The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Myocardium
But how would I find out what A and B is? Sorry, still completely stuck :/

Would you mind going through it please? :smile:

Think simultaneous equations. If you put (A+B)/2 = 3x and (A-B)/2 = 2x, then can you go from there? :smile:
Original post by PoorLoser
I've done all the Past papers for c4 (2007 - 2013), and Have no idea what to do now,...

personally, I didn't want to go for solomon papers for C4, but this seems to be my last option...

Oh, does anyone know/have any international C4 papers for me to try?

I saw earlier on this thread an attachment of vector questions from solomon papers or something? are there more of these? can someone link me to the vectors one? or any document which has a compilation of questions os each topic? Thanks!!

I think this will be the first time there is a separate C4 international paper. Have you done the C4 paper from last June that got leaked?

Are you talking about these: http://www.london-oratory.org/maths/
Original post by Exotica
You do know that AC and BC are the radius because it states that Given that the circle with centre C, cuts the line l1 at A and B.

From this and your previous explanation i think i understand now cheers!
Original post by brittanna

Spoiler

Yes i got everything correct apart from I dont understand where the limits come from, I get limits of 5 and -5 when I make Y=0, to get the 2 X values
please explain
I think this will be the first time there is a separate C4 international paper. Have you done the C4 paper from last June that got leaked?

Are you talking about these: http://www.london-oratory.org/maths/

that's the link! Thanks :biggrin:
No I haven't tried the 2nd c4 paper only the one most people sat
didn't realise there was a 2nd one :redface:
Where can I find this?

Thanks again!!
Original post by Knoyle quiah
Yes i got everything correct apart from I dont understand where the limits come from, I get limits of 5 and -5 when I make Y=0, to get the 2 X values
please explain

Remember that because you're integrating it parametrically, you want to integrate between the θ\theta values. So find the values of θ\theta when y=0. Integrating between these two values will only give you the top half of the ellipse, so you then need to double it. You could also integrate between 00 and 2π2\pi if you wanted to do it all in one go.
Reply 3746
ok , quick question.

on c4 june 2006 , question 6d says to intergrate
(x 1)ln x dx . i multiplied the whole thing , but that was the wrong thing to do. you are supposed to make (lnx) u and (x-1) dv/dx then do by parts. i got the answer , but my question is, why cant you multiply it out and then integrate, is there some rule that stops you from doing this?

here the question paper
https://e8c8970d-a-dbffc5af-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/virtualfoxdistribution.com/sci18-02-13/dir/e/c4/2006%20Jun%20QP.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cowMKrn9sDil2moD42g6nPy-aCQSm_o8SUYv8rnSq9mF_G8dijGpWCuJf23OEF53hMTpsr3oLwLBdL3mAXHrS7NR8IBOqEjMvp_O0nYVFmTVMXnlftZ0jzvXy6svaRumoRHyJ7CfTHguIryQuWqYMSqlQaQQdxjenV-F6pVWZSvoCUO5dQ-Fzs7FbO7kQsYgsiTkuvd2hnG6r_CFtkpc9OrAIN9poJbyL1LxDjtbrGL2ZMV8P1HGGS95SrEYAlo-WSVbO6O&attredirects=0

its 6d
that's the link! Thanks :biggrin:
No I haven't tried the 2nd c4 paper only the one most people sat
didn't realise there was a 2nd one :redface:
Where can I find this?

Thanks again!!

I'm not sure, sorry :frown:. I'll try and find it though, and upload it here if I manage to find it.
Original post by Zaphod77
Think simultaneous equations. If you put (A+B)/2 = 3x and (A-B)/2 = 2x, then can you go from there? :smile:

Ooohhh got it! Thanks!

Btw are we meant to be able to use these formulas to create similar simultaneous equations because we've never been taught this before?
Original post by RYRK
ok , quick question.

(x 1)ln x dx . i multiplied the whole thing , but that was the wrong thing to do. you are supposed to make (lnx) u and (x-1) dv/dx then do by parts. i got the answer , but my question is, why cant you multiply it out and then integrate, is there some rule that stops you from doing this?

here the question paper
https://e8c8970d-a-dbffc5af-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/virtualfoxdistribution.com/sci18-02-13/dir/e/c4/2006%20Jun%20QP.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cowMKrn9sDil2moD42g6nPy-aCQSm_o8SUYv8rnSq9mF_G8dijGpWCuJf23OEF53hMTpsr3oLwLBdL3mAXHrS7NR8IBOqEjMvp_O0nYVFmTVMXnlftZ0jzvXy6svaRumoRHyJ7CfTHguIryQuWqYMSqlQaQQdxjenV-F6pVWZSvoCUO5dQ-Fzs7FbO7kQsYgsiTkuvd2hnG6r_CFtkpc9OrAIN9poJbyL1LxDjtbrGL2ZMV8P1HGGS95SrEYAlo-WSVbO6O&attredirects=0

its 6d

You can multiply it out first, but it makes it a lot harder for yourself because you still have to use by parts, and instead of using them once you have to use them twice! It's just easier to use by parts straight away :smile:
Original post by RYRK
ok , quick question.

here the question paper

its 6d

You can multiply it out and integrate it if you want, it will just take a lot longer as you will be integrating what is essentially the first integral as well as lnx. So you are doing twice as much work.
Ooohhh got it! Thanks!

Btw are we meant to be able to use these formulas to create similar simultaneous equations because we've never been taught this before?

It's in the 'integration using trigonometry' bit in the textbook. There was a whole chunk of questions using it too :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My physics exam is making me not able to do c4 !! :frown: im gnna fail c4 at this rate arghhh !!
I'm not sure, sorry :frown:. I'll try and find it though, and upload it here if I manage to find it.

np, those worksheets should keep me busy for tonight!
I'm just going to practice vectors, integration and connected rates of questions throughout tonight, and tackle 2-3 solomon papers tomorrow

Can't wait to get this exam over and done with, I'm so tired of C4 :frown:
Ooohhh got it! Thanks!

They don't come up very often, but they are technically part of the C3 syllabus (as is deriving them, which by the way is just the double angle formulae - I think it is in the textbook somewhere!). However, we are given them, so if you do see a question like the one you just did it's worth checking through those formulae. It's unlikely it'll come up, but it could do, it's worth knowing just in case :smile:
np, those worksheets should keep me busy for tonight!
I'm just going to practice vectors, integration and connected rates of questions throughout tonight, and tackle 2-3 solomon papers tomorrow

Can't wait to get this exam over and done with, I'm so tired of C4 :frown:

Here you go:

Original post by masryboy94
My physics exam is making me not able to do c4 !! :frown: im gnna fail c4 at this rate arghhh !!

exams mon tues and wed- I know the feeling
just spent 2hours on each and swap :smile: thats all you can do and focus on hard questions/your weak areas.
:smile: its almost over!!
thing is this physics unit i've HARDLLYYY revised for it, so i have aloottt to go throughhh, which is affecting C4 revision :frown: basically im starting C4 TOMORROW !!! so only 2 days C4, hope thats enough, cuz im feeling i forgot C4 ahhh !!!
Reply 3758
Original post by MedMed12
exams mon tues and wed- I know the feeling
just spent 2hours on each and swap :smile: thats all you can do and focus on hard questions/your weak areas.
:smile: its almost over!!

"sigh"
Original post by ACBLISS
"sigh"

:frown: it can only get better, I promise!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending