The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

3 days til placement is over!
Original post by smartarse1983
3 days til placement is over!

Yes! :biggrin: Same here.

Unfortunately my brain has now shut down in anticipation of the course ending and I have no motivation to do any work whatsoever. Shame about the 2 lessons I still need to plan for tomorrow...
I'm not sure if I want to do tbis anymore.

I've been offered a new job and i don't know what to do. Is the grass really greener elsewhere?

The good points are that I'd be in charge of my owb classes and get paid holidays. However it means relocating.

What do i do?
I finished my final placement today! I have a morning of university tomorrow and then I'm done!! Ahh!! Cannot believe that the end is here! I've been so lucky and was given a job at my first placement school which I absolutely LOVED so I'm over the moon and had excellents in everything today :biggrin: o glad it's over though! It's been a ridiculously difficult year!!

I'm so sorry that some of you have had everything bad happen at once :frown: It always comes together! Just keep pushing through it. You're so close to the end now!
Original post by angel_night
I finished my final placement today! I have a morning of university tomorrow and then I'm done!! Ahh!! Cannot believe that the end is here! I've been so lucky and was given a job at my first placement school which I absolutely LOVED so I'm over the moon and had excellents in everything today :biggrin: o glad it's over though! It's been a ridiculously difficult year!!

I'm so sorry that some of you have had everything bad happen at once :frown: It always comes together! Just keep pushing through it. You're so close to the end now!

Congrats!! And more so because you have a job. How did you get the job? Did they tell you to apply or just offer it and when was this? It's nice to read success stories :smile:
Original post by Mr Advice
Congrats!! And more so because you have a job. How did you get the job? Did they tell you to apply or just offer it and when was this? It's nice to read success stories :smile:

Thank you :smile:. I had my first placement there, October to February. I applied for a job the week I left and the following week the school called m and asked me to come in to talk to them. They said that a job should be coming up, but it wasn't 100% but that they really wanted to me. I pulled out of the interview for the job I had applied for and played a waiting game with my placement school, each month having everything more and more certain until it was finally 100% confirmed last Tuesday :smile:. I was lucky and the governors approved me as the senior management team had really wanted me and I had done well there and on my final placement,vso I didn't have to have am interview or teach an observation lesson. Could have ended in disaster if it had all fallen through as I didn't apply for anything else, but worked out thankfully!

There are loads of success stories! I promise. Though I'm not going to lie! It is a really tough year! It's continuously pressurised, stressful and challenging and the paper work is insane, but it is worth it :smile:
Reply 2186
my sister needs some help with aap - can you provide any guidance?
Reply 2187
I had just written a long intro by the way and then lost it...try again - reason for asking for help is that she has had no help from tutor or class teacher, she asked asked, but this has made it worse I found out tonight...she takes so long to do anything, she just needs some advice on how to tackle these aap (assessment of the pupil against NC I think....sure you know!) G
Reply 2188
Original post by glnk
my sister needs some help with aap - can you provide any guidance?

Original post by glnk
I had just written a long intro by the way and then lost it...try again - reason for asking for help is that she has had no help from tutor or class teacher, she asked asked, but this has made it worse I found out tonight...she takes so long to do anything, she just needs some advice on how to tackle these aap (assessment of the pupil against NC I think....sure you know!) G

APP (Assessing Pupil Progress) :smile:

Our tutors have advised us that, basically, don't try to assess children one by one by filling in the tracker and ticking off each thing. Just use them as guidelines, mainly to help you get a feel for what the levels actually mean because the level descriptors in the curriculum are so vague/broad!

Has your sister been told she has to fill it in for certain children?

xxx
Phew! Placement over at last.

Feel like I should be celebrating but right now I can only handle tea and chocolate! Out for a meal with people from my course later though, then just one week 'til it's all over! :biggrin:
Tuesday is my last day in university! Can't believe how quickly it has gone! I've finished my assignment now just have to sort out appendices, printing it etc!
Original post by StarBabyCat
Tuesday is my last day in university! Can't believe how quickly it has gone! I've finished my assignment now just have to sort out appendices, printing it etc!

Me too :smile: What uni are you at? I've still got a bit of paperwork to finish but nearly there...
Reply 2192
Is anyone on here studying the Physics and Mathematics PGCE? I'm planning on applying for 2014, but have a few questions to ask.
Reply 2193
Original post by 3 kpwxx
APP (Assessing Pupil Progress) :smile:

Our tutors have advised us that, basically, don't try to assess children one by one by filling in the tracker and ticking off each thing. Just use them as guidelines, mainly to help you get a feel for what the levels actually mean because the level descriptors in the curriculum are so vague/broad!

Has your sister been told she has to fill it in for certain children?

xxx

Thanks.
She has been told general idea of all kids but focus on three to write reports...any tips on getting a good general overview. Thanks so much for respomdin
Reply 2194
Original post by glnk
Thanks.
She has been told general idea of all kids but focus on three to write reports...any tips on getting a good general overview. Thanks so much for respomdin

Hmm well I guess my best advice is, don't be too picky, you have to use what evidence you have.

Just gather all that Childs books and work and go through each... Is there evidence of that objective?

It is a tough one... I guess the thing is just think it needs evidence. There may be something you think that child can do but at the end of the day you need evidence of that when you're doing app, so the child may come up as a lower level than you think.

Hopefully someone else on here can be a bit more help than me, as I am an early years person so for half of my course my assessment was entirely based on observations and there was no marking, levels etc, you just had to know your children really well!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cannot wait to have my debrief out of the way next Thursday! I have to do 3 extra days on placement but I don't care!
What do you guys wear on your school placement? I'm particularly intrigued to know what the men in primary schools wear? I'm guessing it's not a full blown suit.
Reply 2197
Original post by Mr Advice
What do you guys wear on your school placement? I'm particularly intrigued to know what the men in primary schools wear? I'm guessing it's not a full blown suit.

It really, really does depend on the school. In both my placements I've just worn plain coloured tops/t-shirts with black trousers or skirt and coloured tights. So plain and neat but not really smart.

My current male teaching partner wears plain long sleeve tops and Chinos. Definitely not a suit! I can't imagine getting stick in with young children in a suit (except perhaps at interview) but there are no doubt some schools where you have to.

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
My final day at university! Assignment handed in! Woo! Obvs I still have the numeracy test but still....can't believed it's going to be all over!
Handed my evidence folder in yesterday and have just had confirmation from my university tutor that I am now free to 'bin to your hearts content'.

I wonder how many rubbish bags all my folders will fill?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending