The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1500
Original post by Lastminutepanic
In the specification it says 'describe and carry out, where appropriate, the preparation of a compound, eg cholesteryl benzoate (a liquid crystal) and of methyl 3-nitrobenzoate, requiring some of the following techniques...' Do we need to know how to make cholesteryl benzoate and methyl 3-nitrobenzoate or just how to carry out the different techniques??

I think all we need to know is what all reactants has to be used :smile:
Reply 1501
Guys a question!

Can Ecell be negative?
Also Is H20 ligand smaller than OH-?

If not why is it Zn(H20)6 and Zn(OH)4? Why is there a decrease in coordination?

I'm so going to fail!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1502
Original post by senz72
Guys a question!

Can Ecell be negative?
Also Is H20 ligand smaller than OH-?

If not why is it Zn(H20)6 and Zn(OH)4? Why is there a decrease in coordination?

I'm so going to fail!

yes it can be. umm I think it is bigger than OH-
there is no decrease in coordination number sometimes they write [Zn(OH)4(H2O)2]2+ as [Zn(OH)4]2+ :smile:
Original post by AS01
no no just 3. The one marked with same colour are one H environment

thank you :smile: there was meant to be a cl on the last carbon ... so that would mean there were 5 right ?

Original post by AS01
if u look at the one which is projectiong out its in same environment as the one just below is coz they both are bonded to same group. Again if u look at another CH2 at the top plane t it is bonded to same groups as the one which is at the corner of the plane below. so they are in same environment

yeah i see that now thank you for all your help .... but why arent all 4 ch2s in the same h enviroment- thay are all attached to the same groups ?
Reply 1504
Original post by AS01
yes it can be. umm I think it is bigger than OH-
there is no decrease in coordination number sometimes they write [Zn(OH)4(H2O)2]2+ as [Zn(OH)4]2+ :smile:

Does that mean it's partial ligand exchange? Why isn't it [Zn(Oh)6]4-?

Thanks.
Reply 1505
Original post by jojo1995
thank you :smile: there was meant to be a cl on the last carbon ... so that would mean there were 5 right ?

yeah i see that now thank you for all your help .... but why arent all 4 ch2s in the same h enviroment- thay are all attached to the same groups ?

lol! sorry! then yeah 5 environments :smile:
umm I think its coz those CH2s are not bonded to each other.
Reply 1506
Original post by senz72
Does that mean it's partial ligand exchange? Why isn't it [Zn(Oh)6]4-?

Thanks.

you can write that as well mark scheme does allow that but the correct one will be with Zn(OH)4. well if mark scheme allows then it doesnt mean they gave mark to incorrect one lol I think I am confusing you
All I mean is its Zn(OH)4 but MS does allow 6OH as people usually tend be to be like if Cr can form 6OH then this should as well and put it.
Original post by AS01
lol! sorry! then yeah 5 environments :smile:
umm I think its coz those CH2s are not bonded to each other.

thank you :biggrin:
could someone please help with with jan 2012 question 10 and 11 in the multiple choice section.

for 10, i know the answer won't be A or C but i don't understand how you know which out of ch3coch3 and ch3cocl won't react? the answer is B.

for 11, i understand how they got the answer but i'm just wondering why doesn't phenylamine undergo sulfonation with dilute sulfuric acid? cos wouldn't the lone pair on N activate the ring? (similarly to how phenol reacts)

thanks
Original post by AS01
After u do steam distillation u have product with mixture of water and phenylamine right?
u wanna get rid of water so what u do is add NaCl and keep in separating funnel. I think aq layer will be below and organic layer at the top so u can get rid of aq layer by opening the tap. After than u have organic layer left which will still have water in it. So what u need to do next is add anhydrous Na2CO3 why this and not CaCl2 is coz CaCl2 and magnesium sulphate will react with phenylamine. So now water will be removed but then again u have sodium carbonate in ur product so u decant the product and then distil the solution to get phenylamine in pure form.
lol I think I explained more than what u asked for

Once again perfect explanation thank you so much, so adding nacl will make phenyl amine not dissolve in water and thats how the 2 layers form in the separating funnel right? but how come still some water left in the organic layer if tap was opened for aqueous layer?
Reply 1510
Original post by jojo1995
thank you :biggrin:

you welcome :smile:
Reply 1511
Original post by Knoyle quiah
Once again perfect explanation thank you so much, so adding nacl will make phenyl amine not dissolve in water and thats how the 2 layers form in the separating funnel right? but how come still some water left in the organic layer if tap was opened for aqueous layer?

u dont let all water go purposefully coz if u do then there is a danger that some of ur product leaving along with water which will reduce the yield :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1512
Original post by LeaX
could someone please help with with jan 2012 question 10 and 11 in the multiple choice section.

for 10, i know the answer won't be A or C but i don't understand how you know which out of ch3coch3 and ch3cocl won't react? the answer is B.

for 11, i understand how they got the answer but i'm just wondering why doesn't phenylamine undergo sulfonation with dilute sulfuric acid? cos wouldn't the lone pair on N activate the ring? (similarly to how phenol reacts)

thanks

Its coz acyl chloride does react with NaOH. for 11 what happens is acid reacts with NH2 and forms NH3+ so this means the ring will be deactivated
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1513
Original post by AS01
After u do steam distillation u have product with mixture of water and phenylamine right?
u wanna get rid of water so what u do is add NaCl and keep in separating funnel. I think aq layer will be below and organic layer at the top so u can get rid of aq layer by opening the tap. After than u have organic layer left which will still have water in it. So what u need to do next is add anhydrous Na2CO3 why this and not CaCl2 is coz CaCl2 and magnesium sulphate will react with phenylamine. So now water will be removed but then again u have sodium carbonate in ur product so u decant the product and then distil the solution to get phenylamine in pure form.
lol I think I explained more than what u asked for

Do we have to know all of this and the last post for the exam?!
Reply 1514
Original post by JRP95
Do we have to know all of this and the last post for the exam?!

yes we do :smile:
what we need to know is how steam distillation works
Reply 1515
Original post by AS01
yes we do :smile:
what we need to know is how steam distillation works

Hmm I'd take a gamble and not bother then, a big steam distillation question already came up a couple of years ago so they'll probably do something on recrystallisation/reflux/fractional distillation.

Also we don't need to know about all that stuff you said after the steam distillation?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1516
Original post by JRP95
Hmm I'd take a gamble and not bother then, a big steam distillation question already came up a couple of years ago so they'll probably do something on recrystallisation/reflux/fractional distillation.

Also we don't need to know about all that stuff you said after the steam distillation?

lol okay
we do its about purifying ur products which they can ask for any type of reaction
Reply 1517
The C=O in esters does not react with Brady's reagent right?
Original post by SKK94
The C=O in esters does not react with Brady's reagent right?

Nope they don't
Reply 1519
Original post by posthumus
Nope they don't

Another doubt:
Phenylamine dissolves in aqueous acids because it forms an ionic salt (and they are more soluble in aq. acids than in water)
^Does this apply to alkyl amines as well?

I have similar doubts to yours in the transitions chapter. I'm still trying to figure them out :/
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending