The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5160
Original post by Tommyjw
All of them?

Its not like i'm just bashing out random stars here. We have proven links to all three.

Yeah I know lol

But I can't see Ronaldo coming (especially since Fergie left) and I refuse to get my hopes up about us signing an actual CM giving we've needed one for a good few years now!
Reply 5161
Original post by zKlown
I refuse to get my hopes up about us signing an actual CM giving we've needed one for a good few years now!

This is probably the first year where we absolutely needed it, in all likelihood we will not have fletcher or anderson next season, as well as losing scholes. We only have Cleverley, carrick and giggs, it would be ridiculous if they didnt sign a new midfielder. I personally would love vidal but i cant see it happening.
Reply 5162
Original post by Tommyjw
Yeah, right. Thats the very logical price range for 28 year old Ronaldo that everyone agrees on. I assume you are naive enough to think it will be like £100m? Not a single logical or reliable pundit, reported, journalist etc thinks Ronaldo would cost much more than £80m, most think lower.

Name me one.

And who predicted that he was going to go to Madrid for £80m in the first place?

Original post by Tommyjw
Well lets see.

Ronaldo is 4 years older than when he joined them.

Ronaldo has two years left on his contract. He had 3 years left when we sold him.

Ronaldo would likely (if he came) be refusing to sign a contract meaning Madrid have two years before he goes for free.

Ronaldo would be forcing himself out much more to an extent than he did with us, decreasing the price.

Yes, logic says .. like everyone who has a clue what they tare talking about agree.. £70 - £80m is the likely range.

RM paid £80m for 3 years service of an inferior player. Like I said, he is more superior now and he will, if he moves provide at least 3 years of superior services than he has for RM so how does that mean he will be cheaper?

Contract length means nothing as long as he's got more than 1 year left and RM don't risk losing him on the Bosman next summer.

Him forcing himself out of United did not in no way decrease his price :lolwut:

Again, bottomless pit of Monaco and PSG who will just inflate his price means he will go for £100m+.
(edited 10 years ago)
RM paid £80m for 3 years service of an inferior player.

4 years

Contract length means nothing as long as he's got more than 1 year left and RM don't risk losing him on the Bosman next summer.

Contract means something in every single transfer ever.

Him forcing himself out of United did not in no way decrease his price :lolwut:

A player who forces themsleves out will decrease player valuation because the club has less say in what goes on , and suiters of the player know they want to leave badly. Its very simple logic.

Again, bottomless pit of Monaco and PSG who will just inflate his price means he will go for £100m+.

What x club will pay =/= what player can be bought for.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 419
Well let's see, an inferior Ronaldo was sold for £80m 3 years ago. Fast forward to now, Ronaldo is now 10x better than he was then. Not to mention the bottomless pit of PSG and Monaco have to spend on him.

Yes, logic says he'll go for £75m :yy:
Assuming he does want to move which is the biggest flaw in any of this, I don't think Monaco stand a chance, they can't offer enough money to make up for a lack of CL football, not to mention the team is all over the shop atm. He'd be 30 by the time he plays a CL knockout again.

PSG would be more likely to be an option, but even then I'm wondering how much PSG can spend. With the tax situation we have a bit of a wage advantage 45% compared to 75%. To get the same package as Zlatan, they would need to pay £47.5 a season in wages. Regardless of the bottomless pit of money, I'm guess the likes of Arsenal and Bayern will be pushing UEFA to do something about a club which would be losing the kind of money they are looking at. Wage bill was 177m euros before Ibra, Thiago Silva, Lavezzi, Verratti & Beckham according the swiss ramble. With the deals of Ibra, Silva and possibly Moura (not sure if includes that) being 47m a season, can they actually afford to add another 50m+ in wages alone before UEFA is pressured into saying enough is enough. The Swiss was predicting they would need to have a massive commercial boost to get close enough to make a case for sustainability, I would think this deal would make that impossible. I guess it depends how confident they are it won't be enforced properly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5165
Original post by Tommyjw
Oh the hypocrisy :tongue:

4 years

Contract means something in every single transfer ever. To deny how important this is is stupidity (though you dont seem to mind that)

Derp. Learn to read. A player who forces themsleves out will decrease player valuation because the club has less say in what goes on , and suiters of the player know they want to leave badly. Its very simple logic.

What x club will pay =/= what player can be bought for.

Failed logic.

Bad post overall tbh.

Rest my case.

Where are the "reliable pundit, reported, journalist etc thinks Ronaldo would cost much more than £80m, most think lower."..... still waiting :cookie:

How did Ronaldo forcing himself out of United reduce his fee to £80m?? Not a single soul said RM under paid for him.
Reply 5166
Original post by doggyfizzel
Assuming he does want to move which is the biggest flaw in any of this, I don't think Monaco stand a chance, they can't offer enough money to make up for a lack of CL football, not to mention the team is all over the shop atm. He'd be 30 by the time he plays a CL knockout again.

PSG would be more likely to be an option, but even then I'm wondering how much PSG can spend. With the tax situation we have a bit of a wage advantage 45% compared to 75%. To get the same package as Zlatan, they would need to pay £47.5 a season in wages. Regardless of the bottomless pit of money, I'm guess the likes of Arsenal and Bayern will be pushing UEFA to do something about a club which would be losing the kind of money they are looking at. Wage bill was 177m euros before Ibra, Thiago Silva, Lavezzi, Verratti & Beckham according the swiss ramble. With the deals of Ibra, Silva and possibly (not sure if includes that) being 47m a season, can they actually afford to add another 50m+ in wages alone before UEFA is pressured into saying enough is enough. The Swiss was predicting they would need to have a massive commercial boost to get close enough to make a case for sustainability, I would think this deal would make that impossible. I guess it depends how confident they are it won't be enforced properly.

Exactly. That is such a massive caveat and makes the whole debate is just really pointless tbh as there's no indication suggesting that he wants to leave- all this coming from a tweet saying he hasn't agreed a new contract, which for all we know is probably to force RM to give him something- maybe more support when it comes to player of the year or hire a manager more favourable to tactics he likes.

With PSG, I feel they'll just take what hit comes along with having Ronaldo as the long term benefit will overwhelmengly out weight the short term punishment. And we are yet to see if FFP is going to be integrated- lets see what happens with Monaco.

All in all, even if he does go to United, I really don't see how it can be seen as logical that he'll go for something in the £80m price range.
Money, money, money. If he wanted to come back, then that is the end of it. Perez can't keep a player who doesn't want to play. Utd have the backing of the Glazers and their sponsors, the revenue and hype from the Ronaldo signing would be intense.

http://metro.co.uk/2010/04/15/cristiano-ronaldo-shirt-sales-have-already-paid-off-80m-fee-to-manchester-united-real-madrid-claim-242129/

That's 80 million in a few years on shirts ALONE.

It is financially viable to get him. We just need to see what he wants first.
As long as we bring in a midfielder, and keep Nani, I'll be happy. The Thiago and Strootman rumours have made my dick hard. Both very different, but either would do.
Rest my case.

You rest your case by ignoring all the wrong points you made? Logic.

Where are the "reliable pundit, reported, journalist etc thinks Ronaldo would cost much more than £80m, most think lower."..... still waiting :cookie:

Neil Custis says atleast £65m

Chris Weeler says £60m.

Miguel Delaney says £50m to £70m

Side Lowe said Madrid expect to get close to the £80m for him.

Multiple places said £65m plus winger

Multiple palces said £80m with Nike involved.

And countless other reports and view about costs ranging from £60m to £80m.

Now i'll await all your information on all the others who believe it would take so much more :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5171
Nani running down the wing
Valencia running down the wing
Zahaa running down the wing
Young ...... he don't even run down the wing

What we signed no more wingers :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5172
It's good that Spain U-21 have got through to the final of U-21 Championship without conceding a goal. Must be a massive confidence boost for de Gea.
Let's hope they're out soon so thiago can say a thing or too
Reply 5174
Original post by Brainiac
Looking back at Ronaldos stats, i was suprised that he scored less in his last season than he did in is penultimate, can anyone remember why this was?

In 2007-2008 he scored 42 goals in 49 appearances
in 2008-2009 he scored 26 goals in 53 appearances

Rooney scored the same amount of goals in both seasons but berbatov joined for the 2008-2009 season and scored 14 goals, maybe thats why.

also just to note, bale scored 26 goals in 44 appearances this season. So statistically he was as good as Ronaldo was in 2008-2009 in a team where he had less chances created for him.

Fitness issues early on...but mainly he wasn't enjoying his football as much. He wanted to go the summer before he did, but agreed (think SAF convinced him) to stay for a year. In fairness to him he still performed excellently for us and gave everything he could, but the Madrid move was basically agreed a year before it actually happened and there was just a little something missing from Ronaldo's game because of it. Was still a beneficial year for us and I think him as well though.
Original post by Louis.
Fitness issues early on...but mainly he wasn't enjoying his football as much. He wanted to go the summer before he did, but agreed (think SAF convinced him) to stay for a year. In fairness to him he still performed excellently for us and gave everything he could, but the Madrid move was basically agreed a year before it actually happened and there was just a little something missing from Ronaldo's game because of it. Was still a beneficial year for us and I think him as well though.

this^

says a lot about how good a player he is that he did so well despite all that tbh, would love him back at the club, still dunno if it will happen though.
Reply 5176
Original post by Tommyjw
You rest your case by ignoring all the wrong points you made? Logic.

Neil Custis says atleast £65m

Chris Weeler says £60m.

Miguel Delaney says £50m to £70m

Side Lowe said Madrid expect to get close to the £80m for him.

Multiple places said £65m plus winger

Multiple palces said £80m with Nike involved.

And countless other reports and view about costs ranging from £60m to £80m.

Now i'll await all your information on all the others who believe it would take so much more :smile:

So basically a bunch of journalist speculating with no quotes in their articles = Credible information.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

It is best if you learn to read English before replying next time. You clearly don't understand what was actually said.

Educate me about how "Ronaldo would be forcing himself out much more to an extent than he did with us, decreasing the price." isn't indicating that a player forcing a move leads to a reduced price.
Reply 5177
What are people's views on the Zaha deal? I'm still unconvinced about him and whether he become one of our key players or end up like Nani/Anderson and not really live up this his hype
Original post by mlw94
What are people's views on the Zaha deal? I'm still unconvinced about him and whether he become one of our key players or end up like Nani/Anderson and not really live up this his hype
I don't understand how you can be convinced or not convinced either way. What are you basing it on? He came from the championship?Why is it worse to take the best player from a championship side that just got promoted than someone who was not or just about breaking a mid/low end PL team? He's got the talent to be a key player, it depends on how he progresses, which could be said of almost any 20 year old.

Tbf, what else was he going to say? "I would have preferred the United job but didn't get it" as someone in the comments says

just like I would have turned down Anna Kournikova if she had asked me to date her instead of Enrique Iglesias. ok, she didn't ask me, but I would have turned her down. honest.

Latest