The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know whether its hard to get an A on this exam? I took this in January and received a C so really want an A.
Reply 261
anyone know what id need to get in this exam retake or the g543 to try get a B or even the off rare chance of an A?
psychological investigations- 54/60 A
core studies- 90/140- C
G544- 62/100- C (retaking)
Reply 262
Original post by lankan-gurl
Does anyone know whether its hard to get an A on this exam? I took this in January and received a C so really want an A.

most people in my class got an A except a few of us (inc me) who got Cs, its not too hard but only if the grade boundaries are fairly low like i think they were in jan because i thought id completely failed this and had got a U but i didnt, just make sure your prepared and understand the essay structure and your main points and you should be fine :smile:
Original post by em6789
most people in my class got an A except a few of us (inc me) who got Cs, its not too hard but only if the grade boundaries are fairly low like i think they were in jan because i thought id completely failed this and had got a U but i didnt, just make sure your prepared and understand the essay structure and your main points and you should be fine :smile:

Thanks :smile: Same I completely thought that I would have got a U for the exam but was glad I got at least a C. What do you mean by essay structure though?
Reply 264
Thanks :smile: Same I completely thought that I would have got a U for the exam but was glad I got at least a C. What do you mean by essay structure though?

yeah same :smile: ummm section B which how you answer part a, b, c, d and e, as each is answered in a specific way
Original post by em6789
anyone know what id need to get in this exam retake or the g543 to try get a B or even the off rare chance of an A?
psychological investigations- 54/60 A
core studies- 90/140- C
G544- 62/100- C (retaking)

If you wanted to get a B overall you would need to get 68 ums on both the G544 and G543 exam but you could get slightly higher or lower on either exam to give you 136 UMS for both papers scores added together plus the 54 and 90 which gives you 280 UMS points for the B :smile:

However if you want to get an A then you would need to get roughly 88 UMS on both G544 and G543 but either more or less on one paper so that once you get 176 UMS for A2 plus 144 at AS which gives you 320 for the A :smile:
Original post by em6789
yeah same :smile: ummm section B which how you answer part a, b, c, d and e, as each is answered in a specific way

Oh ok :smile: I see
Reply 267
If you wanted to get a B overall you would need to get 68 ums on both the G544 and G543 exam but you could get slightly higher or lower on either exam to give you 136 UMS for both papers scores added together plus the 54 and 90 which gives you 280 UMS points for the B :smile:

However if you want to get an A then you would need to get roughly 88 UMS on both G544 and G543 but either more or less on one paper so that once you get 176 UMS for A2 plus 144 at AS which gives you 320 for the A :smile:

thank you :smile: think i'll stick with the B haha seems more realistic! how do you change UMS points into what youd need to get in each paper like what marks would you need in the papers not the UMS? sorry to be a pain
Reply 268
Original post by mkhan9035
Yeah so I guess what your trying to say is revise the approaches but don't make any random guesses! Seems legit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah haha, it's too unpredictable :frown:
Other than Wilson & Daly, what other studies from A2 can be classed as Individual Differences?
Reply 270
Original post by Bobby Greenberg III
Other than Wilson & Daly, what other studies from A2 can be classed as Individual Differences?

I'm going for Brunner and Gudjohnsson :smile:
Reply 271
What studies from health or sport can be used in individual differences for A2? Also what came up in section B for the Jan 2013 paper?
Reply 272
How many marks out of 80 are needed for an A or A*?
Reply 273
Original post by HPattni
What studies from health or sport can be used in individual differences for A2? Also what came up in section B for the Jan 2013 paper?

Section B was reliability and the individual/situational debate :smile:
Reply 274
Good luck guys! Lets hope OCR wont surprise us with anything like the Jan paper, and hopefully we'll see an approach in section B! :smile:
Reply 275
Original post by AliceD
Section B was reliability and the individual/situational debate :smile:

Thanks so much :biggrin:
Reply 276
Original post by Cryl
Struggling on one strength for individual differences, apart from that it's useful. I have that it allows us to understand rare, abnormal behaviour hence broadening psychological knowledge (but that's same as usefulness). I guess I could say it uses psychometric tests, but I don't see how that's a strength, and I don't have any examples from A2 studies. Actually, does Gudjohnsson's Suggestibility Scale classify as a psychometric test?

For my individual differences essay, I put:

Strength - holistic and has the advantage that it collects both quant. and qual. data - examples: T&C, McGrath
Weakness - qual. data often subjective and can suffer from observer bias - examples: Rosenhan, T&C
Weakness - small sample --> low generalisability - examples: W&R, Gudjohnsson
Strength - useful as they have many applications - examples: Griffiths, Gudjohnsson

From this I have used 6 different studies and I have got a range in, as there is 3 form core, 2 from health and 1 from forensic :smile:
Reply 277
Original post by ke95
How many marks out of 80 are needed for an A or A*?

for an A, it is usually around 60/80, give or take a few marks, so around 75% :smile:
Reply 278
Original post by AvaSofia
For my individual differences essay, I put:

Strength - holistic and has the advantage that it collects both quant. and qual. data - examples: T&C, McGrath
Weakness - qual. data often subjective and can suffer from observer bias - examples: Rosenhan, T&C
Weakness - small sample --> low generalisability - examples: W&R, Gudjohnsson
Strength - useful as they have many applications - examples: Griffiths, Gudjohnsson

From this I have used 6 different studies and I have got a range in, as there is 3 form core, 2 from health and 1 from forensic :smile:

Great! Thanks. Do you have any strengths and weaknesses for the free will issue?
Original post by em6789
thank you :smile: think i'll stick with the B haha seems more realistic! how do you change UMS points into what youd need to get in each paper like what marks would you need in the papers not the UMS? sorry to be a pain

No problem :smile:

Hmm not too sure, if it was aqa then you could use the UMS converter to figure out raw marks and how they equal to UMS points but because Psychology is with the OCR board I'm not sure.

I just took the marks you gave (presuming that they were UMS points) and calculated how much you would need to get an A/B grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending