The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5100
what is success worth in terms of revenue though? Being champion rather than 2nd might get you 30million extra from prize money/sponsorship so rvp paid for his transfer fee in one season. We would have to win the league every year for 5 years without any other transfers to justify the purchase of ronaldo. Would prefer bale, if we bought him now and sold him in 5 years we would probably break even so his transfer is 0 in the long term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cheetahs56
For the 2nd best player in the world who will guarentee success for the next 4 years that is a bargain. Take RVP for an example.... :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

24m for RVP was excessive for a 29 year old in jury prone player. I can walk into a BMW showroom tomorroe and buy a 5-series for 100,000. I'd get an amazing car but can I say I got a bargain? Of course not.

RVP is at the ass end of his peak.
Original post by cheetahs56
For the 2nd best player in the world who will guarentee success for the next 4 years that is a bargain. Take RVP for an example.... :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

24m for RVP was excessive for a 29 year old injury prone player. I can walk into a BMW showroom tomorrow and buy a 5-series for 100,000. I'd get an amazing car but can I say I got a bargain? Of course not.
Reply 5103
Original post by Brainiac
what is success worth in terms of revenue though? Being champion rather than 2nd might get you 30million extra from prize money/sponsorship so rvp paid for his transfer fee in one season. We would have to win the league every year for 5 years without any other transfers to justify the purchase of ronaldo. Would prefer bale, if we bought him now and sold him in 5 years we would probably break even so his transfer is 0 in the long term.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's such an arsenal way of thinking..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really understand your maths... Winning the league gets us 30m, if Ronaldo costs 50-75m that's 2 or 3 league wins, where is 5 coming from?
Original post by Zürich
24m for RVP was excessive for a 29 year old injury prone player. I can walk into a BMW showroom tomorrow and buy a 5-series for 100,000. I'd get an amazing car but can I say I got a bargain? Of course not.

If that BMW earns you back more than you paid for it, then yes of course you can say it's a bargain.
Original post by manchesterunited15
If that BMW earns you back more than you paid for it, then yes of course you can say it's a bargain.

Explain how RVP earned you 24m(and 250k every week) ? Given that 2012/13 was by far the weakest in EPL memory,
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Explain how RVP earned you 24m ? Given that 2012/13 was by far the weakest in EPL memory,

Silly question, he's only played a quarter of his contract.
Silly question, he's only played a quarter of his contract.

Yes bruv, when RVP is 33 and earning 250k/week, you'll be laughing innit.

Fergie overpaid for RVP, because he knew it was his last chance. Unfortunately, RVP was as useful in a CL knock out, as an oyster card on Christmas Day.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

Fergie overpaid for RVP, because he knew it was his last chance. Unfortunately, RVP was as useful in a CL knock out, as an oyster card on Christmas Day. Enjoy RVP's twilight....he deserves to see his career out in Manchester. :rolleyes:

Original post by Zürich

Fergie overpaid for RVP, because he knew it was his last chance. Unfortunately, RVP was as useful in a CL knock out, as an oyster card on Christmas Day. Enjoy RVP's twilight....he deserves to see his career out in Manchester. :rolleyes:

Because 33 year olds are useless, and Zanetti was not 37 when he scored in the Champions League, Zidane was not 34 when he scored in the world cup final and Giggs was definitely not 35 when he was player of the year
Reply 5111
Original post by Zürich

I don't understand how you think RVP was not worth 24mill. He was a bargain, especially compared to signings so far this summer!
Original post by Mr.Guy
I don't understand how you think RVP was not worth 24mill. He was a bargain, especially compared to signings so far this summer!

You have paid roughly 12m in wages since he joined(you will be paying 1m/month when RVP is 33). not Including the 24m transfer fee, for a player imminently turning 30, then I have to ask how you dont think you overpaid. 36M so far and counting...

You could have signed Chamakh and still won the league, considering the pathetic quality of the competition, but in the CL RVP went missing(as he normally did for Arsenal). Go figure.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5113
Original post by Alexlowe-lauri
agree with jam so much. People are s retarded when it comes to David moyes. We want a manager like him who won't think he is bigger than the club (mourinho). Moyes will be great

Fergie was arguably as big as the club and that didn't turn out too badly? I'm looking forward to seeing what Moyes does but since Mourinho has come out and said he wants this spell in England to be a long one that can't be used as a reason for not having him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I linked to on the other page, Madrid made their investment back in shirts and merchandise alone in a couple of seasons.

Original post by Zürich
Explain how RVP earned you 24m(and 250k every week) ? Given that 2012/13 was by far the weakest in EPL memory,

What are people basing this on? That we won it by a mile and that the English teams when out of Europe earlier than usual? That doesn't indicate it was the weakest in memory, now and again teams will go out and earlier and we beat who was put in-front of us.

Original post by Zürich
You have paid roughly 12m in wages since he joined(you will be paying 1m/month when RVP is 33). not Including the 24m transfer fee, for a player imminently turning 30, then I have to ask how you dont think you overpaid. 36M so far and counting...

You could have signed Chamakh and still won the league, considering the pathetic quality of the competition, but in the CL RVP went missing(as he normally did for Arsenal). Go figure.

He scored 3 goals in the group stage, sure he didn't score against Madrid and didn't play amazingly in those 2 matches and for most we were playing extremely defensively, that doesn't make him a flop.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2289560
/Manchester-Uniteds-Robin-Van-Persie-tops-shirt-sales-ahead-Wayne-Roney-Steven-Gerrard-Luis-Suarez.html

I have no clue how many shirts that is but I am sure it has made a considerable dent in what we paid for him.
Original post by Idle

He scored 3 goals in the group stage, sure he didn't score against Madrid and didn't play amazingly in those 2 matches and for most we were playing extremely defensively, that doesn't make him a flop.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2289560
/Manchester-Uniteds-Robin-Van-Persie-tops-shirt-sales-ahead-Wayne-Roney-Steven-Gerrard-Luis-Suarez.html

I have no clue how many shirts that is but I am sure it has made a considerable dent in what we paid for him.

RVP was infamously poor in the CL for Arsenal. Just google it or something. For Utd he's been equally terrible.

Not to mention that RVP has been **** at international tournaments for Holland(WC2010 was so so poor). I'm half-Dutch, and honestly, Huntelaar has the reputation as the big game player for Holland.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5115
Original post by Zürich
RVP was infamously poor in the CL for Arsenal. Just google it or something. For Utd he's been equally terrible.

Not to mention that RVP has been **** at international tournaments for Holland(WC2010 was so so poor). I'm half-Dutch, and honestly, Huntelaar has the reputation as the big game player for Holland.

He has not been 'terrible' for us and it's only been 1 season either way, he scored our 2 goals vs Cluj and brought us level against Braga with 10 minutes to go where we went on to win. Vs Madrid he wasn't brilliant but then again we set behind the ball most of the games so what did we expect?
Original post by Zürich

Yeah and Rooney was not worth £30m because he's been terrible for England, oh wait it's completely irrelevant
Yeah and Rooney was not worth £30m because he's been terrible for England, oh wait it's completely irrelevant

Champions League, Euros, World Cup...

Yeah, all the irrelevant stuff. But 1m/month for a 30 year old dont buy what it used to...
Original post by Zürich
Champions League, Euros, World Cup...

Yeah, all the irrelevant stuff. But 1m/month for a 30 year old dont buy what it used to...

Clearly champions league is not irrelevant to United, but international is. Like I said.

30 is not that old nowadays
Clearly champions league is not irrelevant to United, but international is. Like I said.

30 is not that old nowadays

Yes mate 1M/month for a 30-33 year old is normal.

Latest