The Student Room Group

A level philosophy

I'm looking to take a level philosophy however I just looked at the exam results for philosophy at the college I intend to go to and it appears no one achieved an A*. This college is the top college in my area so I'm worried that a level philosophy is really hard (compared to others). Does anyone know if this could just be at this particular college or if it actually is a significantly hard a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I had a few friends that took philosophy and they all got either an E and a U and ended up dropping it in their second year.
So by the looks of it it's a hard subject but as long as you work hard at it and are committed you should go for it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Well I'm in 11 and have done the philosophy AS already so here's what I think: It's not easy but if you enjoy the deeper meaning of things and find the metaphysical interesting you can't go wrong. In terms of the work load there isn't huge amount of writing just making notes on given material. The worst
part is that some things can be incredibly tricky to get your head around and require you to keep going back to them over the course of a few weeks but once you have the fundamental idea it gets a whole lot easier.

I would say you need to be pretty decent at English just because of the essay style exams but apart from that it really is a good subject to take. Good grades aren't easy to get but not impossible ( in unit 1 I got a C) but I had to juggle GCSEs at the same time so if you do it a college you can get an A if that's what you're aiming for and you work hard enough.
Reply 3
Original post by BeckySheppard
I'm looking to take a level philosophy however I just looked at the exam results for philosophy at the college I intend to go to and it appears no one achieved an A*. This college is the top college in my area so I'm worried that a level philosophy is really hard (compared to others). Does anyone know if this could just be at this particular college or if it actually is a significantly hard a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just finished philosophy A level after getting a top mark at AS. At my college (an average state college) the philosophy class was one of the best performing of all the subjects taken by students in our year. Just thought I'd throw that out there as a contrast to what you've heard.

However, a few people got poor marks, but not due to the subject being hard. Instead, I think it was because they either didn't revise the material, or went completely off topic in the exam. So that would be my tip of you do take it: keep everything relevant to the question in the exam, write clearly, and you'll be fine! :smile:

Philosophy is an extremely rewarding subject. I am going off to do physics, but I enjoyed philosophy so much that I'll keep it as a hobby throughout my life I think. Don't be afraid to challenge your beliefs though. Nobody appreciates the person who gets offended when somebody attacks their beliefs. Instead, be prepared to either reevaluate or defend them! Good luck! :smile:
Get the "A*" business out of your head. Regardless if it's English Literature of Philosophy - to get an A* in any subject is extremely difficult. You need to get 90% of an A in your AS and over 95% of an A in your A2 year to be rewarded an A* overall, which is really difficult.

Personally, I love philosophy but I find it to be my hardest subject out of History, English Language, and English Literature. I think it's because of how it's written that's why I find it hard.

A-levels will be challenging, but more challenging to others depending on capability. Start by liking the subject and working towards the target the teacher gives you, then start working towards a REALISTIC target that you THINK you can achieve and not what you WANT to achieve.

I want to achieve an A in my English Lit, but is it realistic for me? No it is not. I can achieve a C, possibly a B, but definitely a C. And I have accepted that and I am happy with that.

To aim high, you have to start low!
Reply 5
Original post by Cool_JordH
You need to get 90% of an A in your AS and over 95% of an A in your A2 year to be rewarded an A* overall, which is really difficult.

This is completely wrong. You need over 90% in A2 and over 80% overall. So you could get 70% at AS and 90% at A2 and still get an A*. Nowhere does 95% appear and you certainly do not need 90% at AS.
Original post by not_a_dog
This is completely wrong. You need over 90% in A2 and over 80% overall. So you could get 70% at AS and 90% at A2 and still get an A*. Nowhere does 95% appear and you certainly do not need 90% at AS.

I do stand correct, I apologise.

Plus, let's be honest who would get lower on AS and then higher on A2 when A2 is way more difficult than AS? (without any exceptions).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Cool_JordH
I do stand correct, I apologise.

Plus, let's be honest who would get lower on AS and then higher on A2 when A2 is way more difficult than AS? (without any exceptions).

Reading my post I came across a little snappy, it was not intended :P There is no need to apologise!
Very true, it's much harder to hit 90% this year (I've just finished A2 by the way) I found.
Reply 8
It is not particularly difficult, it is just poorly marked. Look at some of the exemplar essays on the AQA website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending