The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5120
Original post by Zürich
Yes mate 1M/month for a 30-33 year old is normal.

Yeah it is if you want the best in the world, or to keep on to the best in the world (something Arsenal could learn from.)

Ibrahimović was on that at Milan and on more now. RVP's on a contract to 33, that should be when he starts to decline, he's still in his prime.
Reply 5121
Original post by Jamiesonn

To be fair mate United have won leagues and got to champions league finals without having the best midfield. Now imagine if we were able to sign a top class midfielder capable of keeping calm on the ball and performing well under pressure?
Reply 5122
We've also been heavily linked with Thiago Alcantara who I think is now likely to join. He is a tremendous talent and he'd add much needed technical quality in to our midfield

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Idle
Fergie was arguably as big as the club and that didn't turn out too badly? I'm looking forward to seeing what Moyes does but since Mourinho has come out and said he wants this spell in England to be a long one that can't be used as a reason for not having him.

As I linked to on the other page, Madrid made their investment back in shirts and merchandise alone in a couple of seasons.

What are people basing this on? That we won it by a mile and that the English teams when out of Europe earlier than usual? That doesn't indicate it was the weakest in memory, now and again teams will go out and earlier and we beat who was put in-front of us.

He scored 3 goals in the group stage, sure he didn't score against Madrid and didn't play amazingly in those 2 matches and for most we were playing extremely defensively, that doesn't make him a flop.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2289560
/Manchester-Uniteds-Robin-Van-Persie-tops-shirt-sales-ahead-Wayne-Roney-Steven-Gerrard-Luis-Suarez.html

I have no clue how many shirts that is but I am sure it has made a considerable dent in what we paid for him.

I'm pretty sure fergie wasn't as big as the club when he first started
wish the speculation would stop, we won't sign anyone till July people! Moyes isn't even in charge properly till then so at best we will see more young players who the scouts recommend like Valera...Moyes will decide who we bring in come July, so I don't expect any big signings for us till at least mid-July as he takes time to get in to the job.
Reply 5125
The worst piece of criticism on Sir Alex I have seen in a long time: http://www.givemesport.com/350990-did-sir-alex-ferguson-retire-a-coward

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5126
Would fans take Modric/Fabregas as a replacement for Rooney this summer, or would you expect a signing of someone like Ronaldo/Bale. I think Bale is priced way to high for us to go for him, especially if Madrid want to pay £85 mil when we would offer a maximum of £55mil, Ronaldo is more likely to sign a new contract or wait one year if he wants to return to us, because again don't see us paying over 60mil.
Who is everyones first choice AM Rooney or Kagawa?
Reply 5127
Original post by rohitbd
Would fans take Modric/Fabregas as a replacement for Rooney this summer, or would you expect a signing of someone like Ronaldo/Bale. I think Bale is priced way to high for us to go for him, especially if Madrid want to pay £85 mil when we would offer a maximum of £55mil, Ronaldo is more likely to sign a new contract or wait one year if he wants to return to us, because again don't see us paying over 60mil.
Who is everyones first choice AM Rooney or Kagawa?

The signings we make are highly dependent on the sort of formation Moyes wants to deploy. If he wants a 4-4-2 we shouldn't let Rooney go. If he wants to keep just one up-front, as AM I'd choose Kagawa over Rooney.

Carrick Thiago
Valencia Kagawa Ronaldo
RVP

:moon:

In another news, I hear were going to sign a £600m deal with Nike? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10121946/Manchester-United-manager-David-Moyes-handed-60m-transfer-kitty-by-Glazers-to-spend-on-new-players.html
Reply 5128
Original post by Idle

As I linked to on the other page, Madrid made their investment back in shirts and merchandise alone in a couple of seasons.

Both Bale and Ronaldo will sell a similar amount of shirts (bale was ranked among the top ten marketable sport stars this year). My point was that Ronaldo will end up costing United more money than bale over the length of his contract (about 5 years). Would rather we bought bale for 80 now, sold 80million worth of shirts and then sold him for 75 in 5 years time rather than spending 70million on ronaldo, selling 70million worth of shirts and then getting relatively nothing when we resell him (and nothing if he retires here). These will be the conversations they will have in the boardroom, who will make man utd the most money- both will bring similar amount of success on the pitch- and Bale is definitely the more profitable option financially.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5129
Original post by Idle

I have no clue how many shirts that is but I am sure it has made a considerable dent in what we paid for him.

He hasn't necessarily added to shirt sales, ie all thats happened is people have bought RVP shirts rather than Rooney/Nani shirts so shirt sales haven't actually increased that much.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
24m for RVP was excessive for a 29 year old injury prone player. I can walk into a BMW showroom tomorrow and buy a 5-series for 100,000. I'd get an amazing car but can I say I got a bargain? Of course not.

Why would you buy a 5-series for 100k? Can get a M5, an R8, a C63 AMG for that price:tongue: And success is determined by the contribution players make, RVP won us the title therefore it isn't successive. I don't understand you're logic tbh. Would you guuys buy a 29-year-old if he would guarantee you the title? I think so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Brainiac
Both Bale and Ronaldo will sell a similar amount of shirts (bale was ranked among the top ten marketable sport stars this year). My point was that Ronaldo will end up costing United more money than bale over the length of his contract (about 5 years). Would rather we bought bale for 80 now, sold 80million worth of shirts and then sold him for 75 in 5 years time rather than spending 70million on ronaldo, selling 70million worth of shirts and then getting relatively nothing when we resell him (and nothing if he retires here). These will be the conversations they will have in the boardroom, who will make man utd the most money- both will bring similar amount of success on the pitch- and Bale is definitely the more profitable option financially.

Ronaldo is a hell of a lot more marketable and would sell a hell of a lot more shirts than Bale. Ronaldo is also better than Bale and was better at Bales age than Bale is now. For the prices being thrown around for Bale we'd be daft to buy him, leave him to Madrid.
I'm so bored of waiting for us to a sign a cm
Original post by ledleyking123
I'm so bored of waiting for us to a sign a cm

I'm so bored of your daily complaints about lack of transfer activity when our new manager hasn't even officially started yet, its the middle of june ffs.
Reply 5134
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2323701/Neymar-words-marketable-athlete.html

Bales in the top 50 after one decent season, in 1-2 years he will be as marketable as Ronaldo as long as he carries on performing on the pitch.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2323701/Neymar-words-marketable-athlete.html

Bales in the top 50 after one decent season, in 1-2 years he will be as marketable as Ronaldo as long as he carries on performing on the pitch.

And he's being beaten by Lucas Moura, Wilshere, Alex Morgan, Kompany. Just because some god-awful tabloid says its true doesn't mean it is. Bale will be very marketable yes, but Ronaldo is on another planet.

edit: Beckham isn't even on the list, you're going to have to come up with something better than that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5136
Original post by DaveSmith99

edit: Beckham isn't even on the list, you're going to have to come up with something better than that.

He retired so he isn't included in the list. Bale hasn't had a lot of exposure to foreign markets while he has been at spurs, if he joins united he will get that exposure.
He retired so he isn't included in the list. Bale hasn't had a lot of exposure to foreign markets while he has been at spurs, if he joins united he will get that exposure.

He hadn't at the time the article was written.
Reply 5138
Ronaldo became marketable because he grew into one of the best players in the world, he won the champions league and a bunch of individual awards. If bale goes on to become one of the best players in the world and helps us win the champions league, then he will become just as marketable. Just because he isnt as marketable now, doesnt mean he never will be, i think he has the potential to be as good (and as marketable) as Ronaldo, if you dont then that is where we disagree.
Ronaldo became marketable because he grew into one of the best players in the world, he won the champions league and a bunch of individual awards. If bale goes on to become one of the best players in the world and helps us win the champions league, then he will become just as marketable. Just because he isnt as marketable now, doesnt mean he never will be, i think he has the potential to be as good (and as marketable) as Ronaldo, if you dont then that is where we disagree.

So Bale might become as marketable as Ronaldo if he becomes as good a player as him. Bale will be 24 next month, Ronaldo was 24 at the time we sold him to Madrid and had achieved a hell of a lot more, over a longer period of time.

Latest