The Student Room Group

What is the point of life? (atheists only please)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by upthegunners
be kind to others!

I honestly do my best not to back stab and I always include everyone,

do you really think that is a POINT of life though. It is so easy to just say be nice to people. But if you consider that from a biological perspective, we have learned to be nice to people to be socially accepted. So some other humans will let us go to the cinema with them. Or go hunting with them and eat, and ultimately survive. That is what it comes down to. Survival.
Original post by KaranSood07
do you really think that is a POINT of life though. It is so easy to just say be nice to people. But if you consider that from a biological perspective, we have learned to be nice to people to be socially accepted. So some other humans will let us go to the cinema with them. Or go hunting with them and eat, and ultimately survive. That is what it comes down to. Survival.

Well, yea. I guess so. But I honestly think that there is no real purpose, It's up to us to give it purpose.

I think the single thing that makes life so brilliant is love. Without love, we have not got anything.

Peace out.
To quote from Ayreon (a band):

"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."

:hat2:
From an evolutionary perspective, I'd say to survive and pass on your genes.

Personally, however, I don't really give two ****s about the meaning of life...
Original post by lazzarus
Ok, I accept that. But when one makes pleasure the basis of their life, can we not then discard most conventional morals. Does this not justify crime?

You also must admit that this is no substitute to an after life, are the happiest people not the religious?

How does a) watching out for some bearded dude in the sky or b) going to Heaven a justification to be "good"? Surely, you are just a)fearful or b) self-interested.

Besides, going to Heaven is not much more meaningful than being happy right now. If any, being happy now makes more sense as after all you don't even know if this place called heaven exists. You were told that by people who have not even seen it themselves and they also got told that by people who did not see it themselves.
Reply 445
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

Carpe diem bitches
Enjoy what you have while you have it. Life is short but that doesn't mean you can't be happy.

On the other hand, (actually this is more agnostic), it's just about accepting that we don't know, and wont know, so stop questioning it
Original post by tis_me_lord
I don't believe there is any, as such. We're just animals and our purpose is the same as other animals.

We're here by mistake, but now that we are here the instincts we have are to reproduce and we do live on, in the genes of our children.

Perfect answer, exactly correct in my view. There is no point it just happened, no grand design just a happy accident

Posted from TSR Mobile
To **** bishes

Posted from TSR Mobile
The state of consciousness has always baffled me. If one is to imagine an empty Universe, bereft of life, it makes sense ... in a way. In the sense that inanimate matter co-existing seems like an ordered state of being. But why such a Universe would develop to the point that things within it are alive ... I cannot comprehend.

If, for instance, we argue that the Universe has in some form always existed, how exactly do we explain it evolving to a state where matter within it becomes 'alive'? Is everything in the Universe 'alive', in a way that we, as mere mortals, have not yet come to understand? Is the Universe itself alive, and permanently so, in that it is an existence of its own (not, one should add, in the manner of God).

If there is life, then surely there has always been life. Is it really possible that inanimate matter could come to life, evolve, and develop into the complexity that we see around us? Does that really make sense? Why exactly would a combination of atoms evolve into a state of consciousness, having always (prior to that) been 'dead' (for want of a better word)?

Would anybody on here expect life to evolve if they were to place isolated, sterilised inanimate matter into a vacuum? I'm not sure I deem that possible.

Personally, I don't think life is a 'coincidence' in the terms that science would describe it. I believe that within the Universe, there has always been life. And that there always shall be life. I do not use this as proof of there being a deity. Merely I use it as proof that our purpose is whatever the Universe's purpose is - whether that be nothing, or something. Essentially, the conditions for life are universal - light, heat, water and energy are the things that the Universe holds in abundance. We are essentially slaves to superior forces - the forces of the Universe.

And I feel that the existential crisis is Universal, too.

Of course, this is all predicated on this experience that we are sharing being an actual reality.

I have to be honest and say that my first questions are never 'what is the meaning of life' and/or 'what happens when we die'. The questions I ask myself are as follows, in order:

- Am I real?
- (if yes) Is that which I see around me real?
- (if yes) To what extent are my actions and thoughts mine? Is it possible that I am being led by destiny, by the forces of dreams, into doing the things that I believe I am doing of my own free will?
- Are other living things real, or do I imagine them?
- (if yes) What is the nature of their reality?

Of course, many people take things as being self-evident, then they elaborate to ask the big questions - the ones they feel worthy of - whereupon they tend to gravitate towards 'truths' that they also feel are self-evident. And that's where the vicious cycle of faith or faithlessness begins.

Isn't it simpler to live life as follows:

It is now. I am. That is my purpose.

(if you don't understand that, you probably never will).
Original post by LukeatForest

- Am I real?
- (if yes) To what extent are my actions and thoughts mine? Is it possible that I am being led by destiny, by the forces of dreams, into doing the things that I believe I am doing of my own free will?

These are really interesting questions and you might want to make a thread about it in the philosophy section if you want to get more replies :biggrin:

I dont think there's any way as of yet, to discern whether we're real or not. There are many who say life is an illusion, a dream and once we die, we'll see how fake this all was and wont believe we fell for it all.

The destiny/free will is more complex and I'm not sure that classical destiny and free will can exist in the same space. Free will can exist without invoking some sort of higher being/consciousness whereas I dont think destiny can. That would imply that events and choices have already been made by something or someone, call it the conscious Universe, Deity, whatever.
Reply 450
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

http://youtu.be/HhGuXCuDb1U I really recommend you give this a watch if/when you have the time!
Reply 451
There isn't one. What makes us think we are so important? You are 1x10^-13 of a species of hundreds of 100's of them, in a planet making up ~0% of the universe.
You and I and everyone is unimportant.
Original post by pjanoo
http://youtu.be/HhGuXCuDb1U I really recommend you give this a watch if/when you have the time!

OP's last activity was in 2011, I doubt he'll ever log back onto TSR!
Original post by DudeBoy
There isn't one. What makes us think we are so important? You are 1x10^-13 of a species of hundreds of 100's of them, in a planet making up ~0% of the universe.
You and I and everyone is unimportant.

But just because we may be one of many, doesnt make us unimportant. Is a random kid in India any less important than someone else just because he's 1 person in 7 billion?
Original post by LukeatForest
The state of consciousness has always baffled me. If one is to imagine an empty Universe, bereft of life, it makes sense ... in a way. In the sense that inanimate matter co-existing seems like an ordered state of being. But why such a Universe would develop to the point that things within it are alive ... I cannot comprehend.

If, for instance, we argue that the Universe has in some form always existed, how exactly do we explain it evolving to a state where matter within it becomes 'alive'? Is everything in the Universe 'alive', in a way that we, as mere mortals, have not yet come to understand? Is the Universe itself alive, and permanently so, in that it is an existence of its own (not, one should add, in the manner of God).

If there is life, then surely there has always been life. Is it really possible that inanimate matter could come to life, evolve, and develop into the complexity that we see around us? Does that really make sense? Why exactly would a combination of atoms evolve into a state of consciousness, having always (prior to that) been 'dead' (for want of a better word)?

Would anybody on here expect life to evolve if they were to place isolated, sterilised inanimate matter into a vacuum? I'm not sure I deem that possible.

Personally, I don't think life is a 'coincidence' in the terms that science would describe it. I believe that within the Universe, there has always been life. And that there always shall be life. I do not use this as proof of there being a deity. Merely I use it as proof that our purpose is whatever the Universe's purpose is - whether that be nothing, or something. Essentially, the conditions for life are universal - light, heat, water and energy are the things that the Universe holds in abundance. We are essentially slaves to superior forces - the forces of the Universe.

And I feel that the existential crisis is Universal, too.

Of course, this is all predicated on this experience that we are sharing being an actual reality.

I have to be honest and say that my first questions are never 'what is the meaning of life' and/or 'what happens when we die'. The questions I ask myself are as follows, in order:

- Am I real?

Of course, many people take things as being self-evident, then they elaborate to ask the big questions - the ones they feel worthy of - whereupon they tend to gravitate towards 'truths' that they also feel are self-evident. And that's where the vicious cycle of faith or faithlessness begins.

Isn't it simpler to live life as follows:

It is now. I am. That is my purpose.

(if you don't understand that, you probably never will).

You've pretty much described my position. I'm also baffled by these big questions, though I think Descartes answered the "Am I real?" question (but doesn't "Cogito ergo sum" beg the question?).

*sigh* The Universe, illusion or not, is a pretty scary place. I don't think we humans can ever comprehend the deepest reality.
Reply 455
Original post by LeonVII
OP's last activity was in 2011, I doubt he'll ever log back onto TSR!

Hahahaha, oops :redface: good video nonetheless!
Reply 456
Original post by LeonVII
But just because we may be one of many, doesnt make us unimportant. Is a random kid in India any less important than someone else just because he's 1 person in 7 billion?

No, we are all equally unimportant.
Original post by DudeBoy
No, we are all equally unimportant.

If that's your view, fine :smile:
to just enjoy the **** out of it, savour experiences then vanish forever
There is no point.

The only 'meaning' comes from our consciousness and morals which are a result of evolution, which only happens due to probability, not for any 'reason'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending