The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Original post by D4rth
Is it because one isomer may have adverse/harmful side effects. One may be pharmacologically inactive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes 1/2 marks

the last mark would have been that , where you said pharmacologically inactive, you had to state could lead to liver conditions such as hepatitis
Reply 1481
Original post by otrivine
yes 1/2 marks

the last mark would have been that , where you said pharmacologically inactive, you had to state could lead to liver conditions such as hepatitis

Really? I've never heard of that before, its not even in the book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1482
Original post by D4rth
Really? I've never heard of that before, its not even in the book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it was a stretch and challenge :smile:

my turn
Reply 1483
I'm retaking this as I got a C in January due to SILLY mistakes! My revision starts today, any tips?
Reply 1484
yes 1/2 marks

you definitely dont need to know that it could lead to liver conditions
Reply 1485
Original post by Zzzyax
you definitely dont need to know that it could lead to liver conditions

Hi :smile: want to revise

It was in the mark scheme? of the legacy , maybe in old spec
Reply 1486
when the ethanoic anhydride reacts with an alcohol, how does the bond break to form the methyl ehtanoate
Reply 1487
when the ethanoic anhydride reacts with an alcohol, how does the bond break to form the methyl ehtanoate

the carbon oxygen single sigma bond breaks by heterolytic fission?, the bonding sigma pair goes to the oxygen atom, which then forms the ester bond with the CH3OH

(CH3COOCOCH3)so the products are CH3COOH and CH3COOCH3 plus H20
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1488
Original post by Zzzyax
the carbon oxygen single sigma bond breaks by heterolytic fission?, the bonding sigma pair goes to the oxygen atom, which then forms the ester bond with the CH3OH

(CH3COOCOCH3)so the products are CH3COOH and CH3COOCH3

Thanks, I mean like you know with the Carboxylic acid and alcohol, you remove water and join them

how does it work with the acid anhydries and alchol
Reply 1489

a Protien undergoes hydrolysis, expalin whether the amino acids produced are in a racemic mixture or of single optical isomer
Reply 1490
Original post by Zzzyax
a Protien undergoes hydrolysis, expalin whether the amino acids produced are in a racemic mixture or of single optical isomer

The amino acids produced are racemic mixture, this is because the (chiral centre) carbon atom is attached to 4 different atoms or groups of atom, and hence, can form 2 isomers which means , 2 non super imposable images of each other, one isomer rotates plane polarised light clockwise while the other isomer rotates plane polarised light anticlockwise, so results in these two isomers/mixture cancelling each other out.
Reply 1491
The amino acids produced are racemic mixture, this is because the (chiral centre) carbon atom is attached to 4 different atoms or groups of atom, and hence, can form 2 isomers which means , 2 non super imposable images of each other, one isomer rotates plane polarised light clockwise while the other isomer rotates plane polarised light anticlockwise, so results in these two isomers/mixture cancelling each other out.

i am sorry thats wrong, protiens are made from stereospecific enzymes
Reply 1492
Original post by Zzzyax
i am sorry thats wrong, protiens are made from stereospecific enzymes

I see, and what does Stereospecific enzyme mean

but on page 53, does it not show optical isomers between amino acids?
Reply 1493
I see, and what does Stereospecific enzyme mean

but on page 53, does it not show optical isomers between amino acids?

So all enzymes produce molecules of a specific optical isomer, so its called stereospecific

protiens are natural molecules
made from enzymes
Reply 1494

Hi, can you confirm Zzzyax asked a question about protein hydrolysis , I pretty sure , I am not sure but when a protein is hydrlysed a carbon atom is attached to 4 different variables for optical isomerism to take place and can form mirror images?
Reply 1495
Original post by Zzzyax
So all enzymes produce molecules of a specific optical isomer, so its called stereospecific

protiens are natural molecules
made from enzymes

Yes but if it produes optical isomer it still forms mirror images which gives racemic.

I think you are getting confused

read this http://www.chemguide.co.uk/basicorg/isomerism/optical.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1496
Hi, can you confirm Zzzyax asked a question about protein hydrolysis , I pretty sure , I am not sure but when a protein is hydrlysed a carbon atom is attached to 4 different variables for optical isomerism to take place and can form mirror images?

Jan 03 chain rings and spec, question 2d
Reply 1497
Original post by Zzzyax

I cant even find the mark scheme, and your question was nothing related to this, you just said protein hydrolysis you did not tell me the amino acid alanine and glycine !
Reply 1498
Original post by Zzzyax

8, 8, 7?
Reply 1499
Original post by JP.
8, 8, 7?

which one?

Latest

Trending

Trending