- How structure of cells relate to their function
- Control of/within living organisms
- Negative feedback and its importance
- Different ways organisms use ATP
- Inorganic ions
- Movement of substances within organisms
- Enzymes and their importance in plants and animals

They cover a wide range so :smile:

daym lets just hope garnzzzzzz is right and atp comes up!
Reply 3781
Original post by rm.xo
No worries :colondollar: good luck tomorrow!

Thank you!! Best of luck to you too :biggrin:
Also I was chatting with friends last night and one of them suggested reading the essay plans before you start the exam paper, then if you come up with any ideas relevant to the essay while you are going through your paper, you can add them into your plan :smile:

What do people think to this method?
Original post by starfish232
Is the control essay just referring to homeostasis (positive and negative feedbacks)?

Pretty much, along with tropisms, muscle contractions, and biological/chemical control of populations
Reply 3784
Original post by rm.xo
I've done over 20 plans hahaha! But that's only because I'm so **** at essays. Don't go over essays that have came up before; its pointless. Do new ones eg how living organisms use ATP, importance of membranes in biological processes, ways in which organisms use inorganic ions etc. give yourself a paragraph title in your plan then bullet point points for it. Then move onto the next paragraph.

i might just risk it and stick with my atp essay plan hahaha
Original post by angel2
My ESSAY hunch
* Biological importance of water
* Homoeostasis
* ATP (production and uses)
* Variation & importance
* Ions
* Interdependence of organisms
* Carbohydrates
DISCLAIMER : I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF NONE OF THESE ESSAYS COME UP!

What do you mean by 'interdependence of organisms'? what would this essay include?
Original post by thegodofgod
I just want to kill the chief examiner of AQA Biology :tongue:

Not as much as I want to kill the Chief examiner of Edexcel Maths!
Original post by angel2
My ESSAY hunch
* Homoeostasis
* Variation & importance
* Ions
* Carbohydrates

Please could you summarise the points that you put for the Ions essay please? :biggrin:
Reply 3788
Original post by JessicaTSR
Also I was chatting with friends last night and one of them suggested reading the essay plans before you start the exam paper, then if you come up with any ideas relevant to the essay while you are going through your paper, you can add them into your plan :smile:

I think that's a good method, going through the questions something might pop up in your mind for you to mention which would lead to another topic and so on.. definitely will give it a go :smile:
Plan for a lipid essay

Triglycerides synthesis from fatty acids (carboxylic) and glycerol. Beta oxidation to acetylcoa in anaerobic e.g. Germination in seeds. Stored in adipose cells - mobilised by glucagon. Unsaturated or saturated

Membranes phospholipids, heads or tails fluid mosaic allows regulation of entry and exit. Cholesterol as stability regulator and influence on atheroma formation

Steroids transcription factor - oestrogen

Sphingolipids - myelin sheath, salutary propagation

Waxes - hydrophobic, exoskeletons, cuticles, sebum

Buoyancy - swim bladders in teleosts etc. Omega 3 fatty concept of essential fatty acids

Anything missing?
Original post by JessicaTSR

If you don't like the essay questions, then it will put you off throughout the rest of the exam duration. Besides, I'll be fully focussed on trying to score as many marks from the questions and the essay plan will be the last thing I'll have in mind.
what the plan for structure of cells?
Original post by Mocking_bird
So far i've done...

- How structure of cells relate to their function
- Control of/within living organisms
- Negative feedback and its importance
- Different ways organisms use ATP
- Inorganic ions
- Movement of substances within organisms
- Enzymes and their importance in plants and animals

They cover a wide range so :smile:

Hey Mocking, I just wondered, what have you done for structure of cells, currently doing a plan on that

I've got:
- Flagella in Sperm + Cholera
- Lots of mitochondria in Sperm and Slow twitch fibres.
- Phagocytes and T-cells have specific antigen presenting sites on them.
- Neurones are myelinated, have dendrites/axons too.
- Microvilli in epithelial cells for absorption
- Prokaryotic cells are able to conjugate (antibiotic resistance)
- (Not sure about this one) Dead cells line the xylem?
Original post by Mocking_bird
Pretty much, along with tropisms, muscle contractions, and biological/chemical control of populations

Could you give some examples of this?
All I can think of is agricultural control of pests which I don't think that relevant...
What could you include in an essay on carbohydrates? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3795
Original post by bilala2
can sum1 please explain translation to me. thanks

Translation is where an mRNA strand that codes for a polypeptide chain (protein) is translated. The mRNA strand moves into a ribosome and as it moves along, tRNA molecules with an anticodon complimentary to the codon on the mRNA bind togeather. tRNA have an amino acid attached to the top of them, and when two tRNA molecules are next to each other in the ribosome their amino acids are joined by a peptide bond. The first tRNA leaves the ribosome and let's go of the mRNA's codon and leaves its amino acid behind. Another tRNA then binds to the mRNA and enters the ribosome and it's amino acid is joined to the first two acids, and so on. When the mRNA reaches a stop codon, translation is complete and the polypeptide chain of amino acids (the protein) moves away

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3796
Original post by aWildPidgey
Mixture of these in four test tubes: (PCR used to amplify DNA strand to be sequenced)

- Single-stranded DNA template (to be sequenced)

- DNA Polymerase (Joins ADJACENT nucleotides)

- Lots of DNA Primer (short pieces of DNA)

- Free normal nucleotides (ATCG)

- Fluorescently-labelled terminator nucleotides (A*T*C*G*)

The DNA primers attach the start of the DNA strand to be sequenced to allow more nucleotides to be added, and then normal nucleotides bond to their complementary bases on the DNA strand, until a terminator nucleotides bond to their complementary nucleotide (A* to T, C* to G, T* to A, G* to C). This happens at every possible point producing all the possible different fragments.

Then, gel electrophoresis is used and the smaller (fewer bases) travel further after a current is applied. So, once this has been done for all of the test tubes (1 type of terminator nucleotide in each), you can read upwards from the DNA fragments at the bottom of the gel to find the COMPLEMENTARY SEQUENCE TO THE DNA STRAND BEING SEQUENCED. If you read TTCAGGTA, then the DNA sequence that you're trying to determine is AAGTCCAT

:smile:

Wait a min i dont get it so whats the point in DNA sequencing and do all the test tubes contain the exact same orig single DNA strand and primer if so they would all be terminated at same time wouldnt they :s soz struggled with this more then anything else would really help if someone could explain ! :biggrin:
Reply 3797
Original post by James A
This question has been asked for the 100th time [srs] but why does the mark scheme say that the tumor suppressor gene is altered? Why not the proto-oncogene?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

6c)ii

because even if you get oncagens the tumour supressor gene still work slowing down cell division preventing the cancer.
Basically bro you can only get cancer if your tumor supressor genes mutate.
Original post by James A
If you don't like the essay questions, then it will put you off throughout the rest of the exam duration. Besides, I'll be fully focussed on trying to score as many marks from the questions and the essay plan will be the last thing I'll have in mind.

True, but also if you don't like the essay questions you know you've gotta do your very best to grab every little mark you can, plus it would give you more thinking time which might make them feel less intimidating!
Reply 3799
Original post by angel2
My ESSAY hunch
* Homoeostasis
* Variation & importance
* Ions
* Carbohydrates

so you're just revising them?

Latest

Trending

Trending