The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by lankan-gurl
Can someone please help me with Section B question B? because I feel like I am writing way too much detail for it. Does anyone know exactly what part of the studies we have to include to get 8/8

Seconded. That really confuses me too! I hope to briefly summarise the study and put some findings. I wouldn't go into much detail.
Reply 341
I'm stressing out revising for this exam cause I just don't have time to revise everything! So far i've revised Individual Differences and Behaviourist Perspective! I need to revise Psychodynamic but don't know if its worth revising Physiological or Developmental?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 342
Does anyone know an A2 field study apart from Meichenbaum?

Edit: never mind. Got one: Fisher.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RazBB
You say why it studies the approach (or topic) asked by the question
E.g: Describe two cognitive approach studies, say why it studies the cognitive approach, then state the aim and outline the procedure, I don't think you need statistics but as long as you include the key steps you'll be fine. Then for findings and conclusions, state a main finding of the study, and then give the overall conclusion :smile:

Here's one I got 8/8 for through my teacher.

One example of a study with high ecological validity would be the study by Piliavin. This was a field experiment that looked at the effect of different cultured victims, in different conditions, on the likelihood of someone helping the victim. Victims were either black or white, in smart or rough clothes, they were also either "Ill" or "drunk". They had to feign collapsing on a subway to try and see if people would help them. It was found that ill people were helped the most, along with smart businessmen. Concluding that the condition of the victim has an effect on helping behaviour. This has high ecological validity because it was conducted without participant knowledge, and so was just part of their everyday lives, making it extremely realistic.
Another example of high ecological validity is in Keating et al, this study was where a mass media campaign was published in Nigeria and the aim was to look at it's effect on behaviour towards contraception and HIV prevention. It was asked whether they heard it on the radio, read it in the news or in health booklets, or saw it on TV. It was found that people had increased knowledge on HIV but no change in behaviour took place. Concluding that as well as a campaign, practical advice is needed. This has high ecological validity because media campaigns are around us all the time. The only artificiality of the situation was people asking about behaviours, people were not forced to change and so could continue living as normal, meaning the study maintained mundane realism.

Oh Ok thanks :smile:
Original post by mkhan9035
I'm stressing out revising for this exam cause I just don't have time to revise everything! So far i've revised Individual Differences and Behaviourist Perspective! I need to revise Psychodynamic but don't know if its worth revising Physiological or Developmental?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think its likely that an approach will definitely come up in section B this time because in Jan 2 issues/debates came up so would it be risky revising just the approaches/perspectives?
Original post by Cryl
Seconded. That really confuses me too! I hope to briefly summarise the study and put some findings. I wouldn't go into much detail.

Are you revising over everything in section B or do you think an approach/perspective could come up? regardless of what happened in the Jan paper?
Reply 346
Are you revising over everything in section B or do you think an approach/perspective could come up? regardless of what happened in the Jan paper?

I *think* it's best to revise the two perspectives, particularly behaviourist because I think that may come up. But I'm really struggling on psychodynamic. I don't have much studies for it.

I'm not really going over the debates - I'm going over the main ones such as free will and nurture, but I'm mainly focusing on approaches and section A. Good luck :smile:
Reply 347
Do you think its likely that an approach will definitely come up in section B this time because in Jan 2 issues/debates came up so would it be risky revising just the approaches/perspectives?

Well they last asked an approach obviously in June 2012 and it is slightly risky, but i can't be bothered revising physiological/developmental! I'm just gonna revise Behaviourist/Psychodynamic/Individual Differences and revise Reductionism and Determinism and go over Case Studies and Observations that's all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cryl
I *think* it's best to revise the two perspectives, particularly behaviourist because I think that may come up. But I'm really struggling on psychodynamic. I don't have much studies for it.

I'm not really going over the debates - I'm going over the main ones such as free will and nurture, but I'm mainly focusing on approaches and section A. Good luck :smile:

Oh ok so do you think I should revise approaches/perspectives and then the main debates but leave out issues such as ecological validity and ethics?

Do you know what you would write if they asked us to conduct a correlational study in Section A, I really hope that they don't ask for a correlation that would be my worst nightmare.

Oh for the psychodynamic perspective you could use Thigpen & cleckley; use of projective tests, which presume the existence of an unconscious mind. Freud and his study on Little Hans where you can link the perspective to the oedipus complex and the psychosexual stages. Then for A2 you could use Kohlberg and his moral development stages which stem from freud's idea of how personality is shaped by learning what is right from wrong :biggrin:
Does anyone know if on Section B, for d) questions, do you have to use the same 2 studies for both the similarity and difference or can you use like 4 different studies?
Original post by mkhan9035
Well they last asked an approach obviously in June 2012 and it is slightly risky, but i can't be bothered revising physiological/developmental! I'm just gonna revise Behaviourist/Psychodynamic/Individual Differences and revise Reductionism and Determinism and go over Case Studies and Observations that's all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I think I might take that risk as well ..
Reply 351
Oh ok so do you think I should revise approaches/perspectives and then the main debates but leave out issues such as ecological validity and ethics?

Do you know what you would write if they asked us to conduct a correlational study in Section A, I really hope that they don't ask for a correlation that would be my worst nightmare.

Oh for the psychodynamic perspective you could use Thigpen & cleckley; use of projective tests, which presume the existence of an unconscious mind. Freud and his study on Little Hans where you can link the perspective to the oedipus complex and the psychosexual stages. Then for A2 you could use Kohlberg and his moral development stages which stem from freud's idea of how personality is shaped by learning what is right from wrong :biggrin:

Oooh. Kohlberg is psychodynamic perspective too?! Great! One more study. I'm leaving out Freud. I don't have time to remember it.

Go over the debates; but... I'm not really going over the issues. Mainly because the issues are very much related with section A - so we should be able to bluff through them even if they come up.

Correlation - mention how you would get the sample, then investigate two variables. To investigate one variable, you could conduct a self-report i.e. their opinions on crime on a rating scale 1 - 10, and to investigate second variable, you could also do another rating scale on their opinions on morality 1 - 10. Then you plot them on a scattergraph.

You often have very little to write about a correlation, so don't panic if you still have half-a-page left in the exam. It's normal :smile: I hope they give us a simple experiment, tbh.
Reply 352
Original post by rosieamphlett
Does anyone know if on Section B, for d) questions, do you have to use the same 2 studies for both the similarity and difference or can you use like 4 different studies?

Its up to you it just depends on how much time you have in the exam, but you only need 1 similarity and 1 difference between 2 studies to back your point up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 353
Original post by rosieamphlett

I think you can use different study if it's asking you to compare approach/debate. :smile:

I.e. compare lab and field.

Difference - lab has low ecological validity - Loftus Weapon Focus, Field has high ecological validity - Fisher
Similarity - they both have an IV manipulated - Bruce (lab), Meichenbaum (field) o.O
Reply 354
Can someone look over my psychodynamic perspective model answer for Section B, Question B and help me cut it down? I feel as if I've wrote way too much:
-Freud study on Little Hans: Freud’s study on little Hans is from the psychodynamic perspective. He did a case study of little hans, a 5 year old boy who was going through the psychosexual stages of development. Freud said that little Hans was suffering from the Oedipus complex which is when he develops feelings for his mother which causes him to feel guilty and fear his father. He also had a fear of horses which freud linked to little Hans’ fear of his father due to the blinkers of the horse looking like his father glasses and moustache. Freud concluded that little Hans was demonstrating development through the psychosexual stages of development and clear evidence that he was suffering from the Oedipus complex as he feared his father as a rival which shows that this study is from the psychodynamic perspective.
-Thigpen and Cleckley study on MPD: Thigpen and Cleckley’s study on Multiple Personalities Disorder focuses on Eve’s different personalities in the same body and how they revealed themselves to the therapists over a long period of time. Using psychodynamic tests, Eve White was found to be emotionally repressed and Eve Black was emotionally regressed. They were able to conclude that the MPD was because of Eve’s traumatic childhood. This supports how personality can be shaped by experiences during childhood and how a traumatic childhood leads Eve to have multiple personalities during adulthood. Throughout childhood her ego was low due to traumatic events and the psychodynamic perspective explains how as a result of this, abnormal behaviour occurred and this is seen through MPD.
Reply 355
on what on extent is psychology as science

does have any essays on this

need to see an example

anyone plz help me
Original post by Cryl
I think you can use different study if it's asking you to compare approach/debate. :smile:

I.e. compare lab and field.

Difference - lab has low ecological validity - Loftus Weapon Focus, Field has high ecological validity - Fisher
Similarity - they both have an IV manipulated - Bruce (lab), Meichenbaum (field) o.O

yeah that's what i thought, just checking, thanks :smile:
Reply 357
Guys..

If it was interview on section A, which i think it might be

How would you go about making the sample and method realistic and practical?

Would opportunity sample from a school or community centre be best? and how would you say you would collect the data? record the interviews or take notes and how would you present it etc?

HELP US ALL
Reply 358
Also what studies are 100% behaviourist

Watson and rayner, bandura, and any others??
Reply 359
What does everyone think that might come up for Section A? It was Observation last time and Experiment in Jun 2012. Btw can Self report come up in Section A?, I don't think thats ever come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending