it's heavy.

I wouldn't bother taking food or drink, just go to Tesco or Sainsbury's after setting up camp. Babywipes are useful to have. And if you can carry a folding chair then you'll reap the rewards once you're there, it kills your back after a while sitting on the floor, and sucks when it's wet.

Other things i'd recommend, wellies, paracetamol, a waterproof coat and something to keep your valuables in. If you don't want to carry a bag and don't have zip pockets, you can get belts that strap around your waist and tuck under your shirt/trousers so that they aren't visible, you can buy them in outdoor/camping shops and they're perfect for festivals. Like a bumbag, but nobody can see it.
I tend to go minimal to festivals, as usually on a train. But, bet addition to the lists above is something to smuggle booze into the arena with. I don't know how much stricter they are these days, but 7 years ago when I last went, a hip flask hidden in an ample bosom was a good plan of attack. And weed in a tin in your shoe.

Oh, and if you must take a phone, get and old one. Not only will it probably get dropped/lost/nicked, but the batteries in the old ones last much longer. I first went to reading when I was 17, now 11 (!) years ago, and my 3310 lasted all five days on one charge, just turning it off at night.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Bellaaaa

A few good novels? It is a READING festival after all...
Does breaking into unattended tents happen a lot? How does one prevent it? I've heard padlocks are a bad idea...
Reply 13
Original post by Mendingteeth
Does breaking into unattended tents happen a lot? How does one prevent it? I've heard padlocks are a bad idea...

Been to a fair share of festivals in my time and I've been never been broken into luckily.. If I was you I'd just remove everything valuable from your tent before you leave
Original post by Mendingteeth

Sometimes. Essentially, you can't avoid it but you can avoid it mattering by not leaving valuables in the tent, by not padlocking your tent (says 'hey thief, here's some stuff to steal') and by leaving your tent in a bit of a mess so it's hard to find stuff - if you pack it all away tidily in your bag they're just going to take that.
My first time at Leeds last year was an absolute killer, mainly because I overpacked, it didn't help that I hadn't had any sleep as I needed to get the train at like 3 to get a camping spot near the arena, silly me :rolleyes:

Anyway, just as long as you pack the essentials like deodorant, wet wipes, wellies, tent and some clothes then you'll be fine. As already mentioned the walk in is a bitch if you're packing heavy.
Reply 16
Thank you everyone!!
Reply 17
What's showering like at the festival? My friends told me there are massive queues to them.
Reply 18
Original post by Luppy021
What's showering like at the festival? My friends told me there are massive queues to them.

heard its gross! most my friends come home quickly for a shower, but theres a sports centre just outside town where you could showers if you need
Original post by Luppy021

I just accept that I'm not going to be able to have a shower for a few days *shrug*.

Quick Reply

Latest