The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emma2013
Hiya everyone, here is a link to my massive revision powerpoint for the Aeneid, on getrevising.com :smile:
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/aeneid_iv_complete_translation_and_notes
Hope it helps x

Holy omnipotent father, you're not kidding when you say they're extensive. 216 slides?! How long did that take you?! Thank you!
Reply 101
For the 25 mark questions, I would say to pick out 4 themes, discuss them, and then write a conclusion. The discussion should involve how the style of the passage is evidence to the theme, and the themes should show what the question is asking.
Reply 102
Original post by joereed
For the 25 mark questions, I would say to pick out 4 themes, discuss them, and then write a conclusion. The discussion should involve how the style of the passage is evidence to the theme, and the themes should show what the question is asking.

when you say style do you mean emphatic positioning etc or the manner of writing and content in relation to other events in the Book? That may be a stupid question but oh well :colondollar:
Reply 103
Original post by ohmygosh
when you say style do you mean emphatic positioning etc or the manner of writing and content in relation to other events in the Book? That may be a stupid question but oh well :colondollar:

Definitely not stupid! In terms of style I mean positioning, enjambment, chiasmus etc. But you are right in saying this should also be backed up by historical content, as 10 marks are for the content, 15 for analysis.
Reply 104
Original post by joereed
Definitely not stupid! In terms of style I mean positioning, enjambment, chiasmus etc. But you are right in saying this should also be backed up by historical content, as 10 marks are for the content, 15 for analysis.

haha okay thanks for the helpful guidance :tongue:
Reply 105
haha okay thanks for the helpful guidance :tongue:

My teacher suggested - mini introduction, 4 paragraphs on the 4 themes in the passage given, then a mini conclusion. It has to be quite succinct, but this structure should be ok. Just spend a couple of minutes at the beginning reading over the passage and don't just rush in there blindly. You may end up as Dido!
Is anyone doing Propertius here? There's a lot less to sustain four paragraphs on for the 25 markers! I tend to manage two or three max.

As to the translation/no translation argument, I think it's fine to use context, as someone else said earlier, rather than literal translation for every line. If you've got time you might as well do the latter, but the mark scheme is quite open. So I think use of evidence is mainly quoting Latin for the first and showing you understand it, whether with a literal translation or a general reference, and then for the second, quoting English or Latin where you can. I think they're more lenient on the second.

Spoiler

Reply 107
Original post by SixteenHundred
Is anyone doing Propertius here? There's a lot less to sustain four paragraphs on for the 25 markers! I tend to manage two or three max.

As to the translation/no translation argument, I think it's fine to use context, as someone else said earlier, rather than literal translation for every line. If you've got time you might as well do the latter, but the mark scheme is quite open. So I think use of evidence is mainly quoting Latin for the first and showing you understand it, whether with a literal translation or a general reference, and then for the second, quoting English or Latin where you can. I think they're more lenient on the second.

Spoiler

Yep I think that quotation in the 2nd question isn't required as much. I must say that by translating a quote, it shows you understand it.
Original post by cornflaked
Holy omnipotent father, you're not kidding when you say they're extensive. 216 slides?! How long did that take you?! Thank you!

Only about 3 months :wink: It was worth it though, I feel quite secure with the Virgil now (not with the sallust though aha)
Reply 109
Original post by joereed
My teacher suggested - mini introduction, 4 paragraphs on the 4 themes in the passage given, then a mini conclusion. It has to be quite succinct, but this structure should be ok. Just spend a couple of minutes at the beginning reading over the passage and don't just rush in there blindly. You may end up as Dido!

hahahahahahahahaha! this made me laugh a lot and I pray this doesn't happen. thanks for the structure too, I'll try to apply it :smile:
Anybody got any good resources for the Ovid?
Reply 111
Its hard to know where to devote your time in your last minute revision - language or virgil?
Original post by joereed

Is that for the close analysis one or the general one... or both?! Because for the close analysis ones isn't it just how effective the passage is, and you don't *need* to talk about themes? :s-smilie:
Reply 113
Original post by cornflaked
Is that for the close analysis one or the general one... or both?! Because for the close analysis ones isn't it just how effective the passage is, and you don't *need* to talk about themes? :s-smilie:

When I say themes I mean sort of what is going on in the passage. 4 key elements to the passage and discuss them. That's just what my teacher advised.
Reply 114
What order is everyone doing the exam in? Essays then translation? translation then essays?

I will most definitely be doing the translation first, to hopefully have more time for the essays.
Reply 115
Original post by joereed
What order is everyone doing the exam in? Essays then translation? translation then essays?

I will most definitely be doing the translation first, to hopefully have more time for the essays.

essays first, hopefully within the first hour but i'll check through the translation first to get my bearings on the difficulty level
Reply 116
essays first, hopefully within the first hour but i'll check through the translation first to get my bearings on the difficulty level

Whats the reasoning behind it?

sorry that wasn't meant to sound horrible haha
Reply 117
Original post by joereed
Whats the reasoning behind it?

sorry that wasn't meant to sound horrible haha

don't worry it didn't! :smile: basically I find the translation almost impossible for the Ovid, so I plan to get as many marks I can on the essays and get off to a positive start. Hopefully it will keep me calmer than looking at the Ovid and wanting to leave the exam! I think it is just to bank some marks where I know what is going on, and then muddle through the unseen.
Reply 118
don't worry it didn't! :smile: basically I find the translation almost impossible for the Ovid, so I plan to get as many marks I can on the essays and get off to a positive start. Hopefully it will keep me calmer than looking at the Ovid and wanting to leave the exam! I think it is just to bank some marks where I know what is going on, and then muddle through the unseen.

That's fair reasoning, whatever suits you best. I have to say I find doing the translation first means I have more time for the essays and so the depth of them is much better. Why do you find he Ovid hard? is it just his strange stories?
Reply 119
Original post by joereed
That's fair reasoning, whatever suits you best. I have to say I find doing the translation first means I have more time for the essays and so the depth of them is much better. Why do you find he Ovid hard? is it just his strange stories?

I think both ways are effective, just personal preference I guess. I can never seem to follow Ovid's thought process (I think this makes me more comfortable about my sanity but not for the exam!) I'm also lacking a lot of knowledge on declensions etc so that makes it quite a challenge unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending