The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2900
what does it mean when a mark scheme says neutral would you get the mark or not?
Reply 2901
What role does a promoter play in transcription?
Reply 2902
Original post by pjanoo
That is quite confusing haha! I just remember this:

Respiration is an exothermic reaction so heat will always be generated, so you've got it spot on that the body will increase its rate of respiration to increase the heat generation.

Don't forget though that respiration is an enzyme-controlled reaction. As temperature increases, kinetic energy of molecules increases and so enzyme activity will increase - increasing the rate of respiration.

Respiration produces ATP, so now with the greater the rate of respiration, more ATP is going to be produced.

Respiration also runs on oxygen as fuel, so more oxygen is needed to continue fuelling this greater rate of respiration.

It is weird how it seems contradictory and I think that's because there's more complexity to respiration than the specification will cover without going beyond A-Level. I really hope this helps!!

I know haha I always start to over think topics close to the exam and confuse myself!
Yes breaking it down like that definitely helps, thanks for your help:smile:
Original post by Anjna
what does it mean when a mark scheme says neutral would you get the mark or not?

It's means ignore. You don't get credit but they don't negatively mark it.
Original post by Hippokrates
I got about 50% and I'm predicted an A* :P Not that I'm going to get one because of this silly essay

Thank god I'm not the only one! I got 48 without the essay (which I'll be rubbish at) and it got me pretty wound up. Phew !

And imagine Uses of ATP in organisms essay guys, that would be incredible even for someone like me who is dreading it!
Reply 2905
Unit 5 papers surely aren't as bad as the unit 4 papers:redface:
Reply 2906
What would you include in a "Uses of ATP" essay?
I know theres obviously loads but i am only thinking of the few obvious ones: active transport etc.
Original post by henryoloyede
Our teacher gave us a list of essays:

1. Discuss the issues associated with the use of recomibnant DNA.
2. Discuss the influences humans may have over species diversity.
3. Discuss the different ways organisms use ATP.
4. How do amino acids get from our food to becoming proteins in the body?
5. Discuss negative feedback and its importance in biology.
6. Polymers have different structures and functions. Describe how the structures of different polymers are related to their functions.
7. The transfer of energy between different organisms and between these organisms and their environment.
8. Cycles in biology.
9. How bacteria affect human lives.
10. Protein synthesis as a fundamental process to life.

Thanks for this, the first 2 look hard! One question: polymers? I'm thinking of chemistry here ha, what are polymers in biology?

Original post by mollymango
I would quite like this list too haha!

I think I am going to revise enzymes and proteins, diseases, and the transport of substances. Maybe the uses of ATP too (that would be an awesome essay aha).

Yeah good call, I really need to brush up on my AS stuff so I might just go over a couple of AS topics like the plasma membrane and the stuff about apoplastic/symplastic pathways and haemoglobin...god I've forgotten all of that ha, damn you BIO5 and your synopticity! (if that's a word...)
Original post by Anjna

you don't get a mark for it. it is not wrong because it isn't contradictionary, it itsnt right because its not specific to the question. e.g how comes the gene on dna has more bases that that on mrna bladd?? answer - because dna contains non coding bas sequences (introns). neutral would be,pre mrna is a spliced to remove introns. its not wrong, but it does exactly answer the question.
Reply 2909
Why is it on the specimen paper the time given is 1 h 30 min?
Original post by medlou
What would you include in a "Uses of ATP" essay?
I know theres obviously loads but i am only thinking of the few obvious ones: active transport etc.

The different ways in which organisms use ATP OR ATP and its roles in living organisms
The nature/structure of ATP and its importance as energy currency. Production and use of ATP in cytoplasm by glycolysis Production of ATP by mitochondria in Krebs cycle and ETS aerobic respiration. Anaerobic respiration. Role of chloroplasts in ATP production via light independent reaction Uses e.g. Active transport (carrier protein shape changes), Nerve action (maintaining resting potentials via Na+/K+ pump and resynthesis of ACh), selective reabsorption by nephron, absorption by gut, Calvin cycle, muscle contraction (cross bridge formation), Biosynthesis of organic compounds, Contractile vacuoles, Translocation (loading of phloem), cell division (movement of chromosomes via spindle), CP formation in muscles, Nitrogen fixation (Blue-green algae), Kidney function, movement of sperm, secretion of digestive enzymes in saprophytic fungi, cilia and flagella action
Original post by ksoni94
What role does a promoter play in transcription?

Allows RNA Polymerase to attach to the (single strand of) DNA. Its basically just the region of the strand that acts as a binding site.
Reply 2912
Original post by Hippokrates
The different ways in which organisms use ATP OR ATP and its roles in living organisms
The nature/structure of ATP and its importance as energy currency. Production and use of ATP in cytoplasm by glycolysis Production of ATP by mitochondria in Krebs cycle and ETS aerobic respiration. Anaerobic respiration. Role of chloroplasts in ATP production via light independent reaction Uses e.g. Active transport (carrier protein shape changes), Nerve action (maintaining resting potentials via Na+/K+ pump and resynthesis of ACh), selective reabsorption by nephron, absorption by gut, Calvin cycle, muscle contraction (cross bridge formation), Biosynthesis of organic compounds, Contractile vacuoles, Translocation (loading of phloem), cell division (movement of chromosomes via spindle), CP formation in muscles, Nitrogen fixation (Blue-green algae), Kidney function, movement of sperm, secretion of digestive enzymes in saprophytic fungi, cilia and flagella action

Thanks that helps a lot, although Im unsure what a few of that means I definitely dont have any outside knowledge, I am verrrrry worried about this
Original post by jonnyb123
I'm thinking of chemistry here ha, what are polymers in biology?

Nucleic Acids (DNA/RNA)
Proteins (polypeptides)
Carbohydrates (Polysaccharides - Cellulose, Starch, Glycogen)
Reply 2914
When an action potential is triggered, I understand the opening and closing of the K and Na channels, but does the sodium potassium pump continue to operate as normal as all this goes on?
Surely this affects the changing of the membrane potential?
Original post by Tikara
restriction mapping is cutting a large piece of DNA into smaller chunks using restriction endonucleases so that these chunks' DNA sequence can be determined by DNA sequencing.

this is because very large pieces of DNA are hard to work out the sequence of through DNA sequencing so they're cut into manageable chunks and pieced back together in the correct order to have the whole DNA base sequence.

(what my CGP book says :P)

Why haha?
Reply 2916
Has anyone got any decent notes on locating and sequencing genes which I could borrow please?
I'm having so much trouble retaining everything I study. Like I revised chapter 10 last week in detail and now it's just so fuzzy! :frown:

Genuinely worried about this exam.
Could someone please just double check my understanding on IAA;

IAA in shoot tips:
IAA diffuses to shaded side of shoot so higher concentration of IAA on shaded side causing elongation of the cells resulting the shoot growing towards the light (Positive phototropism)

Is an example of negative phototropism shown by roots as they're growing away from the light?

IAA in root tips:
The side of the root that has the lower concentration of IAA (this would be the upper side of the root, right?) is where the cell elongation occurs causing the root to grow downwards towards gravity (positive geotropism)

Higher concentration of IAA causes no cell elongation so inhibits root growth for the area of the root in which the high concentration of IAA is.
Hey guys! what sort of things could you write about in an essay question on the roles of membranes in living organisms? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending