The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What do people think may come up in the essays?. hard to predict with only 3 past papers as there is still a lot they haven't covered but yeah, what do you think? ?????
Reply 3281
Original post by ecokid
I need 50ums more for my overall B grade. I have the grades from all the other modules.So anyone guess roughly how many marks 50ums is likely to be?

50 ums was an E grade last year.

Source: http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF
Original post by benharris94
What do people think may come up in the essays?. hard to predict with only 3 past papers as there is still a lot they haven't covered but yeah, what do you think? ?????

ATP I reckon or cell functions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3283
Original post by currydud
not all hormones are, testosterone is a hormone but not a protein :smile:

Original post by James A
Not all are.

Adrenaline isn't a protein. It's a carbohydrate.

Cheeeeers :smile:
Any ideas on what the essay might be ?
I'm a bit confused with gel electrophoreisis, I understand the further the fragments move, the smaller they but i'm a but confused about the terminator base thing, is is related to this or completely different?
Reply 3286
Original post by kingpro88
Any ideas on what the essay might be ?

I suspect it will be on ATP, however it is hard to know as there has been sop few papers /: But i've found the best way to revise for the essay at this stage is to learn the synoptic cycles from unit 4 etc as they tend to be applicable to most questions in some way or another :smile:
Reply 3287
Can anyone tell me how the oestrous cycle could be an example of both negative and positive feedback? :smile:
Reply 3288
Original post by bad8oy
Complementary T cells bind to antigen expressed on phagocyte
Stimulates the division of T cells by mitosis. Develope to form memory cells and cytotoxic T cells that produce a toxin that make holes in membrane of pathogen.
Also divide into T helper cells.

B cells then take up antigen of pathogen and express it on surface
T helper cell binds to it activating the B cells which now divide by mitosis to form memory B cells and plasma B cells.
Plasma cells produce Y shaped antibodies and complementary to antigen and form antigen antibody complexes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where is this? :s its nowhere in the cgp revision guide
Reply 3289
Original post by Starlight94
I'm a bit confused with gel electrophoreisis, I understand the further the fragments move, the smaller they but i'm a but confused about the terminator base thing, is is related to this or completely different?

I struggle with gel electrophoresis too, what i find difficult is understanding the difference in restriction mapping and DNA sequencing. I assume the terminator base is the base that stops the DNA sequence, similarly to a stop code?
Original post by YWArtist

Its Unit 1 knowledge (Nelson thornes)
Reply 3291
Original post by LegendX
Hi guys, here is an essay of which, by an examiners standards would easily score full marks.

are there any more examples? :smile:
Reply 3292
Original post by krane
Can anyone tell me how the oestrous cycle could be an example of both negative and positive feedback? :smile:

negative feedback: when small amounts of oestrogen is beiung released by fsh, the uterus lining begins to build up and so inhibits the release of fsh (and lh) from glands

positive feedback: oestrogen stimulates gland to release LH and FSH which further stimulates the ovaries to release oestrogen

negative feedback: LH stimulates the corpus luteum to develop which produces progesterone. progesterone inhibits further release of LH
Reply 3293
Original post by krane

FSH stimulates the creation of new follicle, new follicle secretes oestrogen, low levels of oestrogen then inhibit FSH and LH (negative feedback)

As the follicle grows more, by around day 10 higher levels of oestrogen is produced, this causes the inhibition to be reversed, so now oestrogen stimulates FSH and LH (positive feedback)

Later on, after ovulation the corpus leutum (formed by LH) secretes progesterone, progesterone inhibits FSH and LH (negative feedback)
Reply 3294
Original post by YWArtist

Revision guide misses to much stuff.
It's in nelson thornes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3295
I find restriction mapping, gene sequencing, dna probes all so confusing :s-smilie: anyone got any simple notes on that topic? I get confused about why they are used ect
Reply 3296
Has anyone got a list of all the synoptic topics they could ask us about in the essay?
anyone think there might be a chance the essay could be on mutation?
Reply 3298
Guys, are neurotransmitters proteins?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3299
Original post by massi1296
anyone think there might be a chance the essay could be on mutation?

If it was that it would probably be variation in living organisms. Or maybe consequences of mutation??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending