The Student Room Group

Does my GCSE BTEC count towards my 5 a* to c?

Hi there,

I wanted to know this for a really long time so thats why I am here.

These are the following grades I got for GCSE -

Product Design - C
Electronics - D
Maths - D (Currently Retaking)
English D (Currently Retaking)
BTEC Science - Merit
BTEC ICT - Merit
R.E - E
Geography - D
German - A

I want to do computing for University the reason why I am retaking Maths and English currently in Sixth form. I wanted to ask if my BTEC counts towards my 5 a* to c because currently I have two and thats very bad.
I am not sure how the universities look at it but depending on the level of the BTEC i think it has an equivalent to GSCE'S/A-LEVEL (I dunno what grade though) I think that has something to do with the points given but higher levels though.

What Level is your BTEC ? ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Yes :smile: Are these the only GCSE's you've done? You currently only have 4 A-C grades not including English and Maths?
Reply 3
Original post by Jophesxi
Yes :smile: Are these the only GCSE's you've done? You currently only have 4 A-C grades not including English and Maths?

4? But how? This does not include English and Maths as I got D's.
Reply 4
Original post by ConsiderScience
I am not sure how the universities look at it but depending on the level of the BTEC i think it has an equivalent to GSCE'S/A-LEVEL (I dunno what grade though) I think that has something to do with the points given but higher levels though.

What Level is your BTEC ? ?

I did BTEC Level 2
Reply 5
Original post by Sinny96
4? But how? This does not include English and Maths as I got D's.

Oh wait - Do the science and ICT BTEC'S count as 2/3/4 GCSE's each? I can't remember.

English is two isn't it? And maths is one.
Ok so according to the internet A merit is a B and a level 2 is suppose to be the equivalent to 2 GSCE'S.

Source
Reply 7
This is where I get very confused. I need to talk to a teacher about this but they give completely different stories to what the other teachers say.
Reply 8
Original post by Sinny96
Hi there,

Product Design - C
Electronics - D
BTEC Science - Merit
BTEC ICT - Merit
R.E - E
Geography - D
German - A

I want to do computing for University the reason why I am retaking Maths and English currently in Sixth form. I wanted to ask if my BTEC counts towards my 5 a* to c because currently I have two and thats very bad.

BTECs come in different sizes and levels, hence some of the confused answers. Level 2 is officially equivalent to a GCSE Grades A*-C. The BTEC you have done could be the size of 1,2 3 or 4 GCSEs - you would have to check with your school or look on your results slip (look in the RH column of your results slip - a merit would be worth 46 points if it is 1 GCSE worth, 96 for 2, and 192 for 4.)

Whether a university would care how many GCSEs you have, or would count the BTEC is another matter entirely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Well I want to do something computing related at Kingston University.

The two a-levels or equivelant is not a issue but the 5 A* to C might be a big issue, so I need to find out if I got these 5A* to C. I will definitely get a C on maths and maybe if I'm really lucky C on english as well.
Reply 10
Original post by Sinny96
Well I want to do something computing related at Kingston University.

The two a-levels or equivelant is not a issue but the 5 A* to C might be a big issue, so I need to find out if I got these 5A* to C. I will definitely get a C on maths and maybe if I'm really lucky C on english as well.

If they will count 'two A levels or equivalent' then they will probably accept '5 A*-C GCSEs or equivalent' but you will have to ask them to be certain.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Jophesxi
Oh wait - Do the science and ICT BTEC'S count as 2/3/4 GCSE's each? I can't remember.

English is two isn't it? And maths is one.

I believe English is only 2 if you enter for English language and English literature, some people only do English language, thus only counting as 1 (this may not be the situation here of course)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
u got E for RE im in year 10 and i got a B
Original post by Sinny96
Hi there,

Product Design - C
Electronics - D
BTEC Science - Merit
BTEC ICT - Merit
R.E - E
Geography - D
German - A

Level 2 BTECs are considered the same level as a GCSE. They come in different sizes, from memory: Award (1 GCSE), certificate (2), Extended certificate (3), diploma (4) but for school league tables they only count as one each and many other places may do the same. I suggest you ask universirites where you are considering applying hw they would view them.
Reply 14
Lol
Hi, can I ask (6 years after the thread started) how did you get on?
Reply 16
Are level 2 BTEC extended certificate equilvant to 2 GCSE's?? bcz I'm so confused and will sixth forms count my level 2 BTEC extended certificate as 2 GCSE's?? I need 5 gcse's to get into the sixth form I applied to and I currently have 3 gcse's and waiting for my btec result. will btec count as 2?
Don't resurrect threads that are totally out of date and so now inaccurate. You'd have to ask the 6th form, or check with the information they gave you when you applied - many will not count a BTEC as worth more than a single GCSE

Latest