The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3760
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I have only done an essay on causes of disease in human, just look at essay plans on mark schemes, and its amazing what you can remember in an exam :smile:

plans and mark schemes for all essays or you narrowed them down?
Original post by ahmmm
YEAH BUT THERE'S LOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADS OF THEM OH MY DAYS :eek: i really need to narrow them down to the essays most likely to come up, but i dont even know which ones those are!!!

So far i've done...

- How structure of cells relate to their function
- Control of/within living organisms
- Negative feedback and its importance
- Different ways organisms use ATP
- Inorganic ions
- Movement of substances within organisms
- Enzymes and their importance in plants and animals

They cover a wide range so :smile:
Original post by Mocking_bird
Did you get the essay plan booklet thing they gave out in the final week?
I've just been using that and making plans for them and then making really brief notes on the things ive forgot :P

Hi could you please post the essay plan booklet thing as I was not given it

Thanks very much
Me :biggrin:
Reply 3763
can sum1 please explain translation to me. thanks
Reply 3764
Original post by pjanoo
Would you advise recapping anything else and why particularly those topics? Thanks

When you do essay plans or look over other people's essays or essay plans your will realise the topics you don't have a clue about haha, or things that come up regularly. Go over these.
resp and photo link into many different essays so that's why it's good to recap those. Also a good essay contains info from all 3 kingdoms; animals/insects, bacteria and plants. That's why I was saying to have a little look over plants :smile:
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Homeostasis?

Definition of homeostasis
Glucose levels
What happens to it when its too high? (islets of Langerhans, pancreatic beta alpha cells etc.)
What happens if its too low?

Temperature maintenance......
Vasodialation
Vasoconstriction
Heat from respiration
Ectotherms
Endotherms
Water potential of blood plasma needs to be maintained (otherwise cells become turgid/plasmolysed)

Great list! I meant I hope there's an essay on Homeostasis tomorrow :rolleyes:
Reply 3766
Original post by lou95-xox
wonder if anyone could help me? I understand water can move through the root hair cell of a plant by the apoplastic and symplastic pathway, and i understand the route each of these takes. however does the water move by osmosis in both conditions? or diffuse? rather confused :smile: xxx

In the symplastic pathway it is moving by osmosis through the cytoplasm of the cells. In the apoplastic pathway the water is moving because cohesive properties of water molecules create a tension that draws water along the cells walls of the cells of the root cortex.
Reply 3767
Original post by rm.xo
When you do essay plans or look over other people's essays or essay plans your will realise the topics you don't have a clue about haha, or things that come up regularly. Go over these.
resp and photo link into many different essays so that's why it's good to recap those. Also a good essay contains info from all 3 kingdoms; animals/insects, bacteria and plants. That's why I was saying to have a little look over plants :smile:

Thanks that's really helpful :smile:
Reply 3768
Does anyone have any thoughts on what they think the essay may be on?
OMGOSH SO NERVOUS ASDFHJKL

Any tips for when your mind just goes completely blank like mine's just gone?
Reply 3770
Original post by billybobs
Great list! I meant I hope there's an essay on Homeostasis tomorrow :rolleyes:

That would be one of the easiest i think the worst for me would be anything to do with DNA now that ive said that we all know whats coming up ... lol
Why is DNA Ligase used to join sticky ends in In vito cloning and not DNA polymerase? Thanks
Reply 3772
My ESSAY hunch
* Biological importance of water
* Homoeostasis
* ATP (production and uses)
* Variation & importance
* Ions
* Interdependence of organisms
* Carbohydrates
DISCLAIMER : I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF NONE OF THESE ESSAYS COME UP!
Reply 3773
Original post by ahmmm
ive gone over post synoptic stuff like the cycles etc.. need to go over the bio5 stuff again but dunno what do to do for these essays :| just made the plan on the atp essay so far, which essays have you made plans on?

I've done over 20 plans hahaha! But that's only because I'm so **** at essays. Don't go over essays that have came up before; its pointless. Do new ones eg how living organisms use ATP, importance of membranes in biological processes, ways in which organisms use inorganic ions etc. give yourself a paragraph title in your plan then bullet point points for it. Then move onto the next paragraph.
Our teacher recommends putting examples in the essay of animals, plants, bacteria and fungi. I have absolutely no idea about fungi, is there anything anyone could suggest or should I just completely ignore it! Thanks :smile:
Can anyone explain what we need to know about tumour suppressor genes and proto-oncogenes please?
Original post by Minnie me
Hi could you please post the essay plan booklet thing as I was not given it

Thanks very much
Me :biggrin:

I don't have a copy of it online as it was given out in mine and Ahms sixth form.
I'm sure if you google around you'll find a bunch of plans though.
Reply 3777
Original post by pjanoo
Thanks that's really helpful :smile:

No worries :colondollar: good luck tomorrow!
Original post by Mocking_bird
So far i've done...

- How structure of cells relate to their function
- Control of/within living organisms
- Negative feedback and its importance
- Different ways organisms use ATP
- Inorganic ions
- Movement of substances within organisms
- Enzymes and their importance in plants and animals

They cover a wide range so :smile:

Is the control essay just referring to homeostasis (positive and negative feedbacks)?
This time tomorrow we will have completed A level biology, it's also my last exam so, END OF A LEVELS!

Latest

Trending

Trending