The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Cryl
Yes, strengths & weaknesses of determinism will be great. (I could probably reverse them to make them strengths and weakness of free will :P) Thanks!

I'll PM you my whole essay as my examples make more sense written out fully than if I just write it down in point form, et me just finish copying it up from paper :smile:
Reply 301
Original post by AvaSofia
I'll PM you my whole essay as my examples make more sense written out fully than if I just write it down in point form, et me just finish copying it up from paper :smile:

Oh, that'd be awesome! Thanks!
Reply 302
If reductionism and determinism come up i'd actually cry! Praying for Individual Differences, Behaviourist or Psychodynamic :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's it, like in G&S example, after describing the study, then say why it fits in with the approach, debate, issue etc. The point I'm making about part a is just make sure your explanation as to why its deterministic fits in with your definition of determinism in part a, as is they say completely different things then you have contradicted yourself, part a is the definition and part b is why the study fits in with that definition.

Reply 304
Original post by mkhan9035
If reductionism and determinism come up i'd actually cry! Praying for Individual Differences, Behaviourist or Psychodynamic :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no, not psychodynamic!

But I'd like for behaviourist to come up. And tbh, I think it will.
Reply 305

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would hate psychodynamic, as there aren't many studies to talk about! What studies would you use? There's Freud, T&C, Farrington, Y&S, is there any others?
Reply 306
I would hate psychodynamic, as there aren't many studies to talk about! What studies would you use? There's Freud, T&C, Farrington, Y&S, is there any others?

I'd just stick to Thigpen and Freud mainly because they're easier to relate to the psychodynamic perspective! Using A2 studies for this perspective would confuse you! Narrowing the 2 studies to freud and thigpen for everything would be far easier i find

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 307
If Behaviourist did come up, what would you all expect the part (d) question about compare behaviourist with ____? Other than Physiological (as they asked this the last time the Physiological approach came up) Cognitive maybe? Social?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 308
Original post by Cryl
Oh no, not psychodynamic!

But I'd like for behaviourist to come up. And tbh, I think it will.

Its not as hard as it seems! Its just Thigpen and Freud everywhere ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 309
Its not as hard as it seems! Its just Thigpen and Freud everywhere ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they're all AS! My memory has been used up for all the A2 studies for the G543 exam. :sad:. And Thigpen & Cleckley is manageable, but Freud - I could never learn that study!
Reply 310
If Behaviourist did come up, what would you all expect the part (d) question about compare behaviourist with ____? Other than Physiological (as they asked this the last time the Physiological approach came up) Cognitive maybe? Social?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, social one would be hard to compare in terms of difference, without being too specific. i.e. social approach states that we learn through our situation, whereas behaviourist states we learn through classical, operant and reinforcement. They're both reductionist and have qualitative/quantitative data. What would you say a difference is? o.O
Reply 311

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cognitive is a possibility, however when they did the cognitive approach in Jan 2010 they did it with behaviourist. Do you think it would be too obvious for it to be compared to the psychodynamic perspective?
Reply 312
Cognitive is a possibility, however when they did the cognitive approach in Jan 2010 they did it with behaviourist. Do you think it would be too obvious for it to be compared to the psychodynamic perspective?

Well in that case it could be compared with anything then :/ urghh! Why is this exam so bloody hard :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 313
Original post by Cryl
Hmm, social one would be hard to compare in terms of difference, without being too specific. i.e. social approach states that we learn through our situation, whereas behaviourist states we learn through classical, operant and reinforcement. They're both reductionist and have qualitative/quantitative data. What would you say a difference is? o.O

Similarities:
Both approaches use lab experiments (Milgram and Watson and Raynor)
Both approaches therefore lack ecological validity as you can't apply the results to real life obedience or phobia development

Differences:
The social approach emphasises the role of learning from others (Bandura) whereas Behaviourist focuses on learning through conditioning (Watson and Raynor)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 314
Similarities:
Both approaches use lab experiments (Milgram and Watson and Raynor)
Both approaches therefore lack ecological validity as you can't apply the results to real life obedience or phobia development

Differences:
The social approach emphasises the role of learning from others (Bandura) whereas Behaviourist focuses on learning through conditioning (Watson and Raynor)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought Bandura is behaviourist? Learning through imitation?
Reply 315
Original post by Cryl
But they're all AS! My memory has been used up for all the A2 studies for the G543 exam. :sad:. And Thigpen & Cleckley is manageable, but Freud - I could never learn that study!

But there isn't much to freud other than little hans and his phobia of horses and he has sexual feelings for his mum haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 316
Original post by Cryl
I thought Bandura is behaviourist? Learning through imitation?

It can also be applied in a social context due to the "social learning theory" :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 317
It can also be applied in a social context due to the "social learning theory" :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh okay. But I think it's social and behaviourism involves learning from others, and behaviourism is not limited to conditioning but also imitation from others. :/
Reply 318
Does anyone have the January 2013 G544 paper and mark scheme? thanks

rep will be given!
Reply 319
Original post by Cryl
Oooh okay. But I think it's social and behaviourism involves learning from others, and behaviourism is not limited to conditioning but also imitation from others. :/

Oh god i've no clue then :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending