The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

3 exams left. I can almost taste the freedom. We can do this.
Reply 1161
Original post by alongcamelucy
How is everyone learning all the transition metal colours / substitution reactions etc? Any tips?

I'm just staring at a piece of paper with them all on and hoping they go in.

I'm trying to make little things to help me like
Copper is mostly blue
Fe2+ is always green
CoCO3 it's like CoCO chanel, which is girly so pink
For Co3+ it's brown/dark brown
For all of Cr3+ it's green except for NH3 which is purple. Idk why but I always think NH3 sounds posh and like purple is a regal colour. Idek why :tongue:
Cr6+ is orange/yellow and like in the map I've drawn they're at the top like the sun, then Cr2+ is at the bottom which is blue like the sea

After typing this out I have realised how ****ing weird I am :tongue:
Hey guys pretty confused on 7bii of the jan 11 paper, were told h202 is reduced to OH- ions, therefore the cr3+ ions have been oxidised to cr+6 but i dont understand how you find the 2nd half equation, is it because you balance the 3e-s on the right first to deal with the oxidation state change then balance the charges by adding OH- to the left then the h2o's on the right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1164
Original post by poopnoddy
Hey guys pretty confused on 7bii of the jan 11 paper, were told h202 is reduced to OH- ions, therefore the cr3+ ions have been oxidised to cr+6 but i dont understand how you find the 2nd half equation, is it because you balance the 3e-s on the right first to deal with the oxidation state change then balance the charges by adding OH- to the left then the h2o's on the right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure which half equation you're on about, but I'd just do it like this

H2O2 + 2e- \rightarrow 2OH-
[Cr(OH)6]3- \rightarrow CrO42- + 2H2O + 2H+ + 3e-

Then combine them:
2[Cr(OH)6]3- + 3H2O2 \rightarrow 2CrO42- + 4H2O + 4H+ + 6OH-

The four H+ ions combine with four of the OH- ions, meaning the equation can be simplified to:
2[Cr(OH)6]3- + 3H2O2 \rightarrow 2CrO42- + 8H2O + 2OH-
I keep reading Cu/Co/Cr wrong in practice questions and getting them mixed up. Time to call it a day with revision I think.
Reply 1166
You know for the june 2012 calculation...I'm getting more than 100%
I'm going to cry
K bye
Original post by loknath
I'm going to cry
K bye

I think the answer is right though, it was an examiner's cockup. Or something like that. Either way a lot of people were WTFing at that last year.
Reply 1168
Original post by loknath
I'm going to cry
K bye

Your ratio from part i is probably wrong. The mark scheme says a ratio of 3:7 or 2:5 can give an answer of more than 100%. You still get full marks for part ii though because its error carried forward :smile:
Reply 1169
Original post by failingatm
I think the answer is right though, it was an examiner's cockup. Or something like that. Either way a lot of people were WTFing at that last year.

No the right answer was 93.4% but they do accept loads of different answers so you could be right about some sort of cockup :confused:
Original post by crc290
No the right answer was 93.4% but they do accept loads of different answers so you could be right about some sort of cockup :confused:

Ahh right. Well I just remember people coming out of the exam all going on about the answer being more than 100%

I know last years paper wasnt very popular after the exam
Reply 1171
Original post by failingatm
Ahh right. Well I just remember people coming out of the exam all going on about the answer being more than 100%

I know last years paper wasnt very popular after the exam

It was a weird question. I've never seen one on any other past paper where you have to combine 3 half equations, so I guess the examiners were giving people the benefit of the doubt
Reply 1172
Original post by crc290
It was a weird question. I've never seen one on any other past paper where you have to combine 3 half equations, so I guess the examiners were giving people the benefit of the doubt

I HAD A 2:5 RATIO
NO JOKE THIS IS THE HAPPIEST IVE BEEN ALL DAY
high on coffee sorry
I think I just ate dog treat no it was a chocolate button
I'm going mental. Dayum.
Reply 1173
Original post by loknath
I HAD A 2:5 RATIO
NO JOKE THIS IS THE HAPPIEST IVE BEEN ALL DAY
high on coffee sorry
I think I just ate dog treat no it was a chocolate button
I'm going mental. Dayum.

:laugh:

Well I bet you're glad you'd only lose 1 mark and not 6

The actual ratio is 3:5 though...
Original post by crc290
:laugh:

Well I bet you're glad you'd only lose 1 mark and not 6

The actual ratio is 3:5 though...

I'm confused? What's with the 2:5 thing? Is it do do with carry over marks? I.E you only lose the accuracy mark? Because I don't see where the cock-up is :s-smilie:
Original post by frogs r everywhere
3 exams left. I can almost taste the freedom. We can do this.

what exams have you done already and how did they go?
Original post by loknath
I'm going to cry
K bye

Aqa made an error on that paper. Do not use the mole ratio they provide. It's 3:5, not 3:7.
Anyone else struggling to focus on chem with bio coming up?
Original post by Chris-69
I'm confused? What's with the 2:5 thing? Is it do do with carry over marks? I.E you only lose the accuracy mark? Because I don't see where the cock-up is :s-smilie:

Aqa cocked up. They provided an incorrect mole ratio. Cause they are so clever they did not bother to check.
Reply 1179
Original post by SexyAndIKnowIt.
Do we have to know about silver/ silver chloride, calomel, zinc/ carbon and lithium ion electrodes or do we just have to know them as examples of whatever.
If so - what are they all used for,, don't know anything on the above 4 electrodes so if we have to know anything about them, I would appreciate some guidance thanks x

You might have already got your answer but in my notes I have this section (attached also):

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending