The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by TDH1
Please can someone explain as simply as possible what is ordinal, interval and I can't remember the other one (think it's numeric) data is?

Really worried because I just can't seem to understand what it is!

Ordinal data is basically numbers but there are no proper units like maths scores etc
Interval data is again numbers but with a scale e.g. person A took 2 minutes and 5 seconds to do the test
Nominal data is just categories like how many people said yes/no etc

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 381
Original post by lankan-gurl
Ordinal data tells you the position of an item in a group i.e its data that can be put in rank order eg; in a cross country race people might not notice how many runners there are but simply focus on what order they finished in relation to each other eg; first, second

Interval and ratio data are both measurements on a scale, the intervals of which are known and equal. - I don't think there is too much of a focus on this one, there is however focus on the other two.

Nominal data is a simple frequency headcount i.e the number of times something occurred. eg; if school x was competing against school y then organisers would try and work out which school had won by counting up the number of entrants from each that successfully completed that course.

Thank you so much!!
Reply 382
Can someone help me, I can't think of anymore strengths for the psychodynamic! I've only got that it uses case studies
Reply 383
Original post by ames95
Also what studies are 100% behaviourist

Watson and rayner, bandura, and any others??

Pavlovs dogs (Classical conditioning) and Skinners rats (operant conditioning), I believe Griffiths is also a behaviourist study, as it looks at how gambling behaviour changes from regulars, to non-regulars.
Reply 384
What is the spearmans ranking test and how would you use it for correlation?
Original post by Chars3
Can someone help me, I can't think of anymore strengths for the psychodynamic! I've only got that it uses case studies

The fact that it uses case studies in itself is a big advantage because it allows the researcher to study an individual or a group of similar people with a rare disorder over a long period of time, so in-depth, qualitative data can be collected. eg; Freud

Another strength is that it recognises the importance of the unconscious mind in making sense of why people behave the way they do this can often explain behaviours that other approaches cannot.
Reply 386
The fact that it uses case studies in itself is a big advantage because it allows the researcher to study an individual or a group of similar people with a rare disorder over a long period of time, so in-depth, qualitative data can be collected. eg; Freud

Another strength is that it recognises the importance of the unconscious mind in making sense of why people behave the way they do this can often explain behaviours that other approaches cannot.

Thank you ;D
Reply 387
Does anyone know whether we're allowed to use different issues/debates for issue/debate questions? For example could I say that the situational explanation for behaviour is reductionist because it doesn't look at the type of individual?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 388
Original post by mkhan9035
You've got McGrath (Systematic Desensitisation), Budzynski (Biofeedback)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is Buzysnki and mcgrath definitely behaviourist perspective though?

Also if it was interview in section A (self report) how would you say you'd collect and present the data? and would an opportunity sample in a school or community centre be good?x
Reply 389
If I used a likert scale from 1-10 to measure two variables in relation to each other in a questionnaire, Humour and popularity, what statistical test would I use?

I've said that I would use Spearman-rank? Is that right anyone?
Reply 390
Original post by AliceD
Section B was reliability and the individual/situational debate :smile:

so there was no approach in that paper :O?
Reply 391
Original post by mkhan9035
I'm stressing out revising for this exam cause I just don't have time to revise everything! So far i've revised Individual Differences and Behaviourist Perspective! I need to revise Psychodynamic but don't know if its worth revising Physiological or Developmental?

Posted from TSR Mobile

cognitive and social have both been repeated from 2010 in 2012 so phsyiological and developmental have a high chance of being the approach that comes up right? unless one came up in Jan 2013 they havent come up since 2011
Reply 392
How long roughly does section A question 2 need to be? The 19 mark one.. also if anyone has an example answer can you please post it!
Does anyone think there is any point of learning about observation for section B? seeing as it came up in Section A of the jan paper?

Also out of the approaches how likely is it that physiological, social and cognitive would come up?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 394
Original post by sonia___x
How long roughly does section A question 2 need to be? The 19 mark one.. also if anyone has an example answer can you please post it!

About the space they give you, depends on your writing size, here's an example of mine that scored 19 :smile:
Reply 395
Does anyone think there is any point of learning about observation for section B? seeing as it came up in Section A of the jan paper?

Also out of the approaches how likely is it that physiological, social and cognitive would come up?

Not sure, probably worth noting down a few strengths and weaknesses in case you use an observational study as an example.

Social and cognitive have already come up twice so out of those I think, I'd say physiological is most likely.
Reply 396
is there a chance physiological could come up?????? I would be so happy!!!
Original post by RazBB
Not sure, probably worth noting down a few strengths and weaknesses in case you use an observational study as an example.

Social and cognitive have already come up twice so out of those I think, I'd say physiological is most likely.

Thanks :smile: do you think I should just leave out cog and social then? when was the last time it appeared in the paper? Also what do you mean if I was to use an observational study as an example?
Reply 398
i don't really like individual/psych and behaviourists
Reply 399
finding this harder then then the January paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending