The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 5 6BI05 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

guys plz somebody help me.... i have revised almost all the stuff from book but when i did exam papers i was only getting about 40-50% .... the thing is wenever i see the markscheme i feel like i knew the answer but didn't write... wat shud i do on dat?????
Reply 701
Original post by hussaincute
guys plz somebody help me.... i have revised almost all the stuff from book but when i did exam papers i was only getting about 40-50% .... the thing is wenever i see the markscheme i feel like i knew the answer but didn't write... wat shud i do on dat?????

Answer every question like you are explaining to a little kid.:biggrin:
Reply 702
Original post by hussaincute

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make sure you are mentioning key words. That's what the examiners look for too and yh write like you were explaining to a kid :tongue:
Reply 703
Original post by nukethemaly
Hi guys don't forget to go over the following:

Spec points (obviously)

General processes of important stuff that comes up every now and again

Definitions

Structures (know them thoroughly enough to be able to spot them on a diagram and know their function)

Specifically go through graph questions on past papers and TIME YOURSELF ON THEM. I reckon those take the longest to do, and I don't think we have enough time for this exam as it is.

Summarise every paragraph of the pre release so once you're asked a question you can quote the paragraph straight away. Whilst you're summarising, make a note of what topics can come up.

DONT FORGET TO REVISE BIG CHUNKS OF AS! I can't stress this enough, especially after the unit 4 exam, had I remembered it was synoptic, I'd have probably performed better.

GOOD LUCK!

AS stuff shouldn't come up on questions other than the article related one, right??
Original post by Nilie
AS stuff shouldn't come up on questions other than the article related one, right??

I'm pretty sure its synoptic because I've seen stuff about the blood vessels pop up :/
Reply 705
Original post by nukethemaly
I'm pretty sure its synoptic because I've seen stuff about the blood vessels pop up :/

that's bad....really bad( my Unit 1,2 and 4 knowledge equaals to zero >_<

Surprisingly for many people, i find this unit much easier that Unit 1 and 4, and somewhere 2 as well =((

How can i learn the whole syllabus in a day??? i'm gonna need some superpowers there...=/
Reply 706
Can someone please explain what we need to know about DNA transcription factors for the exam and if you've seen a past paper question on it. Thanks!
I suggest everyone to do the article questions 1st.

-_- can b sure of 20 marks atleast
Original post by Nilie

Surprisingly for many people, i find this unit much easier that Unit 1 and 4, and somewhere 2 as well =((

How can i learn the whole syllabus in a day??? i'm gonna need some superpowers there...=/

Don't worry- there's still time between now and the exam- which I definitely need!

Yeah does anyone know the main synoptic elements which they test us on?
Original post by Nilie

Just go over the stuff that pops up every now and again, like protein, DNA stuff, the heart, uh, cell cycle and CVDs, etc.
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Don't worry- there's still time between now and the exam- which I definitely need!

Yeah does anyone know the main synoptic elements which they test us on?

Just go over these :smile:
Reply 711
Can someone explain what is transcription factor??
Reply 712
Original post by nomrota95
what is/are the difference(s) between habituation and adaptation? what brings them both about?

no one answered :'( was my question that stupid :colondollar: :frown:

Habituation is becoming habituated to a repeated stimulus, i.e you stop responding to it (the core practical with the snails). Adaptation is related to habituation, as you have adapted to the stimulus, but the definition for adaptation on its own is an alteration or adjustment in structure or habits, often hereditary, by which a species or individual improves its condition in relation to its environment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 714
Original post by ebainbridge

Habituation is becoming habituated to a repeated stimulus, i.e you stop responding to it (the core practical with the snails). Adaptation is related to habituation, as you have adapted to the stimulus, but the definition for adaptation on its own is an alteration or adjustment in structure or habits, often hereditary, by which a species or individual improves its condition in relation to its environment.

thankyou! :smile:
Reply 715

Habituation is when you stop responding to a neutral stimulus. The response is lost for a long period of time (sometimes even permanently) unless you are specifically sensitised to it because the calcium ion channels in your pre-synaptic membrane have become less responsive.

Adaptation is (or at least I think it is) linked with accommodation of the synapses, when your receptor cells adapt to a stimulus they stop sensing it because the neurotransmitters at the synapses need time to be re-synthesised, but if you remove the stimulus for a while then bring it back the neurotransmitters are replaced so you can sense it again.

I look at the difference as habituation being long-term loss of response and adaptation as short-term loss of response.
okay so there are no jan 2010 papers for this unit..isnt it?
Original post by RnTf
Can someone explain what is transcription factor??

Transcription factors control the transcription of the genes. They travel to the nucleus from cytoplasm and can either activate transcription or stop transcription.

We have to know there are two types of transcription factors - Activators and Repressors.

Activators stimulate transcription of genes. they help RNA polymerase bind to the target gene thus activates transcription.
Repressor inhibits transcription of genes. they bind to target genes thus preventing RNA polymerase from binding to it. thus, transcription stops.

- RNA polymerase catalyses the transcription of genes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by iwantopas19
okay so there are no jan 2010 papers for this unit..isnt it?

Nope, just 7 papers from june 10-now + a specimen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys think we need to know the structure of the eye?

Is chemiosmosis basically just oxidative phosphorylation/ETC or is it more?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending