The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Physics P4P5P6 - 18/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Does anyone's revision guide contain info on this because mine doesn't :colondollar: :
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371295818.402611.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Electronic components are getting smaller

Over the last 50 years or so, electronic components have gotten smaller- it's known as miniaturisation.

This has both benefits and drawbacks for makers of electronics, and for the people who use them.
Maker
Benefits: Smaller devices use less raw materials. Most customers like smaller devices.
Drawbacks: It can be more complex to produce small devices, and more expensive.

Users
Benefits: More portable electronic devices available. More powerful and feature-filled devices produced.
Drawbacks: Smaller devices can be more expensive. They're easier to lose down the back of the sofa.

Computers have become smaller, cheaper and more powerful too. As more people have access to more computing power (e.g. computers and phones) society needs to decide how this should, or should not, be allowed to be used.
For example, society needs to think about controlling hacking, privacy and access to personal data.

Copied this from my CGP revision guide.
(edited 10 years ago)
Are the equations all still included on the paper?

Because i can't find (m1 x u1) + (m2 x u2) = (m1+m2) x v anywhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by benwalters1996
Are the equations all still included on the paper?

Because i can't find (m1 x u1) + (m2 x u2) = (m1+m2) x v anywhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think all of them are in it?
Can someone help me understand magnetic fields and motors please? Or link a decent website?

We weren't taught it and my revision book isn't that explanatory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371310677.944729.jpg guys....if electrons travel - to + why is the arrow drawn from + to -?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by benwalters1996
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371310677.944729.jpg guys....if electrons travel - to + why is the arrow drawn from + to -?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's cause scientists first thought they travelled from + to -, so even when they discovered it was actually - to + they were like ain't nobady gat time fo' dat, and so they just write + to - for the sake of simplicity.
Original post by Red Fox
Electronic components are getting smaller

Over the last 50 years or so, electronic components have gotten smaller- it's known as miniaturisation.

This has both benefits and drawbacks for makers of electronics, and for the people who use them.
Maker
Benefits: Smaller devices use less raw materials. Most customers like smaller devices.
Drawbacks: It can be more complex to produce small devices, and more expensive.

Users
Benefits: More portable electronic devices available. More powerful and feature-filled devices produced.
Drawbacks: Smaller devices can be more expensive. They're easier to lose down the back of the sofa.

Computers have become smaller, cheaper and more powerful too. As more people have access to more computing power (e.g. computers and phones) society needs to decide how this should, or should not, be allowed to be used.
For example, society needs to think about controlling hacking, privacy and access to personal data.

Copied this from my CGP revision guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 227

I really hate P6, revising it is the most boring thing ever.
Original post by Red Fox

Transformers, rectification and capacitors are the hardest topics in all three sciences i find :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red Fox

Preach it, it feels like every new page contradicts what I had just spend hours trying to learn :mad:
Reply 230
I'm going to leave 2 days free just to revise P6 - from just skimming through yesterday I didn't really understand anything..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red Fox

Yes, I'm finding P6 very boring and dull, and I feel I'm actually learning new things rather than just revising them when I go through this module... :facepalm:

I can't wait till this exam is over, hopefully physics A level doesn't have anything as boring as this! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DeadUnicorn
Preach it, it feels like every new page contradicts what I had just spend hours trying to learn :mad:

Same here- I keep managing to confuse different features of generators and motors up :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 233
Yes, I'm finding P6 very boring and dull, and I feel I'm actually learning new things rather than just revising them when I go through this module... :facepalm:

I can't wait till this exam is over, hopefully physics A level doesn't have anything as boring as this! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha same. I don't think I was even taught about potential dividers or diodes. My OCR AS Physics revision guide has 16 pages on electricity and electronics so I don't think I'm getting away from it any time soon.
Reply 234
Can anyone explain why the magnetic field goes from N to S?
Reply 235
Original post by Red Fox
Can anyone explain why the magnetic field goes from N to S?

I thought it was just convention that they do this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone using old spec past papers?
Original post by Red Fox
Haha same. I don't think I was even taught about potential dividers or diodes. My OCR AS Physics revision guide has 16 pages on electricity and electronics so I don't think I'm getting away from it any time soon.

Lol, well, for bridge circuits (a difficult topic which took me a while to understand it), our teacher just gave us a sheet with info about them on it and then expected us to learn it in class... :redface:

That's unlucky but maybe, it won't be as bad :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daniel97g
Is anyone using old spec past papers?

I am :biggrin:

I did the jan 2009 paper today and some of the questions in there were in the specimen paper :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 239
I am :biggrin:

I did the jan 2009 paper today and some of the questions in there were in the specimen paper :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you find the past papers really help your learning or are you just doing it to test yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending