The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soncheese
Bro same same I need 70-80 ums

Not feeling confident at all I got RG university riding on this exam!

It's not the subject it's just the way the exams written by aqa! Smh :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

For both of you I'm sure this is stressful, but you can do it! If you need 70-80UMS thats like a D and I'm sure there aren't many RG unis giviong out D offers so you must have done well in other units to make up a UMS cushion.

Just try and sit the exam as calmly as you can- try and spew as many scietific words/terms as possible and also when you're answering HSW try and stick to things you know will get marks for- so for instance, when evaluating graphs I always talk about the correlation and how it relates to the premise (or conclusion if you must) that the "scientists" make based on the data. There is always a mark for that, for instance.

For the essay as well, the most points are for scientific content, so even if you feel it isn't flowing as an English or History essay is, you can still get alot of marks. You get 3 marks for just being on topic and 3 for having reasonable structure and good English.

Good luck both of you :smile:
Original post by AspiringGenius
For both of you I'm sure this is stressful, but you can do it! If you need 70-80UMS thats like a D and I'm sure there aren't many RG unis giviong out D offers so you must have done well in other units to make up a UMS cushion.

Just try and sit the exam as calmly as you can- try and spew as many scietific words/terms as possible and also when you're answering HSW try and stick to things you know will get marks for- so for instance, when evaluating graphs I always talk about the correlation and how it relates to the premise (or conclusion if you must) that the "scientists" make based on the data. There is always a mark for that, for instance.

For the essay as well, the most points are for scientific content, so even if you feel it isn't flowing as an English or History essay is, you can still get alot of marks. You get 3 marks for just being on topic and 3 for having reasonable structure and good English.

Good luck both of you :smile:

I know I know thank you :smile:

How long should I spend on the essay? Including the plan

Your recommendation

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3162
Hi,
does anyone have any sort of predictions for the essay titles?
i know you can never be sure but it would really help me :-)
Thanks
Ahhh, would someone please explain to me how to do all of question 8 on the June 2012 paper?
It's the question about the electrophresis gel I think it's called?

We haven't had this explained to us - I have no idea how it works and how you know what the strips tell you.

I'd really appreciate any help with this.
Thanks much xo Good luck for tomorrow!
Original post by James A
Spot on mate.

It does intrigue me as to why the power stroke doesn't require energy, but hey, bio is a mystery at times!

I thought the release of ADP and Pi causes the power stroke/flexion
Reply 3165
Original post by Anjna
good question. anyone?

I don't know if this is the same question I'm thinking of
But at the time I think it was because not all of them developed the cancer or tumour so that means it was benign or malignant
Reply 3166
Original post by ActaNonVerba
I see what you mean, but if they didn't do synopsis then it would be just a case of "who can remember the most", synopsis is good because it distinguishes people who know, from people who understand.. I get your point on the 4 past papers though, that's not on at all

What's synopsis lol
Reply 3167
Original post by omidsassy
i need like 80 ish to be safe (for a B) and im not confident AT ALL. all thanks to this essay ****. im a third year and i got UCL riding on frikkin bio. not exactly like i can take another year out. manz gonna get sent off to military school in iran no joke lmao

I neeed 80 on this for UCL too haha, I hate this essay so much!! I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed UCL
Reply 3168
I know this sounds a tad stupid but I'm not sure, in the essay say that it was on the digestive system or carbohydrates, and you wrote about how glucose is made in the digestive system when carbohydrates are hydrolysed into monosacharrides so you amylase starch maltose maltase maltose glucose sucrase sucrose fructose + glucose etc etc also in the small intestine when chyme is neutralised by bile and pancreatic juice to form glucose and amino acids, could you then go on to talk about how glucose is used in respiration you know glycolysis blah blah this produces ATP which release energu for many body processes, and then go onto describing muscle contraction in detail or active transport? Or would you lose marks? Cuz technically you're showing the use of carbs (glucose) in the body how its produced, used in resp and how ATP as a result provides energy for many processes...
Reply 3169
anyone else not feeling ready for this exam? :frown::s-smilie:
best descrition of negative/ positive feedback?
Reply 3171
Original post by YWArtist
I know this sounds a tad stupid but I'm not sure, in the essay say that it was on the digestive system or carbohydrates, and you wrote about how glucose is made in the digestive system when carbohydrates are hydrolysed into monosacharrides so you amylase starch maltose maltase maltose glucose sucrase sucrose fructose + glucose etc etc also in the small intestine when chyme is neutralised by bile and pancreatic juice to form glucose and amino acids, could you then go on to talk about how glucose is used in respiration you know glycolysis blah blah this produces ATP which release energu for many body processes, and then go onto describing muscle contraction in detail or active transport? Or would you lose marks? Cuz technically you're showing the use of carbs (glucose) in the body how its produced, used in resp and how ATP as a result provides energy for many processes...

I don't see that being a problem as glucose is a carbohydrate itself, so mentioning processes including carbohydrates, like respiration including glucose would be great. I'm not sure I'd advise talking in-depth about muscle contraction/active transport using the ATP as you'd start to be getting off-topic. Just a quick listing of some of the processes dependent on ATP would be fine. Always look back to the title and keep reminding yourself what to stick to. You won't want to be wasting any precious time!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Blob2491
I thought the release of ADP and Pi causes the power stroke/flexion

Yeah but I would have imagined that the breaking of ATP would cause the power stroke (as atp releases energy).
Reply 3173
Wow, nearly 160pages worth of discussion for one exam. I'm only having one BIOL5 revision day, today. Too many exams!
STRESSING.
Original post by James A
Yeah but I would have imagined that the breaking of ATP would cause the power stroke (as atp releases energy).

ATP causes myosin to detach and then the hydrolysis of ATP to ADP and Pi enables myosin to reattach and then their release causes the power stroke and enables another ATP to bind
Reply 3175
What would you include for movement and transport? Phospholipid bilayer, active transport, facilitated diffusion, muscle contractions, nervous impulses, water movement, photosynthesis, respiration?
Original post by Blob2491
ATP causes myosin to detach and then the hydrolysis of ATP to ADP and Pi enables myosin to reattach and then their release causes the power stroke and enables another ATP to bind

Yes I know all of that, I was just curious as to why the actual power stroke doesn't require energy because that seems like the step that would require the most energy
When do you talk about threshold values... with recepeptors? Eg. Is it if the threshold value is reached does a generator potential occur??????
Original post by YWArtist
What would you include for movement and transport? Phospholipid bilayer, active transport, facilitated diffusion, muscle contractions, nervous impulses, water movement, photosynthesis, respiration?

(Glucose) Co Transport.
Original post by katiep93
Hi,
does anyone have any sort of predictions for the essay titles?
i know you can never be sure but it would really help me :-)
Thanks

I thought maybe something to do with these topics:
Water / Osmosis
Movement of substances
Energy transfers
ATP use
They haven't come up yet and are on the synoptic specification :smile:
I don't like any of them if they do come up! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending