The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Myocardium
What do you mean by that? :s-smilie:

Also can someone help me with this please. In the last question of this paper in the third line of the solution for 7c (markscheme), when writing the integral, they've missed out a -ve sign in front of the integral, why is this?

markscheme

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/Edexcel/Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/Subject%20Sorted/C4/Solomon/Solomon%20A%20MS.pdf

paper

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/Edexcel/Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/Subject%20Sorted/C4/Solomon/Solomon%20A.pdf

Hi, I haven't done the Q but when you converted the limits to t, did you realise that they swap over & because they swap over, the sign at the end basically changes :smile:
Original post by fayled
When you swap the limits around you can compensate for it by multiplying the integral by -1.

Original post by Fortitude
Hi, I haven't done the Q but when you converted the limits to t, did you realise that they swap over & because they swap over, the sign at the end basically changes :smile:

Oh I see thanks :smile:
Original post by James A
:lol: People easily jump on the bandwagon when it suits them and most of em on facebook are demanding a free resit, lmfao they got no chance of that happening. 0% possibility. Many people on here actually did alright and got in the 60's (raw mark).

Basically, I'm on a gap year now and I did C2 and was also entered for this C3 exam. I pretty much aced C2 (not trying to sound cocky in any way, but according to Arsey, I got 74/75 for it) and yet I was only 2 ums off an A in maths overall last year (I scored 74 ums in c2 all the way back in june 11) so I'm pretty certain that my C2 score will easily get me my A overall. My mum forced me to enter for C3 because she wanted me to be on the safe side :rofl:

Anyways, yeah I did turn up to the exam yesterday, did very little revision tbh, I don't even know why I bothered turning up to the exam, but yeah I just wasn't in the zone for the exam because of the such little revision I did. It was a hard exam, even more so for me :tongue: But yeah I was so relieved to know that I wasn't counting on c3 to bring my overall grade to an A !
Phew! :biggrin:

The funny thing also is that the last question had nothing to do with mechanics, you obviously had to think hard, but it was easy stuff like SOC CAH TOA from GCSE which may have tripped people. The question required no knowledge of M1. I will admit though, not every single candidate knows about the speed = distance/time formula, but then again, they could have easily derived that formula from the units of velocity (ms^-1).

It truely amazes me as to how many people on the social networking sites seem to think that Maths exams are always about memorising stuff and just following a certain pattern or a bunch of rules. The pure art of maths, comes from applying your knowledge to unknown questions. If you had sound knowledge of C3, then the questions are defo do-able (specifically referring to the last page).

last page wasnt the hardest question, i'd say the q7.. Didnt remember similar triangles at all :/
How do I do question 6a?

It says to integrate 2sin3xsin2x and they've converted it to (cosx - cos5x), how? :confused:

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/Edexcel/Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/Subject%20Sorted/C4/Solomon/Solomon%20A.pdf
Reply 3724
How do I do question 6a?

It says to integrate 2sin3xsin2x and they've converted it to (cosx - cos5x), how? :confused:

You use the factor formula, to convert into a form and then they integrated it...
Original post by ACBLISS
So shorty think you can beat me in C4 :wink:

Without a doubt :u:
Someone try part B of this and I will say answer, keep getting it wrong dont understand how they got their answer or maybe error in mark scheme
Reply 3727
Original post by Theafricanlegend
Yeah but you dont even know that AC is the radius, hell you dont know that line l1 even touches the centre of the circle c?

You do know that AC and BC are the radius because it states that Given that the circle with centre C, cuts the line l1 at A and B.
How do I do question 6a?

If you look at your formula sheet (C3) you can use cosA - cosB = -2sin((A+B)/2) sin ((A-B)/2) :smile:
Reply 3729
Original post by MedMed12
Without a doubt :u:

GOOD! but too bad you won't :tongue: as you see i thought i would like get mid 80ish on c3 paper so i would need high 90 in c4 to compensate hence why i am so awesome in C4 :biggrin: lool
Btw....i'm not going warwick anymore due to family reasons....:mad:
Original post by ACBLISS
GOOD! but too bad you won't :tongue: as you see i thought i would like get mid 80ish on c3 paper so i would need high 90 in c4 to compensate hence why i am so awesome in C4 :biggrin: lool
Btw....i'm not going warwick anymore due to family reasons....:mad:

what? I thought you got an A* in c3 ? :frown:
C4 is good ngl!! I haven't seen any horrendous papers for it so I'm expecting the worst :/ hopefully they'll be nice if they want me to finish on Maths A-level on a positive note :tongue:
I'll PM :smile:
Reply 3731
what? I thought you got an A* in c3 ? :frown:
C4 is good ngl!! I haven't seen any horrendous papers for it so I'm expecting the worst :/ hopefully they'll be nice if they want me to finish on Maths A-level on a positive note :tongue:
I'll PM :smile:

No i meant i THOUGHT before the exam :tongue: lol i got 60ish in this exam so it's fine dw :tongue: lol as i think it will be nice as i'v never seen two pure papers be evil at the same time? who know lol
Original post by ACBLISS
No i meant i THOUGHT before the exam :tongue: lol i got 60ish in this exam so it's fine dw :tongue: lol as i think it will be nice as i'v never seen two pure papers be evil at the same time? who know lol

Ohh I see!
iA it'll be fine :smile:
Reply 3733
Ohh I see!
iA it'll be fine :smile:

So what exactly are you doing for C4 right now?
Original post by Knoyle quiah
Someone try part B of this and I will say answer, keep getting it wrong dont understand how they got their answer or maybe error in mark scheme

Spoiler

does anyone have a list of formulas we need to memorise?
Original post by Zaphod77
If you look at your formula sheet (C3) you can use cosA - cosB = -2sin((A+B)/2) sin ((A-B)/2) :smile:

But how would I find out what A and B is? Sorry, still completely stuck :/

Would you mind going through it please? :smile:
Original post by ACBLISS
So what exactly are you doing for C4 right now?

I did some questions for each chapter today. I have Biology on Monday and need to relearn some stuff. I'm so tired though. Its a fun unit, but alot of meaty stuff to go over :sigh: My motivation is Wednesday :smile:
I've done all the Past papers for c4 (2007 - 2013), and Have no idea what to do now,...

personally, I didn't want to go for solomon papers for C4, but this seems to be my last option...

Oh, does anyone know/have any international C4 papers for me to try?

I saw earlier on this thread an attachment of vector questions from solomon papers or something? are there more of these? can someone link me to the vectors one? or any document which has a compilation of questions os each topic? Thanks!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3739
I did some questions for each chapter today. I have Biology on Monday and need to relearn some stuff. I'm so tired though. Its a fun unit, but alot of meaty stuff to go over :sigh: My motivation is Wednesday :smile:

Good good, you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending