The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Could someone help me on june 2012 section A

i am finding it hard to write in terms of matchd pair design..

HELP PLEASE :'(((((((
Reply 321
Original post by Aliyaa
How are you working this out? o.o Because surely, if 320/400 UMS is an A and you currently have 289 UMS, why would you need 70/80 raws in the exam?? 320-289 is only 31 UMS so you'd need more like 20/80 to get your A, surely? o:

I know I only need 31 ums more, but that's after having done all my exams, im just retaking one of them to get the A. and in the exam that im retaking I already have 69/100 ums so 31 more is exactlyyyy how much I can get so I need full marks! Got it? :biggrin:
Does anybody know the structure for writing a research question? My mind's gone blank >.<
Reply 323
Original post by Asyfa
Could someone help me on june 2012 section A

i am finding it hard to write in terms of matchd pair design..

HELP PLEASE :'(((((((

Match them on their maths' abilities by looking at their GCSE Maths grade? :smile: (If you're doing the one with effect of music on maths ability or something)
Reply 324
What studies is everyone using for developmental and behaviourism? Also i'm confused at how Thigpen and cleckley is psychodynamic I thought it was individual differences?
Reply 325
Guys is it actually possible they do ask you to design a case study? I have no idea how to ..
Reply 326
Original post by sonia___x
What studies is everyone using for developmental and behaviorism? Also i'm confused at how Thigpen and cleckley is psychodynamic I thought it was individual differences?

Developmental : Farrington, Freud and Bandura
Behaviorism :Milgrim, Bandura
^ I am using those.

Thigpen and Cleckley is both Individual and Psychodynamic
Reply 327
Original post by aisha302
Developmental : Farrington, Freud and Bandura
Behaviorism :Milgrim, Bandura
^ I am using those.

Thigpen and Cleckley is both Individual and Psychodynamic

thanks!
Reply 328
Strengths of the psychodynamic approach anyone?
Reply 329
I have a very strong feeling that section B will have validity and psychodynamic approach
Reply 330
Original post by Cryl

This should help you all:

http://quizlet.com/8294726/psychological-approaches-strengths-and-weaknesses-flash-cards/

:smile:
Reply 331
Original post by Cryl

It often uses a longitudinal case study method with one participant (idiographic approach), this allows for in depth qualitative data. This data allows for reasoning behind behaviours.

It also allows recognition of childhood as a critical development period, this is because of Freud and the psycho sexual stages etc.
Reply 332
Can someone please help me for a structure to do self-report research questions? thanks
Original post by Aliyaa
Freud is psychodynamic and developmental rather than ID o:

Oh of course. But my teacher gave me this in note form. She confuses me. :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 334
Original post by sonia___x
What studies is everyone using for developmental and behaviourism? Also i'm confused at how Thigpen and cleckley is psychodynamic I thought it was individual differences?

Thigpen and Cleckley is psychodynamic because the three personalities relate to the three unconscious stages, Eve Black is the ID, Eve White is the Ego and Jane is the Superego :smile: hope that helps :smile:
Does anyone have any idea as to what could come up as an approach in Section B? Or do you think we may get two issues?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 336

Original post by RazBB
It often uses a longitudinal case study method with one participant (idiographic approach), this allows for in depth qualitative data. This data allows for reasoning behind behaviours.

It also allows recognition of childhood as a critical development period, this is because of Freud and the psycho sexual stages etc.

Ooh. Thanks, guys!
Can someone please help me with Section B question B? because I feel like I am writing way too much detail for it. Does anyone know exactly what part of the studies we have to include to get 8/8
Reply 338
If we ignore the fact that no approaches/perspectives came up in the last exam, do you think I'll be safe on revising just approaches/perspectives heavily? and just briefly looking over the methodology and debates?
Reply 339
Original post by lankan-gurl
Does anyone know how much detail we are supposed to write in terms of section B where they ask you to describe two studies that fit a certain approach/perspective/debate/issue? Because if we are to put aim/procedure/results/conclusion surely that would be too much for both studies that are only 4 marks each?

You say why it studies the approach (or topic) asked by the question
E.g: Describe two cognitive approach studies, say why it studies the cognitive approach, then state the aim and outline the procedure, I don't think you need statistics but as long as you include the key steps you'll be fine. Then for findings and conclusions, state a main finding of the study, and then give the overall conclusion :smile:

Here's one I got 8/8 for through my teacher.

One example of a study with high ecological validity would be the study by Piliavin. This was a field experiment that looked at the effect of different cultured victims, in different conditions, on the likelihood of someone helping the victim. Victims were either black or white, in smart or rough clothes, they were also either "Ill" or "drunk". They had to feign collapsing on a subway to try and see if people would help them. It was found that ill people were helped the most, along with smart businessmen. Concluding that the condition of the victim has an effect on helping behaviour. This has high ecological validity because it was conducted without participant knowledge, and so was just part of their everyday lives, making it extremely realistic.
Another example of high ecological validity is in Keating et al, this study was where a mass media campaign was published in Nigeria and the aim was to look at it's effect on behaviour towards contraception and HIV prevention. It was asked whether they heard it on the radio, read it in the news or in health booklets, or saw it on TV. It was found that people had increased knowledge on HIV but no change in behaviour took place. Concluding that as well as a campaign, practical advice is needed. This has high ecological validity because media campaigns are around us all the time. The only artificiality of the situation was people asking about behaviours, people were not forced to change and so could continue living as normal, meaning the study maintained mundane realism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending