The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 5 6BI05 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by kabOOmm
can somebody please tell me why the fact that mole rats dont follow normal circadian rhythms can help cure disordered sleep in humans?

this is just an idea becuase i dont know for sure. ...
but maybe there are some molecules that control normal sleeping patters ... circadian rhythms .... perhaps the mole rats have different/ particular concentractions of these and humans that have sleep disorder too ... we could recognise the differnces and treat the disorders by manipulating the numbers of these molecules ..
Reply 641
Anyone able to explain to me what contact inhibition is?
Reply 642
Original post by jojo1995
this is just an idea becuase i dont know for sure. ...
but maybe there are some molecules that control normal sleeping patters ... circadian rhythms .... perhaps the mole rats have different/ particular concentractions of these and humans that have sleep disorder too ... we could recognise the differnces and treat the disorders by manipulating the numbers of these molecules ..

oh okayy..yea makes sense. thankyou!! :smile:
Reply 643
Original post by Mallika
I love you so much! :tongue: Thank you that makes so much more sense to me- just a few more clarifying questions ( so sorry :colondollar: )
Does it only stop being hyperpolarised when the rhodopsin has completely broken down?

According to what I learnt, yes.
I don't think we have to know any more? xD
Original post by Hdizzle
ATP made through aerobic respiration- oxidative phosphorylation using ETC in mitochondira
ATP made in anaerobic respiration- substrate level phosphorylation in glycolysis step which occurs in cytoplasm. NAD regenerated to allow continual production of ATP by reducing pyruvate to lactate.
Hydrolysis of phosphocreatine produces energy to be used to synthesise ATP.

-on side note the hydrolysis of phosphocreatine is triggered by high levels of ADP (due to ATP being broken down to release energy)

Makes so much sense to me now! Thank youuu ^_^

Original post by joan2468
It's referring to fast twitch muscle fibres right?

1) The fibres have glycogen stores which can be broken down into glucose, the substrate for glycolysis (which doesn't need oxygen to function) a process which results in a net gain of 2 ATP molecules.

2) When you exercise your ATP is rapidly used up so you're left with ADP (remember when you use ATP it is hydrolysed to release energy so ATP --> ADP + Pi + energy), the enzyme creatine kinase breaks down creatine phosphate to creatine + Pi and energy is released. This energy is used to synthesise more ATP to allow the muscle fibres to continue contracting.

I found this helpful for explaining how creatine phosphate works :
http://voices.yahoo.com/a-simple-look-creatine-phosphate-works-1535819.html

yes it's fast twitch. Great info! Thank you :smile:
how does a drug affect the expression of an allele?
Original post by Mallika
thank you :smile: is dark adaptation then when rhodopsin starts to be reformed so you get clearer vision after 30 or so minutes?

Yeap you are correct. Rhodopsin reforms at a faster rate in dark adaptation :smile:
Reply 647
Original post by C94
I still havent finished revising yet. :frown: still got past papers to do, and article questions to look at.

Me too :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 648
Original post by IchHabDichLieb
how does a drug affect the expression of an allele?

In order for a gene to be expressed or transcribed the transcription factors are required to be in their active state. The drug can basically inactivate these transcription factors thus preventing the transcription initiation complex from forming (which is the RNA polymerase combined with the transcription factors), and attaching onto the promoter region of the gene. So the gene essentially remains switched off.
Reply 649
Can anyone summarise the habituation practical please?
Reply 650
Hi guys

In the respirometer practical the fluid moves due to a change jn volume and pressure it says in most mark schemes. Is this a decrease or increase in pressure/volume which leads to the fluid movement?
Reply 651
Original post by SKK94
According to what I learnt, yes.
I don't think we have to know any more? xD

I don't think we need anymore detail than what dark/light adaptation actually is but better safe than sorry :P
Reply 652
Original post by bubblegummer
Yeap you are correct. Rhodopsin reforms at a faster rate in dark adaptation :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 653
Hello, anyone know the topics that might come up in the advance article section?
Reply 654
Original post by Mallika
I don't think we need anymore detail than what dark/light adaptation actually is but better safe than sorry :P

True :smile:
The official Edexcel textbook is so crap it actually annoys me
Reply 656
Original post by jojo1995
thank you :smile:

im doing normal edexcel, do i need to know the stuff about a and d and b and co? .... you explained it well its just alot to get my head around :tongue:

Nope, you don't :smile:
Reply 657
Original post by nukethemaly
The official Edexcel textbook is so crap it actually annoys me

What? :colondollar: I think it's great.
Reply 658
would be really grateful if someone could explain the stages of anaerobic respiration :s its not very clear in my textbook and the mark schemes don't really help ssince they dont connect the stages
Could someone give details on the core practicals in the spec:
1. Describe how to investigate rate of respiration practically. (6)
2. Describe how to investigate the effects of exercise on tidal volume and breathing rate using data from spirometer traces. (14)
3. Describe how to investigate habituation to a stimulus. (15)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending